VOGONS

First post, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- Pentium 3 Tualatin-S @1400MHz with 512K L2 cache
- Ipox 3ETI23 industrial motherboard (815EP-based with 3 ISA slots and onboard Fast Ethernet)
- 512 MB (2x256) of PC133 SDRAM
- BFG BFGR6600GTOC (AGP Nvidia 6600GT with 128MB RAM)
- 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 (PCI)
- generic SIL3512 SATA controller
- 500GB Toshiba SATA drive (with 4 partitions, each smaller than 127GB)
- 5 and 1/4" floppy drive
- 3 and 1/2" floppy drive
- LG GSA-4167 DVD-ROM drive
- Gravis Ultrasound PnP ver 1.0 with 8MB RAM
- Creative SB32 model CT3670 with 8MB RAM and flashed with AWE64 EEPROM (to disable IDE interface)
- Mediatrix Audiotrix 3DXG (OPL3SA) without DB60XG daughterboard (for SB Pro compatibility and authentic embedded OPL3)
- Windows 98SE with big HDD patch
- MIDIMAN MIDISport 2x4 running in passive mode and with output 2 looped into input 2 (turning it into 1x3 midi splitter) connected to AWE32 via DB15 to MIDI cable
- first generation Roland MT32
- Roland SC-88VL
- Yamaha MU500
- Akai DPS12 multi-track recorder used as an audio mixer
- RCA brand 4x1 component AV switcher (not enough inputs on the DPS12)
- Samsung 204B (20-inch 4/3 1600x1200 LCD monitor)
- Aopen blue and beige early 2000s case

Surprisingly, everything works without IRQ conflicts or other issue (save for lack of NMI support by the motherboard).

My aim is to cover 1990ish to 2000ish with the help of slowdown software

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A couple pics would help 😜

Even though I really like your setup, I'm not sure it would be optimal for playing DOS games due to the motherboard using a bridge chip and the CPU being locked and on the speedy side, but you could give it a go.

Let us know how it turns out 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

A couple pics would help 😜

Even though I really like your setup, I'm not sure it would be optimal for playing DOS games due to the motherboard using a bridge chip and the CPU being locked and on the speedy side, but you could give it a go.

Let us know how it turns out 😀

I was afraid of the bridge ISA (ITE brand bridge chip), but I have not seen any issues with the sound cards, (except an NMI related issue with aweutil with the EM option).

So far I have tried the following DOS games and demos, all successfully with sound :
- Doom with SB Pro and Sound Canvas
- Quake with Gravis Ultrasound PnP
- Duke Nukem 3D with SB Pro ans Sound Canvas
- Gateway (requires SoftMpu and Setmul to disable L1 cache) with MT-32 support
- Second Reality with Gravis Ultrasound
- EMF Verses with Gravis Ultrasound

Under a Killing Moon, the Seventh Guest, Phantasmagoria and some Sierra quests will be tried out once my setup is cleaned up a bit .

I realize the CPU is on the fast side, but I really wanted to cover late Windows 98 stuff with this machine . Hopefully I can slow it down enough by disabling cache and by using a slowdown utility .

case.JPG
Filename
case.JPG
File size
923.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
inside.JPG
Filename
inside.JPG
File size
2.93 MiB
Views
File license
inside2.JPG
Filename
inside2.JPG
File size
3.14 MiB
Views
File license

The tie wraps around the SB32 are a homemade fix for the broken SIMM sockets . It works surprisingly well .

midi.JPG
Filename
midi.JPG
File size
2.2 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to hear about the ISA bridge chip not being much of a problem for you. I never tried a bridged ISA slot myself, so can't say that much about it.

Your build seems well thought out and looks to be solidly build and with solid parts at first glance. Nice!

And don't worry about the (lack of) cable management, it's mostly not really relevant once the system is working. I mainly tie cables together to prevent cables from jamming any fans and by the looks of it, you have plenty airflow 😀

I'm not sure about your graphics card (might be on the new side for pure DOS), but the main thing is that it works 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Your build seems well thought out and looks to be solidly build and with solid parts at first glance. Nice!

Thank you . A lot of thought and trial and error did go into it .

Tetrium wrote:

And don't worry about the (lack of) cable management, it's mostly not really relevant once the system is working. I mainly tie cables together to prevent cables from jamming any fans and by the looks of it, you have plenty airflow 😀

It seems to stay cool enough, but that passively cooled Voodoo 3 3000 used to get really hot before I tie-wrapped a fan to its side .

Tetrium wrote:

I'm not sure about your graphics card (might be on the new side for pure DOS), but the main thing is that it works 😁

It was not my first choice either . I started with a Quadro FX1100 (FX5700 derivative), but its VESA BIOS did not work with Quake . I then tried a Radeon 9700, but found it defaulted to 75Hz under DOS and crashed with certain video-timing sensitive things, like Second Reality. Finally, I tried a Geforce 6600GT, which defaults at 60Hz over DVI in DOS (added bonus of working with my TV if needed), works with everything I have tested under DOS (though 60Hz slows down Second Reality). For everything else (palettized textures, etc), I can switch to the Voodoo 3 as primary with a quick trip to the BIOS .

Reply 5 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replaced the 6600GT with a locally sourced MSI FX 5900 (the 6600GT had stability issues in certain scrolling scenarios) . I also managed to fix my Quadro FX1100 VESA issues with a newer BIOS . So I now have a spare in case the FX 5900 gives up the ghost . The FX 5900 is the fastest AGP card I have ever seen in VESA under pure DOS (over 60 fps in Quake timedemo at 1024x768), which is a bit faster than the 6600GT .

I was also lucky enough go get a Simmconn Revival for my AWE64 Value, which has replaced the CT3670 .

I think it is complete on the hardware side of things .

Reply 6 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Creative SB32 model CT3670 with 8MB RAM and flashed with AWE64 EEPROM (to disable IDE interface)"

Please elaborate and provide some downloads, Googeling does not give any answers.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote:

Please elaborate and provide some downloads, Googeling does not give any answers.

I used a utility from Dell. This utility is meant to flash an AWE64 whose EEPROM has been corrupted back to working order . I just took a chance to try it on my CT3670, which was/is rumored to be essentially an AWE64 with SIMM slots and an IDE interface added .
See How I turned my CT3670 into an AWE64 and got rid of its pesky IDE interface for details and a download link .