VOGONS

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 163, by brt02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got my hands on one of these boards.

Haven't decided exactly what shape the final build will take but I'm pretty sure it won't be as good as those already detailed on this thread.

Parts list so far - scavenged from other my other build

Lian-Li PC65 case
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Radeon 9800 Pro

To start with a very small contribution... The CD that came with my board is a slightly later revision of the image uploaded to the archive linked in the first post.

Main changes being a slightly newer chipset driver, multilingual product manual and unattended lan driver installation files for windows 9x.

To that end I'm uploading two files.

one text file with a list of changes between the cd in the archive and the cd that I have
link to google drive containing the contents of the cd - https://drive.google.com/open?id=16W_BjBTJM7_ … IzW_VIwy25LKIjD

Feel free to update the archive linked in the first post with this file

Still trying to find other guides/manuals relevant to this product, but intel seem to have pulled everything a long long time ago (certainly way before that massive purge at the end of last year)

Attachments

• Filename
    diff.txt
    File size
    13.13 KiB
    Downloads
    5 downloads
    File comment
    OR840 differences between CD v1 and v1.1
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 161 of 163, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These boards seem like a good base for a dual system - if you're looking for files, @slivercr put a link (#4) in the OP.

I picked up an almost bare Compaq version the other month, the Professional Workstation AP550. Didn't come with much but I've started to kit it out with the basics

Compaq AP550 Wkstn 01.JPG
Filename
Compaq AP550 Wkstn 01.JPG
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

- 2 x 1GHz P3s (would've tried the Tualatin sloket mod but I've now got other dual boards in mind for my P3 1.4-S cpus)
- 4 x 512MB P800-45 RDRAM (Elpida)
- OS drive (still haven't decided between SCSI, IDE, SATA & mech or SSD)
- added a front fan & replaced a dodgy CD-ROM drive
- not sure about graphics - was reading the attached and luckily I've got both the Matrox G400 DualHead and one of the 3Dlabs Oxygen series OpenGL cards mentioned, so I'll try both

Filename
Compaq Workstations Graphics Product Positioning.pdf
File size
101.32 KiB
Downloads
4 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So far I've test installed both XP Pro and Win7 Pro and haven't hit any problems - may try NT4 & W2K later

Reply 163 of 163, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-03-14, 21:39:

good lord, could they make those heatsinks ANY larger? That's Slot-2 territory!

Standard fare for this particular workstation - somewhere after 866MHz the replacement Compaq processors have heatsinks finned front & back, though the much shorter GRMs seem to support them well enough.