VOGONS

My ASUS P2B Pentium II Build

Topic actions

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone. I thought I would join up to share my Windows 98 gaming PC I've cobbled together and hopefully get some advice too!

I've been interested in building a late 90s PC for a while (after watching LGR's DOS build), just for the challenge as I've built PCs from the sort of S775 era and onwards. I already have a 4770k/390X main PC and C2D E7400/AMD 4850 Windows XP PC with a DVD drive that is perfectly capable of playing late 90s games, so this new build really is entirely pointless. After some research I decided on a slot 1 build just because it would be "more interesting" and I kickstarted the project by buying an ASUS P2B from eBay for £20. I had no idea at the time it was a pretty good board, rather it was one of the only non OEM boards on eBay. In the mean time I realised I didn't have any IDE drives or cables and rather than buying them separately which would add up in no time, I hit up Gumtree (basically a British Craigslist) and brought home this "office clearance" PC for £7.50:

6Yu2Wdah.jpg?1
7V8nrT8h.jpg
ta9MnIMh.jpg

It's a S478 P4 2.4GHz in a fabulously beige case, made by Novatech, a relatively well regarded custom PC shop. Covered in dust and rust. Crucially it came with all the IDE cables drives 3.5" floppy drive paraphernalia I would need including a PS/2 keyboard and mouse. It did come with a Leadtek Winfast Geforce 4200ti which was a nice suriprise! I gave it a wash, and dusted off and stored the kit it came with, and it polished up alright in the end:

IGXP6ISh.jpg

Unfortunately I did not do my research and bought a Coppermine PIII CPU that a) wouldn't fit in the Slot1 retention clips because of it's OEM cooler and b) wasn't supported by my motherboard revision 1.04 (or bios) anyway! This was replaced by a 450MHz PII, which thankfully slots in with a lovely snap.

zAwuXZVh.jpg

In the meantime I also purchased a Nvidia TNT2 Pro, 196MB of PC100 SDRAM, and a load of jumpers so I could set the FSB for the CPU. I then had to install Windows 98SE, which was a bit of an adventure. I've done Windows XP, Vista 7 and 10 numerous times but using a floppy bootdisk was new for me! I then learned that the motherboard can only ever see 8.4GB of HDD space (if your harddrive is over 120GB or something?) So I ended up formatting the HDD in my Windows XP PC with a 30GB primary partition and then bootwith with the floppy and installing straight onto the freshly formatted drive.

Anyway with all said and done (minus a bit of memory compatibility which drops me down to 128MB), I've now got a nice and tidy (and wonderfully silent!) period PC 😀

6PLRJyMh.jpg
22LPmJwh.jpg
QGdfUjqh.jpg

If you would like to see the build log including with more pictures and the many many mistakes I made and glossed over in the post, have a look at https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/win … build.18770371/ (if that is allowed!)

Next up will be getting later/ optimal video drivers sorted (and perhaps persuading the 4200ti to play nice with W98SE), overclocking the CPU and bodging, I mean engineering, a fan of some kind and playing lots of games I wouldn't have heard of in 1999! Maybe painting the case 😀 I also have a PIII 500MHz that I'd like to install but it doesn't seem to boot in the PC.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was a fun read indeed! 😁

Btw your memory problems might be solved if you use the DIMM with the highest latency (the PC100 - 322- 620 one) in DIMM1 slot and the faster ones (the PC100 - 222 - 620 ones) in DIMM2 and DIMM3. I'm not sure as the pic of your board which shows your memory modules is a bit too vague, but it looks like the 2 PC-100 222 modules look similar and the 322 one looks a bit different and if that's the case, the 322 one was in the middle (which could account for the instability).nvm I noticed that I had noticed wrong. Maybe I should go get some sleep 🤣!
But anyway you could try the third module in the first memory slot and the ones with better timings in the later DIMM slots. It was a common trick I did and it helps prevent memory modules from causing intermittent stability issues of the most annoying kind due to them running out of spec.
But if this fixes your stability problem, it nice to have 192MB instead of 128MB 😀.

Other than that you could give memtest a try (there was a bootable floppy one, it worked fine and might be a fun little retro activity for you 😜).

My P2B was a 1.10 and I was fortunate enough to have one that did support Coppermine but not fortunate enough to actually know about this till after I had gotten myself a 550MHz Katmai 😵

Thanks for sharing your story here! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 24, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Ti4200 ought to play with Windows 98 SE just fine. In fact, for non-Glide game I feel it's probably close to one of the best High-End Windows 98 gaming cards out there. It will play lots of games that play better in Windows 98 then they do on XP. Not to mention late DOS games.

Are you sure you can't get Coppermine support with a simple bios upgrade?

EDIT: According to the page below you should be able to run a coppermine if you use a FPGA version with a Slotket or even a Tualatin if you have a Tualatin compatible slotket.

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Reply 4 of 24, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Btw your memory problems might be solved if you use the DIMM with the highest latency (the PC100 - 322- 620 one) in DIMM1 slot and the faster ones (the PC100 - 222 - 620 ones) in DIMM2 and DIMM3.

Thanks I'll give that a try. It took a long time for the memory incompatibility to appear so hopefully it will work!

Trank wrote:

I've found that 30.82 drivers play great with Win98se.

The problem I had was no 3D acceleration on a couple of driver versions that I had downloaded from the Nvidia archive. And then the drivers would not uninstall at all, so I ended up doing a Windows reinstall (I had only installed a few games on there so no big loss).

Reply 5 of 24, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 50MHz overclock wasn't stable, which I assumed was due to overheating (given that my PII doesn't have a fan), so this was my solution 😉

OstVuBbh.jpg

Reply 6 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:
My 50MHz overclock wasn't stable, which I assumed was due to overheating (given that my PII doesn't have a fan), so this was my […]
Show full quote

My 50MHz overclock wasn't stable, which I assumed was due to overheating (given that my PII doesn't have a fan), so this was my solution 😉

OstVuBbh.jpg

That's pretty nifty, but keep in mind rubber bands aren't a very popular method of solving retro computer problems in the long run due to rubber bands tending to dry out and falling apart so I wouldn't recommend using this fix as a permanent solution (but I still like it due to it showing your creativity 😀).

You could mount a fan on the CPU itself and add a case fan. Many older PSUs tended to run their fans faster and while this increases noise levels, it also increases airflow.
Btw, for this reason I liked one of my AOpen PSUs (which was actually a 300W FSP unit) so much as it actually had a knob on the back (near to where the flip switch of the PSU is) which is for regulating the PSU's 12cm fan 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 24, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

there are alot of PII cooling kits out there, however do note that not all fit the plastic covers of the PII. Currently I am using a cooling kit from Cooler Master which seems to do the job just fine but is only a 50mm fan, but it didn't fit my deschutes cover (had to replace it with another cover just so it would fit), try ebay or your local websites for these coolers.
Another option is using case fan + plastic exchaust "pipe" which were popular with PII passive cooled heatsinks and later used as single exhaust points with new cases, I had this myself in my athlon wich functioned as a tunnel cooling with 1 fan on the CPU and 1 fan on the side of the case creating a wind tunnel effect).

Reply 9 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If a PII already has a passive cooling solution which I want to improve, the easiest way to me is to simply 'activate' it 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 24, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently picked up a P2B rev 1.04 as well. Highest cpu supported is P3-600/100 Katmai. But if you use a slotket with voltage adjustment, you could potentially use P3 Coppermine.

Mine came with a P2-350. I think original SECC heatsink/fans are going to be a PITA to find.

Reply 11 of 24, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have to agree with Tetrium in the CPU cooling question, if you want something more permanent. Just "activate" the passive cooling by mounting a fan on the heat sink, even a minimal airflow will do wonders. If you feed it with, say 7 volts, even a small fan will be virtually noiseless. A properly dimensioned resistor in series with the fan would do the job if you don't have a spare fan controller. If you post the fan's current or power rating, there are plenty of people here that could help you with the resistor calculations. Otherwise, there's always the option of making a fan shroud/adapter out of thin sheet metal or something, and use a larger fan. A little bit more work with that though.

About drivers for GF4 family cards; done quite a lot of experimenting through the years, and so far my Detonator version of choice for those is 45.23. Those drivers never let me down, can't remember a single game they gave me trouble with.

Reply 12 of 24, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have similar setup:

ASUS P2B mobo
Pentium II 400Mhz 100Mhz FSB
256MB RAM Kingston
Matrox Millennium II 8MB AGP
Diamond Monster Voodoo2 8MB SLI
Aureal Vortex 2 Diamond Monster Sound MX300
Maxtor HDD's

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 13 of 24, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

If a PII already has a passive cooling solution which I want to improve, the easiest way to me is to simply 'activate' it 😜

To be honest, this was just a 'prototype' to test whether my CPU overclock was unstable due to overheating rather than a permanent cooling solution, and I got fed up of holding a fan in one hand whilst gaming with the other! It turns out my PC is still unstable, even with that 120mm fan spinning at 2200RPM moving a lot of air over the CPU and RAM. So it must be something else 😒 For the moment I am back with 450MHz and a silent PC...

Reply 14 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

To be honest, this was just a 'prototype' to test whether my CPU overclock was unstable due to overheating rather than a permanent cooling solution, and I got fed up of holding a fan in one hand whilst gaming with the other! It turns out my PC is still unstable, even with that 120mm fan spinning at 2200RPM moving a lot of air over the CPU and RAM. So it must be something else 😒 For the moment I am back with 450MHz and a silent PC...

If cooling the heatsink is not the problem, maybe its the way the heatsink is fitted to the CPU cartridge (the Slot 1 CPUs often had the cache chips not touch the heatsink so extra cooling of the heatsink will not matter here). But quite frankly, replacing the Deschutes with a Katmai will yield good results (I went from 350MHz Deschutes to 550MHz Katmai and the speed increase was even noticeable when booting).

No worries, I think you're being very creative here and like I said, I enjoy reading about your efforts 😀. It even reminds me of when I started messing around using inventive schemes to get my own rigs working 😜

If you want, you should see my own prototyping in my own retro rig thread (in my sig), I think my 'work' might look somewhat familiar to you 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 24, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've taken the plunge and bought a Slocket and I made sure I got one with lots of voltage / FSB options! I also bought a PIII SL4ZM 700MHz/100MHz FSB/ 1.75v CPU to go with it. How do I cool it? Do I use the heatsink from a SECC / SECC 2 cooler? Or do I need a S370 cooler? The slocket doesn't have any mounting holes...

Reply 16 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:

I've taken the plunge and bought a Slocket and I made sure I got one with lots of voltage / FSB options! I also bought a PIII SL4ZM 700MHz/100MHz FSB/ 1.75v CPU to go with it. How do I cool it? Do I use the heatsink from a SECC / SECC 2 cooler? Or do I need a S370 cooler? The slocket doesn't have any mounting holes...

s370 and sA HSFs are interchangeable and will mount onto the same CPU sockets (provided no components are blocking the heatsink). Slot 1 HSFs are not compatible with any socketed CPU.

edit: here's what I mean

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 24, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, that's very useful to know! This means I can use the Socket 478 cooler than came with the motherboard in the case and save a few £££. Do you think a stock 478 heatsink would be sufficient to passively cool a 700MHz PIII?

Reply 18 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Thanks, that's very useful to know! This means I can use the Socket 478 cooler than came with the motherboard in the case and save a few £££. Do you think a stock 478 heatsink would be sufficient to passively cool a 700MHz PIII?

s478 is NOT compatible with sA/s370/s7/s5/s3

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to recall that some cooling system manufacturers had mounting kits that allowed headsinks to be converted, although I could be mis-remembering. Certainly they're incompatible out of the box.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder