VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings all,

(Pictures are linked because gigantic and I haven't a resizer in Ubuntu on this computer)

This computer was given to me by a retired prof as a bonus to his 386SX/16 system - It came pretty clean, all manuals and software, and an era-correct Windows keyboard. There is a decent amount of rust on the bottom panel, facing outwards (floorwise) for some reason. Otherwise, it's pretty clean. Straight away, the computer didn't want to boot because of an RTC failure. Joyous occasion - It contained the battery inside the RTC (A la Dallas DS1287) - Popped the IC and out came the dremel, soldering iron, and krazy glue to attach the new button cell housing to the top of the RTC. While I was at it, I put in an extra MOLEX for a ZIP drive.

It booted in the following configuration:

-TS54P AIO (Triton FX chipset) - I remember the VX chipset was the desired one...
-P100
-16 Mb RAM
-256K cache
-1.2 Gig drive (Quantum)
-4X Mitsumi CDROM (wretched drives - I remember these things spitting out CDROMS while still spinning, and this one is no exception)
-1.44 Mb floppy
-Soundblaster CT 2940
-ISA V.34 modem
-2 Mb Avance Logic CT 550 PCI video card
-A bare bones Windows 95 (1st OSR)

The previous owner said he received this machine in late 1995, probably around the start of the September semester.

Some soldering required:

sBvSsBll.jpg

I've worked in a computer store for several years in the mid 90s and I've been a keen observer of computers as a kid in the 80s and I've never come across the following case at any point in my life:

Post-upgrade:
Hcf2Jqkl.jpg

Standard back (post-upgrade):

nC8F79ul.jpg

A look inside (post-upgrade):

6RTBQnNl.jpg

I was moderately satisfied with the hardware, but I looked inside my bin of parts and they started calling to me to be used and honestly, I thought I'd never use them (I'm more of a 386/486 kind of guy). The call was answered and this is what emerged:

-A P166 CPU (max this board can support - I also found a 133 but a pin was broken off, as well as a 120 and several other166s and a 200)
-Another 16 Mb of EDO RAM (for a new total of 32)
-A 3COM Parallel Talking II NIC (PCI)
-A 4 port USB card (PCI)
-An IDE Zip/100 drive (most of my retro PCs have one, and I have two external ones for my retro laptops - Easy to move large files between them)
-A Quantum Bigfoot 6.4 Gig hard disk (for games, naturally)
-And finally, I ordered a Rage II+ 4Mb ATI video card (from Poland)

I loaded Windows 98SE on this machine and it works really well. Here's some pics of what's in there now:

x7ndVrKl.jpg

And what came out:

jtsmFRbl.jpg

The Bigfoot (Sorry, it's not coming out of there, it wasn't easy to mount)

wUPxJzCl.jpg

Some POST screens:

A4TEb2Ll.jpg

U8toT10l.jpg

And finally, some case shots (Yes, I did get that LED to work correctly, albeit with an AA cell instead 😉 )

OkIzXN4l.jpg

4jS0r4ol.jpg

Overall, the system works great - I use it for games mainly, and I don't foresee any additional upgrades. Total cost was a day's worth of cleaning and soldering some bits here and there, and the Rage II+ set me back 70 PLN ( about $25 CAD)

It is time to concentrate on my 486DLC now...

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for sharing! I like that Avance Logic card. I don't know much about it, but it doesn't seem very common. At least I don't hear much about it. That makes it interesting. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jed118 wrote:

(Pictures are linked because gigantic and I haven't a resizer in Ubuntu on this computer)

Don't worry, Imgur has some tricks up their sleeve! 😉

Post modified. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 6, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh that's awesome! I was just going to resize them in Windows but it was late and when I put the 166 back together, I had a video card error so I had to spend 20 extra minutes doing the PCI card shuffle and then Windows 98 wanted all the bloody drivers for everything again.

Anyways, thanks! I will do this for the next few builds/upgrades - there are going to be 386 and 486 builds upcoming, and at least one 486DLC teardown/rebuild. With this img posting, I can make it easier on the eyes... Also I'm somewhat embarrassed as I used to be really good at foruming in the early 2000s on various car boards...

Reply 4 of 6, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I like that Avance Logic card. I don't know much about it, but it doesn't seem very common. At least I don't hear much about it. That makes it interesting. 😀

I didn't like it because it made the whites too bright (akin to pumping the contrast up too much) - When playing Settlers 2 and especially Nomad (for DOS) it was hard to read some of the text, so much so that I had to lean down and read the warning text from an angle. It also made the reds way too vivid. In Windows it even seemed odd - If any of you have ever watched a Soviet-era TV, you'll know what I mean. I didn't test it on a CRT, perhaps it looks better there. Also, despite 2 MB RAM, I was not able to go past 256 colors at 1024x768 (maybe that's the limit? I could swear my Mach32 ISA did 1024x768x16k in Windows 3.11 in my DLC) and it looked, well, like a Russian TV from the 80s. I got the RageII DVD because I had one as a teenager and it worked very very well. Indeed, now it is displaying 1280x1024 in 24 bit very smoothly and the games are easier to play. The Avance card is safely stowed in an antistatic bag - I may replace the S3 that's in my P-Pro 200, or at least run some benchmarks on them both.

Reply 5 of 6, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A nice and roomy mainboard, just as limited as my 430HX (HOT-553). They even left out the VRM headers from this one 🙁.
Oh well, it's a perfectly good excuse to build a P54C pre-MMX machine 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a 233MMX (VX chipset I think) with 64 MB of SDRAM back in the late 90s - Easily my most favourite machine of the time. I kept it until 2002 or so, using a Voodoo II (6MB IIRC) I think I skipped the PII entirely and went right into P3 from this machine. I wish I took pics of it, it also had a fairly unique case.