VOGONS

First post, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

i want to introduce my Intel Pentium III-S Build that's for old games that can't run on Windows 10.
Fully offline.

The hardware specifications:

Intel Pentium III-S 1266 Mhz
FSB 133
16 KB L1 Cache
512 KB L2 Cache

Elitegroup P6S5AT with SiS635T Chipset, DDR RAM slots and universal AGP slot. No ISA slot.
512 MB DDR400 RAM by Corsair (Speed at SD-RAM PC133)

Gainward Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB VRAM
Terratec XFire 1024 PCI soundcard with the Dreamblaster X2 board attached.
3com 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card

40 GB Hitachi IDE HDD
DVD-RW IDE Burner
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
2x USB 1.1 Ports

Antec Sonata Computer case

Logitech MX518 mouse with USB to PS2 adapter
Logitech PS2 keyboard

17" Scott 7A730T9 CRT Monitor
max Range:
30kHz - 70 kHz
50 Hz - 150 Hz
so... max. 1280x1024 at 60Hz

DSC_0278.jpg
Filename
DSC_0278.jpg
File size
217.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_0283.jpg
Filename
DSC_0283.jpg
File size
250.98 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_0267.jpg
Filename
DSC_0267.jpg
File size
177.98 KiB
Views
File license

with Windows 2000 SP4.

3DMark99Max benchmark result:
file.php?id=32800

My plan was to enjoy the old games.
Unreal Gold + Unreal Tournament GOTY (from GoG)
Half Life Generations
Gunman Chronicles
Need for Speed 2 SE
Need for Speed 3
Need for Speed Porsche
Serious Sam The first Encounter (from Steam)
Serious Sam The second Encounter (from Steam)
Age of Wonders (from GoG)
Command and Conquer: The first decade (Retail - not from Origin)
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto II (free)
N.I.C.E. 2 King Size
Project IGI
Rollcage
Rollcage Stage 2
Rollercoaster Tycoon
ScummVM (contains Monkey Island 1+2, Indiana Jones etc)
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition (from GoG)
Shadow Warrior (from 3DRealms)
Sim City 3000
Brutal Doom v20b via ZDoom.
Final Doom + Doom II via ZDoom.
The Settlers 2 Gold via DOSBox

...and many more...

I'm happy with that result.

EDIT: I'll make the better photos next days if i have time. I've planned to buy a new computer case with side window and RGB-Leds later.

Regards,
MordekaiZeyo

Intel Pentium 3-S 1266Mhz | 512 MB DDR-400 @SD-RAM PC133 | Elitegroup P6S5AT | Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT AGP @4x AGP | Terratec Xfire 1024 PCI Soundcard with Dreamblaster X2
Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 1 of 16, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're going to run UT/U Gold using the GoG installers make sure you have DX9 installed or else you get errors that are annoying to click through before the game launches. Also, NFS Porsche Unleashed was a pain to get working under Win2k for me and it just ended up crashing before each race so I gave up. 🙁 NFS 3 works after you install a new 3Dsetup version. If you need help with that let me know.

EDIT: You might be ok with the NFS games since you're not using a Voodoo card. Good luck. 🤣

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 3 of 16, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Fusion wrote:

If you're going to run UT/U Gold using the GoG installers make sure you have DX9 installed or else you get errors that are annoying to click through before the game launches. Also, NFS Porsche Unleashed was a pain to get working under Win2k for me and it just ended up crashing before each race so I gave up. 🙁 NFS 3 works after you install a new 3Dsetup version. If you need help with that let me know.

EDIT: You might be ok with the NFS games since you're not using a Voodoo card. Good luck. 🤣

I put the 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP in my drawer.

I did the different way. I installed UT/U Gold on my current modern machine and simply copied the entire game folder to the old machines with a 4GB USB Stick. The game ran very well.
Original version without the unofficial community patch.
Yes, the original Need for Speed Porsche Version 2.3 or 2.4? won't run during the start up and it got stuck in a loading screen. The HDD led keep flashing. I installed the unofficial patch -> http://www.nfsplanet.de/hacks.php?lang=eng and the game will start up and start the race without any flaw. But the problem is that the progress of Evolution mode won't continue which it makes me really sad... >.< I'll try to fix it later.

@luckybob
I had a plan to make a dual Tualitin build in the past but i decided to use the one tualitin CPU instead and a single socket motherboard.

Intel Pentium 3-S 1266Mhz | 512 MB DDR-400 @SD-RAM PC133 | Elitegroup P6S5AT | Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT AGP @4x AGP | Terratec Xfire 1024 PCI Soundcard with Dreamblaster X2
Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 4 of 16, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fusion wrote:

NFS5 crashing before the race...do you have some kind of batch file and a unzip executable? (a DOS executable named unzip.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 5 of 16, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MordekaiZeyo wrote:
I put the 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP in my drawer. […]
Show full quote

I put the 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP in my drawer.

I did the different way. I installed UT/U Gold on my current modern machine and simply copied the entire game folder to the old machines with a 4GB USB Stick. The game ran very well.
Original version without the unofficial community patch.
Yes, the original Need for Speed Porsche Version 2.3 or 2.4? won't run during the start up and it got stuck in a loading screen. The HDD led keep flashing. I installed the unofficial patch -> http://www.nfsplanet.de/hacks.php?lang=eng and the game will start up and start the race without any flaw. But the problem is that the progress of Evolution mode won't continue which it makes me really sad... >.< I'll try to fix it later.

Good Idea with Unreal, although I found no matter what I tried it screwed up being able to run Glide with my Voodoo3, So I had to use older ISOs.

Thanks a bunch for the NFS5 Enhanced Edition download! It worked flawlessly! Now only if I could get NFS4:HS to let me use anything but software mode. 🙁

PcBytes wrote:

NFS5 crashing before the race...do you have some kind of batch file and a unzip executable? (a DOS executable named unzip.)

Not that I know of. MordekaiZeyos link for the Enhanced Edition patch made it work no problem.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 6 of 16, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glad to hear that Need for Speed Porsche is working fine. 😀

I'm planning to buy a new computer case in black with side window, dust filters, RGB LEDs and silent case fans in the future. Pondering about that one that Philscomputerlab built/reviewed one with the year 1998 gaming rig. But there are many others by different brands. So... I'll wait and drink a cup of coffee.

I had the old Fujitsu Euroline II computer case in the past but it can't fit the ATX motherboard in due of that size. I had seen some larger version of that but i can't find any via Ebay... so i don't mind to get a modern computer case... it's more far advanced than in the past. Maybe at around Summer.

Oh... and an USB 2.0 PCI card for more speed. Yay!

Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 7 of 16, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MordekaiZeyo wrote:

I'm planning to buy a new computer case in black with side window, dust filters, RGB LEDs and silent case fans in the future. Pondering about that one that Philscomputerlab built/reviewed one with the year 1998 gaming rig. But there are many others by different brands. So... I'll wait and drink a cup of coffee.

I have the same case for my main rig, its cheap, lots of mounts for fans and has dust filters. Nice and simple design.

Reply 8 of 16, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

neato!

Where does the 2nd processor go?

🤣, I actually read the title as "My Intel Dual Tualatin Build."

Then I saw single-socket and was slightly let down.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 10 of 16, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
m1919 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

neato!

Where does the 2nd processor go?

🤣, I actually read the title as "My Intel Dual Tualatin Build."

Then I saw single-socket and was slightly let down.

Correct. The title will be different if i could have the dual socket system.
I decided to build a single socket Tualatin instead. ^^

Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 11 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fusion wrote:

Good Idea with Unreal, although I found no matter what I tried it screwed up being able to run Glide with my Voodoo3, So I had to use older ISOs.

They way I run GOG games (not all of them work though) on my old PCs is unpacking the installer with innounp. Then you just got delete the nGlide files from the directory and you're good to go 😁

Other GOG games I use:

UT, Quake II, Quake III, Expendable

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 16, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@PhilsComputerLab

Another way to install GoG-Games on older machines! Thank you for the tip. 😀

Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 13 of 16, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i did some benchmarks in Serious Sam: The First Encounter v1.05. The Demo scene is Memphis.
Everything are maxed out in the advanced options and OpenGL Renderer API. Vsync off.

ASUS VG248QE (1920x1080 max. - 144 Hz) via DVI instead of CRT monitor for testing. The specs are still the same.

4:3:
640x480x32 -> 62.5 FPS avg
800x600x32 -> 61.5 FPS avg
1024x768x32 -> 59.8 FPS avg
1280x1024x32 -> 57.0 FPS avg

16:9:
1600x900 -> 52.4 FPS avg
1920x1080 -> 49.3 FPS avg
but i noticed the input lag (Mouse) somehow... not so annoying i guess.

Otherwise the computer is still running fine. No issues so far.

Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 14 of 16, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New stuffs was arrived at my home:
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 black with glass window (with 2x Be Quiet case fans preinstalled)

Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB DDR3 AGP with Zalman Cooler (refurbished by the Ebay salesman!)
USB 2.0 PCI card
Arctic Cooling Socket A/370 Air cooler "Copper Silent 2TC"
and...
iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit. I really need that. My old tools was too cheap and rusty.

Not arrived atm:
BitFenix RGB LED Strips (60 meter - 30 LEDs) with a controller and remote control
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal grease

I'll continue my Intel Tualatin Build next days/weeks if i have time. I just wanted to make my build looks simple, cool and modern ON my desk.

Stay tuned... even if i am slow. 🤣...

~MordekaiZeyo

Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 15 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never knew about the AC Copper Lite 2TC. Is it a LED-fanned CPU HSF? The AC Copper Lite 3 is a personal favorite of mine though, I use them for almost every sA build 😁
And veeeery nice to see a s370 build using DDR! I got like only a single s370 board which supports DDR and it needed a repair when I got it (the DDR thingy was actually its saving grace and mine is an OEM board that doesn't even support Tualatin 🤣).

Unreal Gold + Unreal Tournament GOTY (from GoG)

Have you ever played through the Unreal 1 campaign? I think it's name is deserving 🤣!
Have you ever tried Settlers II in Windows? I do remember having tried an old Settlers game (probably 3 or maybe 4) in XP and it may even work without DOSBox (but I'll assume you may already have tried it in Windows and know ifor sure it doesn't work). I did likely use compatibility mode or something, I'm not really a fan of 2k on a retro gaming rig so I am interested in knowing how it ends up 😀

And do take your time 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 16, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unreal 1 Gold... yes. 😀
I finished the playthrough on my Main PC. I'll redo that on Tualatin Machine in the future. I managed to get the refresh rate worked for my ASUS VG248QE... Now at 1920x1080x32 @ 120 Hz. Very few games are locked at 60 Hz sadly.

The Settlers 2 Gold will run in DOSBox instead with General Midi (Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 or Dreamblaster X2). Doom 1/2 via ZDoom include the latest Brutal Doom. Works fine.

My current status:
The hardware parts was moved to my new Be Quiet Pure Base 600 successfully with Bitfenix RGB LEDs and running. A few things to do... the Y-4 pin power cable for my DVD-RW drive to get it worked. I have to order the last part in Internet... duh.

It was strange as i had a slight compatibility issue with the AC Copper Lite 2TC to Elitegroupd P6S5AT board...it fits at least.

Windows 2000 Pro SP4