VOGONS

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there!

After some struggle with both getting and putting together all the parts I finally finished my classic 486 build. By classic I mean the machine that could be sold around 1993-1994, with some slight exceptions. After giving it a thought, I did not want to make the fastest machine possible, as the concept of "fast" 4x86 and 5x86 being just wanna-be Pentiums really got into my mind.

The specs are as follows:

- Case: generic mini tower. I got one in a very good shape. The panel is free of any imperfections. Due to some rust inside, I decided to get the case powder-coated. I dissassembled everything and got it some nicele structured RAL-9001 paintwork. In my opinion the effect is really good.

- Motherboard: ASUS VL/I-486SVGO (an early edition of SV2GO, which I had but failed to get running). Based on SIS chipset, with 2 VLB slots and PS/2 connector.
- CPU: i486DX2 66 ODPR. It was already in the board as I bought it. I love the purple looks of this CPU. And it supports writeback cache.
- Memory: 16mb FPU (2x8mb)
- Cache: 256kb (the board is expandable to 1024kb, but did not find the proper modules)
- Video: VLB Cardex TSENG-ET4000/W32i with 2mb DRAM
- IDE controller: Longshine LCS-6941 VLB caching controller with 4mb cache (4x1mb modules). I flashed the BIOS with the newest firmwere and now it supports LBA flawslessly! First I had some trouble getting FDD working. It was simply a foulty 1.44 drive.
-Soundcards: Ensoniq Soundscape II Elite (with DSP module) - form MIDI and MT32 emulation, Sound Blaster CT-1600 for OPL3 and Gravis Ultrasound Classic 3.73 for the games that support it and some demos.
- CD-ROM: Mitsumi 2x. Propietary inteface hooked up to Ensoniq card.
- 1.2 and 1.44 floppy drives
- CF-IDE adapter with 2gb CF card (some Sandisk)
- Also replaced the crappy PSU with some better quality one.

Some photos:

20170322_082112_zpsengdu0d0.png

20170322_082130_zpsqvfawvc4.png

20170322_082137_zpsw5x7iay7.png

20170322_082221_zpsqzkdfany.png

20170322_082158_zpsxpzy5oji.png

20170322_082243_zpsasya1row.png

Any suggestions or questions welcome!

Reply 1 of 42, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beautiful machine! Just curious about the choice of CPU:

1) how does it differ from a "usual" P24D performance-wise?
2) any reason you decided not to go the DX4/5x86 route? Those chips seem to be more easily available than an Overdrive, while giving better performance.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 42, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Absolutely loving the powder-coating of the case - makes it look really pleasing to the eye internally. You've really crammed in as much as you can, and this makes a sweet gaming setup, especially with the sound card selection. I'm curious to know the performance difference using compact flash with / without a caching controller.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3 of 42, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for good reception 😀

As to the CPU choice - I have lots of loose CPU's, including IBM 5x86C (which is not supported by the motherboard), i486DX4, etc. - but I decided to go with DX2-66 because I perceive it as a pinnacle of i486 generation. Not in terms of power (as we all know, I could get more even out of a DX4), but in terms of something I would define as market position.

Proof me wrong, but DX2-66, unlike DX4-100, was once state-of-the-art CPU for home/office market. Whereas DX4-100 was competing against Pentiums, being a budget choice. So was Cyrix or AMD with their DX4/5x86 CPUs.

I thought I would put my IBM 5x86c CPU to some PCI-based build. But now I have no heart for this - I am much more interested in building some state-of-the-art 386 now 😀.

I will check how the CF card behaves with cache enabled and disabled and let you all know.

Reply 4 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:

As to the CPU choice - I have lots of loose CPU's, including IBM 5x86C (which is not supported by the motherboard), i486DX4, etc. - but I decided to go with DX2-66 because I perceive it as a pinnacle of i486 generation. Not in terms of power (as we all know, I could get more even out of a DX4), but in terms of something I would define as market position.

Proof me wrong, but DX2-66, unlike DX4-100, was once state-of-the-art CPU for home/office market. Whereas DX4-100 was competing against Pentiums, being a budget choice. So was Cyrix or AMD with their DX4/5x86 CPUs.

I agree with that.
The 486DX2-66 with VLB was a popular platform for a while. Great for games and demos. The 'classic' configuration for games like DOOM, and demos like Second Reality and Crystal Dream 2.
While the 486 was already on the market for a while, the early models were still very expensive, so people still bought 386SX/DX systems. When the DX2-66 came around, the 486 was also becoming an affordable mainstream option. Not to mention that people who did own a DX25 or DX33 could now upgrade to a DX2-50 or DX2-66.
The DX2-66 was the right CPU at the right moment in the upgrade cycle of many people.
I personally went from a 386SX-16 to a 486DX2-66, which was the only 486 I ever used as my primary machine.

Indeed the first DX4s didn't arrive on the market until the Pentium was already out (and faster), making them the budget choice. Sort of like the Celeron of their generation.
I upgraded from my 486DX2-66 to a Pentium 133, skipping all the DX4's and the like.

I suppose the 486DX2-66 also marked the end of the DOS era for me, so it was the pinnacle of DOS as well for me.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 42, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. As a DOS kind of man I can't stand any Windows key on any of my keyboard. Neither I can stand "designed for Windows 95" on late AMD 486 CPUs.

When I started this hobby, I did not care much for being period correct. But now I really require my builds to be authentic. CF cards being some exception, I know.

Reply 6 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:

Neither I can stand "designed for Windows 95" on late AMD 486 CPUs.

They should have been sued for false advertising there.
AMD's 486s were nothing more than reverse-engineered Intel chips (and initially even pirated microcode, like their 386DX, but they changed that).
Explain to me how a CPU released in 1989 (so designed before that), and not even by yourself, can be 'designed for Windows 95', which wasn't even on the Microsoft roadmap back in 1989?

Reply 7 of 42, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was developed with Windows 95 in mind - released in nov.1995. It had several enhancement and top speed - it handled Win95 with ease.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

It was developed with Windows 95 in mind - released in nov.1995. It had several enhancement and top speed - it handled Win95 with ease.

Correlation does not imply causation.
Sure, it handled Win95 with ease, but that's more because Win95 was designed to run on 32-bit x86 CPUs (mainly the Intel 486, which AMD had cloned), not the other way around.
AMD didn't even design the CPU period. Let alone that they designed it for Win95. False advertising.

Reply 9 of 42, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

Honestly, I was simply surprised that a 486DX2@66 Overdrive exists at all. I mean, what is the purpose? Are there any Socket 1-3 motherboards that can't take a regular DX2?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 42, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Honestly, I was simply surprised that a 486DX2@66 Overdrive exists at all. I mean, what is the purpose? Are there any Socket 1-3 motherboards that can't take a regular DX2?

The CPU might work, but the problem is with the cooling.
A 486DX-33 will not usually have a heatsink, let alone a fan.
A DX2-66 would require a heatsink, and some amount of airflow.
The OverDrive models have a small heatsink glued on, and may actually be cherry-picked for less heat generation than a 'normal' DX2-66, which an OEM would install with a larger heatsink and possibly a fan.
So I guess the idea behind the OverDrive products was to offer a reliable drop-in solution that could be guaranteed to work in any 486DX-33 system, and could be installed by regular users, without having to bother with third-party heatsinks, thermal paste or whatever.
Think of it as retail vs OEM.

Reply 13 of 42, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

Guess there weren't any black cases of this kind. I found mine locally. Actually I found two sets and combined the best pieces of them

Always local. I've been hunting out cases like this for a long time. In the US they are few and far between on ebay and shipping costs more than the case 😵

Absolutely beautiful rig. Would love to have one like that again 😊

Great sound setup too!

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 15 of 42, by manuelink64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congratulations dude! 😀
Beautiful/powerfull rig, I really like non-black heatsinks, purple looks so cool. 😊
Incredible sound setup too. 😉

Baby AT are really lovely 😊

[Unisys CWP] [CPU] AMD-X5-133ADZ [RAM] 64 MB (4x36) FPM [HDD] Seagate 8.4GB [Audio] SB16 SCSI 2 (CT1770) [Video] ATI Mach64VT2 [OS] Windows 95 OSR2.5

Reply 16 of 42, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks man! Next I will replace Promise controller with Tekram Dc-680c that I just found and add some really hdd for complete retro experience. And it's done.

Unless you have any idea to hype how it a little more 😉

Reply 17 of 42, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chassis looks mint!

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 19 of 42, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I finally swapped the LCS-6941 controller with TEKRAM DC-680C that arrived in the mail.

First I was skeptical if that would make any difference to the performance of my 486. I was wrong! The speed increase is VERY perceptible.

I also went through speedsys tests with both controllers. You woun't believe but this are the results (both controllers operating with the same memory, cache enabled, shadowing, etc.):

TEKRAM:
Random access time: 0.77ms
Buffered read speed: 18216 KB/s
Linear verify speed: 310066 KB/s
Linear read speed: 2091 KB/s

LCS:
Random access time: 1.07 ms
Buffered read speed: 15073 KB/s
Linear verify speed: 74872 KB/s
Linear read speed: 1011 KB/s

It seems that in some departments (linear verify speed) TEKRAM works more than THREE times faster! It really beats the shit out of Promise thing... The irony is that I payed three times more for Promise than I did for TEKRAM. Or am I commiting some methodological mistake?

TEKRAM also has a very advanced menu with lots of options. Promise in this respect seems extremely limited.