VOGONS

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On Friday I drove about 550km to pick up this beast. It was worth it. I have dissassembled the machine and got all cleaned. This is the final effect.

20170416_180552_zpspny2xbsn.jpg

Pretty basic config. Intel i8088 CPU, no coprocessor.

There were quite standard cards inside: one IBM CGA card, one IBM EGA card, IBM hard disk controller, floppy controller, async controller, serial-parallel controller. The only add-on is Microsoft InPort mouse adapter (the mouse came with the computer). First there were two types of floppy drives installed: one 5.25 (320kb) and one 3.5 inch (720kb). As with the machine I was given another brand new 5.25 IBM drive, I decided to go with both of them getting rid of 720kb drive, which was some poorly fitting non-IBM product in a shabby bay adapter.

I was relieved to see that the hard drive is fully functional and has no bad sectors at all. It's an IBM 20MB Microscribe. There is DOS 3.20 installed, Norton Commander 3 and some games (I also got from the seller about 100 5.25 diskettes with various software and games. Too bad most of them are just copies).

The only thing I did so far was adding Sound Blaster CT-1320A, although I prefer internal pc-speaker as a sound source on this particular machine.

I must admit that playing Arkanoid or Alley Cat on this beast is a true nostalgic journey.

Reply 2 of 17, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's troublesome indeed.

First of all please mind that the bottom drive is in this case only attached with one screw inserted from the bottom of the case.

Then you need an adapter - can be diy. This is just a simple rectangular plate with screw holes to lock the drives together (if you need photo, let me know). I also noticed that the front screw of the top drive locks against the diagonal part of the bay which should stabilise the drive from the left side (the bottom screw uses right rear hole of the drive).

Generally it works and is an official way of doing this kind of manouver, although not really elegant.

Reply 5 of 17, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks brand new and straight out the shop!

I tell you... I wouldn't mind having this on one of my desks.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

even CGA it's still a great monitor... just be careful not to feed it hi-res EGA signal, I think I've read that it could cause damage to the monitor ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice one. 😀 I own a complete and mint 5150 with CGA as well. Even bought an own desk for it. These are really great-looking machines.

Do you have the original keyboard as well, or did it come with the one in the picture?

Reply 8 of 17, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the saddest part. It came with the keyboard. I disassembed it for cleaning and my lovely (f******) cat dropped the bottom part. It cracked I will need to find some replacement. I'm angry as the keyboard made to survive 30 years with the previous owner and in my hands one day was enough to get it badly damaged 🙁

Last edited by tikoellner on 2017-04-17, 18:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing by the completeness of the PC the previous owners had it since new?
Its vey nice indeed and working HDD, saves sooo much hassle 😀

Reply 14 of 17, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it was purchased by a Polish big beat (Polish term used for Rock'n'Roll) artist (quite renowned) who emigrated to Sweden in late 60s. He bought this computer in Sweden in 1986 and brought it back to Poland. The computer was used, among other things, for midi sequencing. I guess in Poland there weren't many people who could possibly afford an original IBM XT these day.

Nice computer and interesting story.

Reply 15 of 17, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cracking machine, mate. I find these computers really exciting for some reason, as I'm well into the history of computing. And although the 5150 was the first, I prefer the 5160, as there were some big improvements over the PC. The screen looks amazing!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 16 of 17, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

So far I:
- installed Nec V20 processor;
- installed RTC clock that goes between U18 ROM and it's socket.

I' still need to get the Lo-tech XT-IDE adapter. I'm also looking for some turbo card (such as Orchid Tiny Turbo), but those seem impossible to find.