Hi all! Got a Dell Optiplex GX1.

Pentium III Slot 1 550MHz
256MB PC100 RAM
3.5" floppy
CD-ROM
10GB IDE HD
4GB 10,000RPM SCSI HD
Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI card
Onboard ATI Rage 4MB video (disabled in Windows)
Matrox Millennium G200 G2+
Onboard Crystal CS4236B sound
Onboard 3COM 3C905 ethernet
2x serial
Parallel
PS/2 ports
2xUSB 1.1
PCI + ISA slots!
MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on one drive
Windows 98SE on another

PICTURES! http://imgur.com/a/2TRNe

It was quite filthy when I got it, bought it off eBay. Cleaned it up nicely (air compressor, magic eraser, paper towels, fine sand paper). Everything works fine. I was going to add an ISA sound card but I really like the MIDI of the onboard Crystal so it's not necessary. There are still drivers for Windows 3.x on Dell's site for this machine! Even the Matrox has video card drivers for Windows 3.x

All runs like a charm except I noticed the amount of conventional memory went down after I added the SCSI + video cards. I get 607K after memmaker and my usual slew of tools that gets me around 620K on most machines. QEMM nets me 622K free... I guess both are MORE than enough but earlier it was at 619K and 635K respectively. Not a big deal though since everything works fine and games like Wolf3D and DOOM run great. I don't think I want to do any more upgrades except possibly the CPU at some point but it wouldn't really be worth it since I'm not surfing the web on this thing.

Slot 1 machines like this have a special place since the first computers I tinkered with were these era Dell Optiplexes and Dimension XPS T/R series. They're also quite versatile... this one box consolidates all my retro PC desires.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 2, by RobertJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the closely related G1, with a 400 Mhz Celeron, and it works good for everything from old DOS games to Windows 98 games. The "compatibility" mode in the BIOS (I'm assuming the GX1 will have this feature too) is fantastic for running old DOS games that run too fast otherwise. I use that mode for Wing Commander at present. It's definitely a plus to have both ISA and PCI slots as well. I think these machines are a great compromise for a vintage box that can run a wide array of older titles. I know you posted this some time ago, but how are you getting along with it?

8-bit Collection: 4 64Cs, 6 1541-IIs, 1 C128, 2 1571s, 1 C128DCR
Vintage DOS: Dell Optiplex G1, ATI Rage IIC, Sound Blaster CT4520, Thrustmaster FCS Mark II, Gravis PC GamePad
Monitor: Dell 20" 2007FPb