IMG_7148.jpg
Filename
IMG_7148.jpg
File size
76.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is a LPX system made by NEC just after they took over Packard Bell (explains the chassis format), mainly for the Japanese market (but the power supply has a 115V/230V switch). However, underneath the Packard Bell-y case there is a Intel CU430HX OEM board (unfortunately slightly cut down in places).
It uses a riser board with three ISA and two PCI slots (one shared with an ISA slot), has an on-board Bus Master IDE controller with two IDE connectors, on-board floppy interface, ATI Rage II VGA with 2 Mb of SGRAM (1 Mb standard + 1 Mb expansion board) and video feature connector, and Soundblaster Pro/Vibra 16 - unfortunately where the manuals states there should be two MIDI/waveblaster headers this OEM version lacks the headers, also the LAN port was left off.

The rear shows that it has VGA, 2x USB, a parallel port, PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard, line-in and line-out connectors, but also two serial ports that are connected to the main board with ribbon cables:

IMG_7149.jpg
Filename
IMG_7149.jpg
File size
145.4 KiB
Views
File license

Also present is a PCI LAN card by Japanese IT company Buffalo:

IMG_7159.jpg
Filename
IMG_7159.jpg
File size
208.69 KiB
Views
File license

And the 32 Mb of RAM are made by the same company:

IMG_7154.jpg
Filename
IMG_7154.jpg
File size
227 KiB
Views
File license

One nice thing about this system is that it supports ECC modules, with a maximum of 192 Mb RAM.

Video card with memory expansion:

IMG_7156.jpg
Filename
IMG_7156.jpg
File size
271.27 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The riser board sits in between the memory slots/sound card portion of the motherboard and the video portion:

IMG_7153.jpg
Filename
IMG_7153.jpg
File size
220.3 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_7157.jpg
Filename
IMG_7157.jpg
File size
235.03 KiB
Views
File license

Missing wavetable headers on sound card portion of motherboard:

IMG_7155.jpg
Filename
IMG_7155.jpg
File size
187.17 KiB
Views
File license

The processor only has a small heat sink and fan:

IMG_7158.jpg
Filename
IMG_7158.jpg
File size
299.45 KiB
Views
File license

...but there's a big fan that's attached to the front of the case and that sits right next to the processor. When I tested the system the processor fan was a bit noisy, so it might need replacement or a drop of oil.

The missing item next to the processor is for a COAST socket - not sure what the performance impact of missing that will be...

The motherboard's jumper settings are indicated on a sticker on the inside of the case cover:

IMG_7164.jpg
Filename
IMG_7164.jpg
File size
105.15 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CD drive on this machine is really cool, IMHO. It uses a tray that looks like a combination of a CD-tray and cart system, with a little door that opens up when the tray opens (and needs to be manually closed again once the tray is closed) and little moving tabs to keep the CD in place that move when the tray closes:

IMG_7163.jpg
Filename
IMG_7163.jpg
File size
126.46 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_7162.jpg
Filename
IMG_7162.jpg
File size
114.37 KiB
Views
File license

Surprisingly, the CD drive still seems to work flawlessly after 20 years... It also is a standard IDE drive. Unfortunately the system doesn't support booting from CD.

The case unfortunately suffered some minor damage during transit:

IMG_7152.jpg
Filename
IMG_7152.jpg
File size
86.23 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_7151.jpg
Filename
IMG_7151.jpg
File size
256.01 KiB
Views
File license

I'll try repairing the damage to the outside by gluing back the broken piece, but the other part is one of the clamps that holds the front bevel in place. 😒

After switching the power supply from 115V to 230V, I successfully started the machine from a Windows 98 boot floppy (no hard disk). The CD drive worked right away with the OAK CD-ROM driver, and I was able to load (and play) some old DOS games from CD. This also allowed me to confirm that the on-board sound card worked, as the games that could do so without a driver loaded successfully detected one or more of the following: Soundblaster, SB Pro, and/or Adlib FM. Some games defaulted to the PC speaker instead. I was also able to load games that for some reason never wanted to work on my 486 (some others still failed to work though), so it looks like this will make a good vintage gaming PC. I then remembered some Maxis games included a system information program and used that to find out a bit more about my system.

So, now to decide how to continue with this system:
- Compact Flash card to replace hard disk?
- Install my old Adaptec SCSI card and try to revive my SCSI hard disk that I last used 20 years ago?

In any case, I'll need to replace the CMOS battery, as it's dead. Fortunately, it's a CR2032 and not a cancer barrel. BTW, the BIOS is by AMI, and supports emulating a 23 MHz AT machine (real mode only).

Reply 3 of 21, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh that's a weird one, any date stamps on it anywhere? I thought generally NEC took over Packard Bell around '98 so it's a little strange it's a P166 (think that's what you said but can't find it now 🤣).

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Huh that's a weird one, any date stamps on it anywhere? I thought generally NEC took over Packard Bell around '98 so it's a little strange it's a P166 (think that's what you said but can't find it now 🤣).

Specs can be found here (in Japanese): http://web.archive.org/web/19980216132122/htt … ec_promatev.htm

Although the page is from 1998, the release date listed is November 1996 and the CD-ROM drive also has a date stamp of November 1996.

Yesterday I repaired the case damage by gluing the bits back in place with superglue:

IMG_7166.jpg
Filename
IMG_7166.jpg
File size
97.38 KiB
Views
File license

Not a perfect fix, but will do.

I then replaced the CMOS battery, which was a pain in the behind to do because the battery holder held the battery so tightly I had to wedge it out with a flat screwdriver. Today I changed some BIOS settings, discovered the system can actually boot from CD, and later had to change some more settings because setting it to a Plug 'n Play OS causes the onboard sound card to fail in Windows 98 DOS.

I then installed my old Adaptec SCSI controller card, and checked whether it was properly detected at boot and whether I could access the card's BIOS utility:

IMG_7168.jpg
Filename
IMG_7168.jpg
File size
243.03 KiB
Views
File license

That all worked fine, so it was time for the moment of truth:

IMG_7169.jpg
Filename
IMG_7169.jpg
File size
199.8 KiB
Views
File license

Hooked up my old 1Gb SCSI hard disk, an old Compaq server disk. Upon power on, the disk spun right up! 20 years after I last tried to use the drive, I could access my old files on the drive... 😘

IMG_7170.jpg
Filename
IMG_7170.jpg
File size
118.72 KiB
Views
File license

...at least, some of them. Some directories threw up read errors, so off to Scandisk it was. Scandisk has been finding a lot of cluster errors until now, and a partially trashed MBR. The last system this was hooked up to was a AMD Duron MSI-based system with a intermittent power issue that caused it to destroy 2 IDE hard disks and damage a third (that still works fine 15 years on in another system). That system also failed to spin up/read this drive properly, and I also couldn't access the SCSI card's BIOS on it, so I guess the damage was caused back then.

I'll have to wait until Scandisk finishes its simple tasks (might take a while), do a surface scan, and then I think I will reformat the drive and check whether I can use it as a boot disk if I have an IDE CD-ROM drive present.

And I'll need some 5.25"->3.5" brackets to mount it because it's too tall to fit into the standard drive bracket...but I will only buy those after checking whether it works properly. Otherwise I'll have to try and find a larger SCSI drive (if I can boot from SCSI) or IDE drive (might go with a 4Gb CF card).

Reply 5 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, looks like the SCSI drive is toast. Scandisk hangs on 26% completion, FDISK can remove the logical partition but not create a new one as drive verification fails, and the Adaptec SCSISelect utility can't low-level format it until I've verified all of the sectors one by one, which throws up a lot of hardware errors - result of a head crash? It doesn't make any clicking sounds or the like, sounds normal while reading and writing...

Anyone know of an utility that would let me tell the SCSI hard disk to simply skip a whole lot of sectors (i.e. the part of the drive damaged)?

Edit: Apparently the drive has a self-diagnostics mode: http://www.alyon.org/InfosTechniques/informat … s/em2694es.html and http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/f … H-SCSI2-SE.html, which I'll try once I've discovered how it works.

Reply 6 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

Edit: Apparently the drive has a self-diagnostics mode: http://www.alyon.org/InfosTechniques/informat … s/em2694es.html and http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/f … H-SCSI2-SE.html, which I'll try once I've discovered how it works.

Good luck, hope you get it working!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pretty much gave up on it. So that brings the tally of drives destroyed by my shit AMD Duron machine to three... 😵

The SCSI card will see some more life in my Epson MMX machine, probably as a means of talking to a hardware audio sampler and/or MO-drive (and the Epson will be repurposed as a simple MIDI to Yamaha FM sound box since the NEC is better for the games I have).

For the NEC, I think I'll go the compact flash card route, with two CF adapters and two CF cards, as I don't feel like tracking down some <8 Gb hard disks for it.

I've identified the CD drive by the way, it's a NEC CDR-1400a, a 8-speed drive (just slow enough to not be noisy and just fast enough for decent loading times).

Edit: Hmm, interesting. The motherboard on this machine was only available through OEM manufacturers: http://web.archive.org/web/19961220033515/htt … d/oem/index.htm

Reply 8 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Figured I'd get on with this.

yawetaG wrote:

and Soundblaster Pro/Vibra 16 - unfortunately where the manuals states there should be two MIDI/waveblaster headers this OEM version lacks the headers, also the LAN port was left off.

Besides the missing headers it also lacks a game port...

Also present is a PCI LAN card by Japanese IT company Buffalo:

IMG_7159.jpg

LAN card drivers located (I already found them a long time ago, but forgot to post about it):

http://buffalo.jp/download/driver/lan/lci-t2.html

Seems the card worked both in PC98 and AT systems. With the drivers, I should at least have a working network connection.

So, wondering what to do with this. I think it would be a nice little MS-DOS/Windows 3.1 system, although installing NT 4.0 on it is also an option.
Available space:
- 1x internal 3.5" bay
- 1x 5.25" bay
- 3 additional IDE connections max. (CD-ROM takes channel 2 master), however somewhat lacking in space to add more than 2 additional IDE devices
- either 1x PCI + 2x ISA or 3x ISA slots free.

I'm thinking of adding a hard disk, either 3.5" in original bay or 2x 2.5" in adapter in bay.

Slots:
- Since the on-board Rage II does have the feature connector, perhaps a PCI-based MPEG II hardware acceleration card? Any suggestions?
- To get around the limited internal expansion space (and because I'm curious about it) maybe a ISA-based PCMCIA adapter board - wonder if I then add a PCMCIA sound card whether I could use the onboard sound blaster together with the PCMCIA card...

Reply 9 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A slightly failed upgrade attempt

As I mentioned in the recent purchases thread, I got my hands on a PCMCIA adapter, which I wanted to use for this system:

IMG_9348.jpg
Filename
IMG_9348.jpg
File size
129.67 KiB
Views
File license

(Yeah, I know it says "Windows 98", but as you'll see, that would not matter for this system anyway... 😐 )

First, some better looks at the card than what I showed in the other thread. It's a PCI card with an ISA bridge board, suitable for both 16 and 32 bit PCMCIA cards:

IMG_9359.jpg
Filename
IMG_9359.jpg
File size
189 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9360.jpg
Filename
IMG_9360.jpg
File size
184.22 KiB
Views
File license

The boards are connected together using a flat cable:

IMG_9357.jpg
Filename
IMG_9357.jpg
File size
198.16 KiB
Views
File license

(Since I was working on the system I also pulled out the network card and took its picture:

IMG_9361.jpg
Filename
IMG_9361.jpg
File size
179.95 KiB
Views
File license

But well, that's an aside...)

Reply 10 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed the ISA bridge board and then tried to put the PCI card in the slot:

IMG_9362.jpg
Filename
IMG_9362.jpg
File size
133.09 KiB
Views
File license

It fit in there very tightly, in fact too tightly, because one of the eject buttons hit the case, even if I removed the plastic part of that button:

IMG_9363.jpg
Filename
IMG_9363.jpg
File size
110.28 KiB
Views
File license

The slot for installing the PCMCIA cards also sits too low, and I couldn't screw the card into place.

It seems the spacing for PCI cards in this PC case is just a little bit off, so the slots are located too far back a fraction of a milimeter, but also a mm or so too low. So no go. 😵

I then noticed this:

IMG_9364.jpg
Filename
IMG_9364.jpg
File size
98.41 KiB
Views
File license

To get the network card to fit, they had to file off part of the BNC connector! 😲 😲

So it looks like I will only be able to use ISA cards in this system...

I did however add a slot-mounted CF card adapter to the case:

IMG_9365.jpg
Filename
IMG_9365.jpg
File size
140.82 KiB
Views
File license

Now on earlier pictures, you might have noticed the power supply actually obstructs the screw hole for this slot. The solution is simple:

IMG_9367.jpg
Filename
IMG_9367.jpg
File size
218.13 KiB
Views
File license

There's this little bracket that holds the slot bracket in place (and actually no screw hole in the usual place).

Reply 11 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And that fits as follows:

IMG_9368.jpg
Filename
IMG_9368.jpg
File size
148.88 KiB
Views
File license

The CF card adapter almost entirely clears the ISA slot on this side:

IMG_9369.jpg
Filename
IMG_9369.jpg
File size
194.6 KiB
Views
File license

I wonder whether there are internal cards that would fit in that space...

I will need to get an adapter cable to be able to hook up the power, as the CF card adapter takes a floppy drive power connector and the power supply only has one of those. I'll also have to sort out the cabling as it's a big mess right now.

=====

Anyway, I still want to show you the PCMCIA adapter in (some) action, so off to my other system with both PCI and ISA slots it is! 😎

We jump forward in time a bit, to a system that's about a year newer and my main game machine:

IMG_9372.jpg
Filename
IMG_9372.jpg
File size
233.17 KiB
Views
File license

Gateway 2000 Pentium 266 MHz, 320 Mb of RAM, Asus 3800 Magic TNT2 M64 AGP card with 32 Mb of memory, Ensoniq Soundscape AudioPCI, Gb Ethernet card, CD + DVD-RW drives, two hard disks, and one PCI slot, one shared PCI/ISA slot, and one ISA slot free.

In goes the ISA bridge board with flat cable attached, in the lower ISA slot:

IMG_9373.jpg
Filename
IMG_9373.jpg
File size
187.21 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9374.jpg
Filename
IMG_9374.jpg
File size
182.07 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the PCI board goes in the PCI part of the shared PCI/ISA slot right above it:

IMG_9376.jpg
Filename
IMG_9376.jpg
File size
230.94 KiB
Views
File license

It still is a tight fit. But this time everything sits at the right height:

IMG_9377.jpg
Filename
IMG_9377.jpg
File size
118.23 KiB
Views
File license

After closing the case, connecting all cables anew, and booting up, Windows 98SE finds the card, asks for the Windows 98SE CD, finds the drivers on there, one reboot later, and then the card is fully functional and shows up in device manager:

IMG_9380.jpg
Filename
IMG_9380.jpg
File size
99.68 KiB
Views
File license

I gain a PC Card thingie line in one of the other tabs too:

IMG_9381.jpg
Filename
IMG_9381.jpg
File size
112.51 KiB
Views
File license

And there is a specific PCMCIA control panel available:

IMG_9382.jpg
Filename
IMG_9382.jpg
File size
107.03 KiB
Views
File license

Each PCMCIA slot is automatically assigned some resources, and the only slightly worrisome thing I've seen is that one IRQ is shared with the soundcard (guess I'll disable the parallel post in the BIOS to free an additional IRQ). Can't show much more, as I currently lack PCMCIA cards that would serve some purpose in this particular system.

=====

Reply 13 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

It seems the spacing for PCI cards in this PC case is just a little bit off, so the slots are located too far back a fraction of a milimeter, but also a mm or so too low. So no go. 😵

A replacement that will fit is on its way:

rex5051 2.jpg
Filename
rex5051 2.jpg
File size
62.87 KiB
Views
File license

Blank slot cover, and the PCMCIA card "drive" will go into the 5.25" bay that's still free. Should fit, right?

Reply 14 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having finally received the new PCMCIA card and bay, today was time to get it into my NEC.

First, a look at the bay:

IMG_0142.jpg
Filename
IMG_0142.jpg
File size
145.02 KiB
Views
File license

It can easily be opened because the (metal) top is attached using the same screws that are used to mount the bay into the PC.

Also included is a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter, all plastic, to which the PCMCIA bay mounts with 6 longer screws than the standard ones:

IMG_0144.jpg
Filename
IMG_0144.jpg
File size
146.65 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0145.jpg
Filename
IMG_0145.jpg
File size
111.73 KiB
Views
File license

I'll have to use this, as the NEC only has one 3.5" disk drive bay.

To be able to install the PCMCIA bay, I have to remove the floppy drive/hard disk cage to be able to remove the CD-ROM drive so I can have enough space to access everything (and also sort out the cabling). A better look at the floppy disk/hard disk cage:

IMG_0146.jpg
Filename
IMG_0146.jpg
File size
151.95 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0147.jpg
Filename
IMG_0147.jpg
File size
143.15 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 15 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CDR-1400A CD-ROM drive with readable label:

IMG_0148.jpg
Filename
IMG_0148.jpg
File size
133.88 KiB
Views
File license

Cable mess to sort out:

IMG_0149.jpg
Filename
IMG_0149.jpg
File size
188.34 KiB
Views
File license

To be able to install the drive bay adapter I have to take the front off the case, remove a metal blocking plate on the bare case itself, and a plastic one on the case front:

IMG_0150.jpg
Filename
IMG_0150.jpg
File size
148.67 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0151.jpg
Filename
IMG_0151.jpg
File size
165.07 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0153.jpg
Filename
IMG_0153.jpg
File size
165.03 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First do a crude test fit of the cable for the PCMCIA bay:

IMG_0155.jpg
Filename
IMG_0155.jpg
File size
136.26 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0154.jpg
Filename
IMG_0154.jpg
File size
167.68 KiB
Views
File license

This showed the cable was just too short. So it was time for a different solution:

IMG_0156.jpg
Filename
IMG_0156.jpg
File size
153.24 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0157.jpg
Filename
IMG_0157.jpg
File size
132.18 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0159.jpg
Filename
IMG_0159.jpg
File size
182.83 KiB
Views
File license

I swapped the PCMCIA bay and the floppy drive, and mounted the floppy drive in the bottom 5.25" bay. This also allows me to route the floppy cable much more efficiently, as well as use the same power cable for floppy and CD-ROM.

Reply 17 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then I put the CD-ROM drive back in place:

IMG_0160.jpg
Filename
IMG_0160.jpg
File size
187.39 KiB
Views
File license

A test fit of the PCMCIA bay on the old location of the floppy drive shows it fits pretty much perfectly:

IMG_0162.jpg
Filename
IMG_0162.jpg
File size
119.68 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0163.jpg
Filename
IMG_0163.jpg
File size
157.93 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0164.jpg
Filename
IMG_0164.jpg
File size
176.52 KiB
Views
File license

...and there's much more room and a less big mess of cables underneath.

I thought the shared ISA slot would be the perfect location for the ISA PCMCIA card:

IMG_0168.jpg
Filename
IMG_0168.jpg
File size
178.88 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 18 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...to put in the ISA card:

IMG_0165.jpg
Filename
IMG_0165.jpg
File size
297.91 KiB
Views
File license

Like so:

IMG_0169.jpg
Filename
IMG_0169.jpg
File size
160.17 KiB
Views
File license

But the PCMCIA cables were very hard to route through the case and almost completely obstruct the air flow:

IMG_0170.jpg
Filename
IMG_0170.jpg
File size
201.23 KiB
Views
File license

So I removed the slot-mounted CF-card reader, and put the PCMCIA ISA card there:

IMG_0171.jpg
Filename
IMG_0171.jpg
File size
198.82 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0172.jpg
Filename
IMG_0172.jpg
File size
169.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 19 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This took several attempts because I had to route the cables carefully to get them to fit. Air flow still looks pretty bad:

IMG_0173.jpg
Filename
IMG_0173.jpg
File size
152.53 KiB
Views
File license

...but it looks worse than it is, and there's quite a lot of free room behind the cables. As long as I leave the hard disk out it will work out I think.

Summary:
- 1 ISA slot less, one 5.25" bay less, no bays left free (except for the hard disk bay).
- 2 PCMCIA slots gained.
- Less cable clutter.
- Primary IDE cable and other power cable are now routed towards processor/graphics/free slot area, so I can hopefully find a solution to fix the CF card adapter somewhere in the vicinity.
- 2 ISA slots still free (one shared with a PCI slot with incorrect spacing to the back plate). There's also a VESA feature connector still available...

Maybe I should add a hardware MPEG decoder card? It needs to have drivers for Windows 3.x and/or Windows 95. Adding a separate graphics card is not really necessary, the on-board graphics are ATI Rage-based.
I could also add a second sound card to compensate for the on-board Soundblaster missing the game/MIDI port and wavetable headers...