VOGONS

Reply 80 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
voodoo5_6k wrote:

I see. But what about using a gameport controller via the additional bracket of the Sound Blaster? This would free up a slot and still let you use a decent controller! I'm using Microsoft SideWinder game pads (gameport version) for games like Need for Speed or sports games. I haven't seen a better controller yet... Let alone more robust. This thing is virtually indestructible and built to last forever.

I'm using a couple of the newer Logitech ones, sturdy and responsive, fairly decent overall. I like that they have a switch between XInput and DirectInput so I can use them with this build and on my laptop with Steam if I want to indulge with newer games. Also, using more pads for multiplayer games/PSX emulators is trivial with the front panel USB.

Switching to game port controllers would require me to track down (or make) the Audigy gameport cable, track down a gameport controller (or 2 Gravis GamePad Pro to daisy-chain them and enable multiplayer), and I would lose all front panel usb functionality. I remember the MS SideWinder and Gravis controllers fondly, but not enough to make up for all the inconvenience that loosing the USB card would cause me now.

I thought about using a single Voodoo card to make space and get a bigger heatsink, but decreasing the resolution in NfS is not very appealing! 😵

I will be on the lookout for a small profile heatsink that can do a better job than the current one: I am very optimistic about the passive heatsink and a single, bigger fan cooling all three graphics cards. If it fails, I can always go back to the GeForce 6800 which had a single slot cooler and PWM controlled fan.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 81 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Long time, no update.

I've been way too busy to post around here, though I check every now and then to see what's going on. In any case, I received the heatsinks I ordered and they were taller than I anticipated, but they fit nicely in the slotket and don't touch the capacitors, which is all I really needed from them. They are installed and I am glad to say the Dualakings are back in business 😎 I am also VERY happy to report that after cleaning the gunk between the power connectors, 2 GB of RAM work without any problem at all! Let my foolishness be a lesson to anyone that reads: if you recap, also clean your board thoroughly!

20180205_newHeatsinks.jpg
Filename
20180205_newHeatsinks.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20180205_dualaking.jpg
Filename
20180205_dualaking.jpg
File size
336.73 KiB
Views
File license

Also, I've been wondering if I should try one final mod to this system: between the IDE connectors on the mobo there are unused jumper holes that would, in theory, allow you to select 133 MHz as FSB for the RDRAM, yielding 533 FSB (PC1066) instead of the usual 400 (PC800). I found the relevant schematics in the i840 platform datasheet so, again in theory, I should be able to restore this functionality to the board. Success really depends on the clockgen and if its able to handle the extra speed, since I have tested the RIMMs at that frequency and know they can take it.

It is doubtful that it will increase the performance by much, if at all, but it would be really cool, no? Oh well, I'll finish gathering up the cables and other things I need before deciding on this. If anyone cares to chime in on this, feel free! I'm looking for an excuse to do it 😉

Reply 82 of 269, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

9TnaMRA.gif

slivercr wrote:

...Also, I've been wondering if I should try one final mod to this system: between the IDE connectors on the mobo there are unused jumper holes that would, in theory, allow you to select 133 MHz as FSB for the RDRAM, yielding 533 FSB (PC1066) instead of the usual 400 (PC800) ... It is doubtful that it will increase the performance by much, if at all, but it would be really cool, no?

7524jhl.gif

I would do the 1066 option. I want to see how well my dual tualatin board and is dual channel pc133 stacks up once I get the rest of the parts I need.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 83 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I would do the 1066 option. I want to see how well my dual tualatin board and is dual channel pc133 stacks up once I get the rest of the parts I need.

hahaha, of all people here I knew you'd be enthusiastic about this mod. I'll start planning it out 😉

Reply 85 of 269, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote:

They are installed and I am glad to say the Dualakings are back in business 😎

Great news 😀 Plus 2GB RAM are finally working... This system is now reaching its full glory after being transferred into its new home, really cool!

slivercr wrote:

Also, I've been wondering if I should try one final mod to this system: between the IDE connectors on the mobo there are unused jumper holes that would, in theory, allow you to select 133 MHz as FSB for the RDRAM, yielding 533 FSB (PC1066) instead of the usual 400 (PC800). I found the relevant schematics in the i840 platform datasheet so, again in theory, I should be able to restore this functionality to the board. Success really depends on the clockgen and if its able to handle the extra speed, since I have tested the RIMMs at that frequency and know they can take it.

It is doubtful that it will increase the performance by much, if at all, but it would be really cool, no? Oh well, I'll finish gathering up the cables and other things I need before deciding on this. If anyone cares to chime in on this, feel free! I'm looking for an excuse to do it

As the jumper holes are already there it couldn't hurt much to try it. If successful, this would turn your OR840 into a really unique item. I can't wait to read about your results... Exciting times lie ahead 😀

slivercr wrote:

I will be on the lookout for a small profile heatsink that can do a better job than the current one: I am very optimistic about the passive heatsink and a single, bigger fan cooling all three graphics cards. If it fails, I can always go back to the GeForce 6800 which had a single slot cooler and PWM controlled fan.

One additional thought: Maybe you can find something like the Thermalright HR-03? It can be mounted the other way round, the heatpipes leading over the top of the card to its back. The entire heat sink fin area would then reside on the backside of the card, over your RAM area, within reach of your exhaust fan. This way, you can have a way bigger and better heat sink and you can keep all your add-in cards...

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooli … ew/Installation

END OF LINE.

Reply 86 of 269, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alpha coolers!

do you have room for a 60mm fan? if so look at the pep66's

http://www.alphanovatech.com/en/cat_pfe.html

they all need modifications for tualatin use but thats to be expected.

Reply 87 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
voodoo5_6k wrote:

One additional thought: Maybe you can find something like the Thermalright HR-03? It can be mounted the other way round, the heatpipes leading over the top of the card to its back. The entire heat sink fin area would then reside on the backside of the card, over your RAM area, within reach of your exhaust fan. This way, you can have a way bigger and better heat sink and you can keep all your add-in cards...

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooli … ew/Installation

This looks interesting, I could even bend the heatpipes and use it's fan to create some airflow over the voodoos. I'll keep my eyes open for something similar.

luckybob wrote:
Alpha coolers! […]
Show full quote

Alpha coolers!

do you have room for a 60mm fan? if so look at the pep66's

http://www.alphanovatech.com/en/cat_pfe.html

they all need modifications for tualatin use but thats to be expected.

There's for sure no room for the PEPs: one would bang the second slotket, the other would bang the RDRAM. Shame too, as they are "classic" coolers from the era. In any case, I'd like to reduce the amount of fans in the system, not add 2 3000rpm 6cm fans 🤣

Reply 89 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Nah, "too much hassle". I like the experience I had with the custom cardboard airducts before, so I will probably end up designing a custom airduct to 3d print. I have 3 routes I might follow with this;
a) just like before, have the duct plug to the exhaust fan and cover the CPUs,
b) do it "backwards", i.e., have the duct connect to the lower intake fan and cover the CPUs. It would have to be slightly longer due to the position of the fans,
c) this is the more intricate one. Design a custom retention system for the slotkets: something that replaces the slot 1 brackets altogether, covers the heatsinks, and has a fanmount for 92mm or 120mm.
Since I'm lazy I'll probably just go for a. I prefer this over watercooling because, well, I don't know. I'd rather keep it aircooled. Watercooling a P3 seems super overkill to me, although so is putting it in a Carbide 600c...

In any case, I think I've developed an addiction to this motherboard. I saw a local listing for the IBM Intellistation version and bid for it: I got it. The following pics are with the 1 GHz Coppermines and 1 GB of RDRAM, but also checked that it boots with 2 GB.

20180211_intellistation1.jpg
Filename
20180211_intellistation1.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
20180211_intellistation2.jpg
Filename
20180211_intellistation2.jpg
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately I couldn't do much more than check that it posts: it won't recognize my USB keyboard and I have my PS2 keyboards in storage. At least I hope that's the case, otherwise I'll have to replace some fuses. When I was first reading about this motherboard and how to run Tualatins on it, this seemed to be the preferred version to attempt it since the BIOS can actually be modded to add the proper microcodes. If I can do that, I have half a mind to keep this version in my machine and keep the other one in its original box with its accessories.

Next weekend I'll be sure to have a PS2 keyboard here, a new battery for the motherboard, and test the Tualatins. If everything works properly, I'll try to mod this one for the RDRAM at 533 MHz, and if it still works after that, I'll keep it in my machine and store the other one.

Last edited by slivercr on 2018-02-15, 08:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 90 of 269, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

interesting. I knew HP used ASUS as their motherboard manufacturer, but I didn't expect IBM to use and Intel reference design. Man, NOBODY wanted to spin their own version of this board, did they?

Reply 91 of 269, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
slivercr wrote:
Sorry to keep you—and anyone following this thread—waiting for pics, here are a few quick and not so good ones of the system in […]
Show full quote
voodoo5_6k wrote:

Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q? Nice! I like it. A worthy home for this great system 😀 Looking forward to the additional pictures! I hope the hardware migration completes without any issues.

Sorry to keep you—and anyone following this thread—waiting for pics, here are a few quick and not so good ones of the system in the new case. The coppermines are in place while I modify one of the socket 370 heatsinks I use in the slotkets (or find a new one), since I just noticed that after changing the motherboard caps the bottom part of the heatsink sits flush against them, which makes me very uneasy.

Also, you were close but its actually a Carbide 600C, the "Clear" version with the window side panel. I normally steer clear of windows, RGB, etc., but I couldn't resist this one. I dont think I'll go for lights or RGB just yet, but looking inside the case is pretty awesome so far, I like how the dual Slot 1 CPUs look.

20180109_inside.jpg
20180109_cpus.jpg
20180109_cards.jpg
20180109_back.jpg

A few things to do still:

• Make a shorter SLI cable,
  • Get a round floppy cable,
  • Mod a PCI card cover to accommodate the USB cables going out,
  • Plug the CD-In cable, which I just noticed I forgot,
  • Make a new Front Panel Audio cable, so that the front panel connectors are all usable,
  • Find a way to silence the GeForce4,
  • Get some localized airflow on the Voodoos and the RDRAM,
  • Figure out the cooling solution for the CPUs: airduct again, or fans on each CPU for display purposes?

The build is very quiet, even with the case fans set to maximum in the included fan controller. The only audible thing is actually the GeForce's fan, which has a very characteristic high pitch sound to it. Passive cooled as they are the CopperMines max out at 65 ºC or so under load, around 6 or 7 ºC cooler than the recommended max temperature, so they're good. I'll have to see about the Tualatins because past experience tells me they won't allow passive cooling.

Overall I am very happy about this case choice, its cool and quiet. Besides taking care of the things mentioned before—and maybe getting a black floppy drive—the system is mostly in its final configuration.

Really the Voodoo 2 and Voodoo 5 so close, they are stoves even in idle, not a good idea to keep them like that if wa sme i will find a way to separate them, or just to put a fan on the side of the cards, they will overheat....
As all 3Dfx cards was stoves and small heaters, and the ones without cooling was even worse...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 92 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

interesting. I knew HP used ASUS as their motherboard manufacturer, but I didn't expect IBM to use and Intel reference design. Man, NOBODY wanted to spin their own version of this board, did they?

Slot 1 and RDRAM? Cant really blame them, can you? 🤣

Radical Vision wrote:

Really the Voodoo 2 and Voodoo 5 so close, they are stoves even in idle, not a good idea to keep them like that if wa sme i will find a way to separate them, or just to put a fan on the side of the cards, they will overheat....
As all 3Dfx cards was stoves and small heaters, and the ones without cooling was even worse...

Thanks for the suggestion! There's no voodoo5 there, its a GF4 (which also runs hot) I agree that they need cooling, I am looking into adding a fan to provide airflow for them.

Reply 93 of 269, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still can remember really clearly years back when i got my first Voodoo cards i was new in the 3Dfx/Voodoo thing, and i was shocked to see the cards are damn stoves all of them, Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3, Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo Rush (don`t have Voodoo 5 for now, too expensive but im sure it is hot) all of that cards did heat up much only in idle, and when i run some games later damn that temperature...
Only good side on the hot 3Dfx cards is back then the ROSH was not used, so the soldering was much stronger and tougher so is still not a big deal i guess. But when i get enough 3Dfx cards to put in machines i will definitely upgrade the heatsinks on all of them in order to maintain normal temperatures, not close to boiling water ones....

No wondering why the guy that did brake Voodoo 5 6000 cards did try to water cool them.....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 94 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RDRAM@533 MHz, pt. 1 (EDITED WITH EXTRA DETAILS)

The DRCGs (Direct Rambus Clock Generators), located under the bottom CPU and close to the i840 chipset, have 2 input pins that set the multiplier for the RDRAM, Mult0 (Pin15) and Mult1(Pin14). I made the following image from the datasheet, it has the multiplier corresponding to each setting of Mult0/1, also taken from the datasheet. The ** marks stuff that is not available or implemented on the OR840.

20180215_drcgs.png
Filename
20180215_drcgs.png
File size
68 KiB
Views
File license

Between the IDE connectors is the unpopulated J2H1 jumper and a couple of unpopulated resistor pads

20180215_j2h1.jpg
Filename
20180215_j2h1.jpg
File size
144.15 KiB
Views
File license

Here's what I've been able to piece out so far;

• Mult1 in both DRCGs is pulled up to 3.3 V with a 4.7 kΩ resistor, i.e., its always 1,
  • Pin1 of J2H1 goes to the top pad of R2H5, the bottom pad of which goes to 3.3 V, i.e. Pin1 will pull up Pin2 to 3.3 V once a proper resistor is connected,
  • Pin2 of J2H1 goes to Mult0 of both DRCGs. It also connects to Pin35 of the LPC47B273 chip, which is the Super I/O chip,
  • Pin3 of J2H1 seems to not be connected to anything, i.e. it will leave Mult0 alone.

Looking at the table of truth for Mult0/1, the available settings correspond to Mult1 hardwired to 1, while Mult0 somehow switches between 0 or 1 according to the FSB and RDRAM installed. The jumper J2H1 should allow one to pull-up Mult0 and "hardwire it" to 1 as well. While this seems like it would work fine for 100 MHz FSB CPUs, it also seems I would run into trouble with 133 MHz FSB CPUs, at least according to the table of truth I found in the datasheet. Also, Pin2 of J2H1 is weird, I have no clue why its connected to the SuperI/O chip, so I'm looking at its datasheet to see if I can figure out what's up.

The plan is install a pull-up resistor, I'll use 4.7 kΩ like its already installed in the board for Mult1, install the jumper and test the board. If trouble rises, my back up plan is to add an extra jumper near the DRCGs to switch Mult1 between 0 and 1: there is an unpopulated resistor pad nearby where I can pull-down to ground quite comfortably, so I would just need to add an extra wire for the current input. I will be busy on Saturday with some other things, but I should be able to do this on Sunday as it seems to be a simple mod. In any case, I got a nice IBM keyboard to test the IBM board...

20180215_keyboard.jpg
Filename
20180215_keyboard.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license

More later.

Reply 95 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RDRAM@533 MHz, pt. 2

This is a continuation of the previous post, basically filling in more gaps by studying the datasheet of the DRCGs. Here's a picture of the i840 chipset,
the small ICs marked W134MH on either side are the DRCGs;

20180216_i840.jpg
Filename
20180216_i840.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
20180216_drcgs.png
Filename
20180216_drcgs.png
File size
54.99 KiB
Views
File license

The diagram above is simplified and annotated directly from the datasheet, on the top left is the mainboard's Clock Generator, top center features the DRCG, and the bottom part features the i840's MCH. Also included is the table of truth shown in the DRCGs' datasheet, which overrides what we found in the i840's datasheet (it was more of an implementation guideline in order to accommodate different DRCGs that could be available). The flow is roughly as follows;

• Clockgen generates the FSB and the Refclk, which is FSB/2, and sends them to the MCH and the DRCGs respectively,
  • The DRCG receives two input signals: Mult0 and Mult1 (not in the diagram). Depending on their values, it sets different values for 2 variables A and B,
  • The DRCG takes the Refclk, multiplies it by A, and divides by B. This generates Busclk. The ratio A/B is the overall multiplier that sets the speed of the RDRAM,
  • The MCH takes Busclk and divides it by 4, generating Synclk,
  • The MCH now has 2 signals concerning the RDRAM: FSB and Synclk. These operate different parts of the MCH which must be able to talk to each other. Since in general FSB will be different than Synclk, a "Gear Ratio block" is used in order to make a translation from one frequency to the other. The idea is to choose 2 variables, M and N, such that FSB/M and Synclk/N are equal.
  • The 2 frequencies generated by the Gear Ratio block are sent back to the DRCG, into a Phase Detector which detects any difference in phase there may be between them and uses it to align the output Busclk. The maximum input frequency for the Phase Detector, as far as I can tell from the datasheet, seems to be 33 MHz.

So, for example, lets take the FSB as 133 MHz, and the values of Mult0 and Mult1 to be 0 and 1 respectively (this is the case of the OR840 running 133 MHz FSB CPUs):

• Refclk is 66 MHz,
  • A is 6, B is 1, so Busclk is 400 MHz (which means the RDRAM is running at 400 MHz, or PC-800),
  • Synclk is 100 MHz,
  • FSB (133 MHz) and Synclk (100 MHz) are different, so the Gear Ratio block chooses M=4 and N=3, yielding FSB/4=Synclk/3=33 MHz (actual vlues of M and N taken from datasheet).

In order to enable RDRAM operation at 533 MHz (PC-1066) we need Mult0 and Mult1 to be 1 and 1 respectively, which can be achieved with the extra jumper described in the previous post. We would have:

• Refclk is again 66 MHz,
  • A is 8, B is 1, which yields Busclk of 533 MHz (PC-1066 RDRAM)
  • Synclk is 133 MHz,
  • FSB and Synclk are equal, Gear Ratio block chooses M=N=4, giving FSB/4=Synclk/4=33 MHz.

The frequency going back to the DRCGs and entering the Phase Detector, 33 MHz, is within spec, trouble may arise within the DRCGs if they are not able to phase align a 533 MHz Busclk, though. I had ordered a spare set of DRCGs for a previous project I was/am working on, and they are drop-in replacements that support 533 MHz so if there is trouble I can substitute them. On the MCH side of things, it hinges on it being able to drive the RDRAM at 533 MHz (assign proper timings, etc), and pick 4 as a value for N in the Gear Ratio block. I know it has nothing to do with the case at hand, but according to the datasheet the i850 operates outside spec when running 533 MHz RDRAM. I hope the i840 is able to do the same.

I still have no clue why Pin2 of the Jumper is connected to the SuperIO chip, but I have not looked into it. More later.

Reply 96 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RDRAM@533 MHz, pt. 3: Failure!

20180219_jumper.jpg
Filename
20180219_jumper.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license

Jumper and pull-up resistor have been installed. As usual I have no 0603 resistors at hand, so I used an 0805 rated at 4.7 kΩ in a semi-tombstone position. Fired up the machine with the jumper set to 2-3 first: RDRAM was recognized as PC800, normal boot up, normal Windows start up, normal benchmark results.

Power down the machine, set the jumper to 1-2, turn it on. I expected it to fail: no boot up, beeping, or even smoke (only half kidding here, even if I check my work like 5 times I'm always nervous before first power up). Instead it turns on right away. I go into the BIOS, RDRAM recognized as PC800, normal boot up, normal Windows start up, normal benchmark results.

Nothing changed at all.

I blame the SuperI/O chip connection. I've only skimmed the datasheet, but pin 35 is a general purpose input/output pin which can be used basically for whatever. Right now I have 2 options available to me: immerse myself into the datasheet and figure out what it does exactly, or carefully lift pin 35 and have only the jumper controlling Mult0 in the DRCGs. Whatever I decide, I'll do so next weekend since this week is pretty busy.

I've also been looking around the web for experiences with these W134M DRCGs: generally they seem to be pretty bad and will not go for 533 MHz. If I get to a point where the experiment fails because of the DRCGs, i.e. if I can actually force them to run at 533 MHz without being overridden by something else on the board, I'll swap them for the spare set I bought last year.

Reply 98 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RDRAM@533 MHz, pt. 4: Good failure!

luckybob wrote:

Well, nothing is completely a failure if something was learned

True dat. Speaking of learning things, I learned a few things today! I know I said I wouldn't touch this until next weekend, but I lied.

I decided to test my theory that the SuperI/O chip was at fault and set out to lift pin35 to see what happened. Before doing so I did some voltage measurements;
When pins 2-3 of J2H1 are connected, Mult0 is grounded. At the same time, pin 1 of J2H1 is at 3.3 V.
When pins 1-2 of J2H1 are connected, Mult0 is grounded! It should be 3.3 V, but the SuperI/O chip was pulling down the voltage.

Oops.

I should have taken care of this before even powering on the machine. In any case, I powered off the machine and looked at the SuperI/O chip: the pins are small. Given the heat and the torque applied, I could potentially break the pin, an irreversible damage. Instead of lifting the pin I decided to cut a trace that would be easily fixable if I want to reverse the operation. I took a sharp knife and made the slightest cut above the aforementioned pin...

20180220_correctTrace.jpg
Filename
20180220_correctTrace.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

Mission accomplished!

The machine boots properly when J2H1 is set to 2-3—though I had to ground pin 3 or I would get beeping announcing memory failure—, and it attempts to boot up but fails when I set the jumper to 1-2. The voltages read in both cases indicate Mult0 and Mult1 have values 0 and 1 when J2H1 is set to 2-3, and both 1 when its set to 1-2: the jumper is now functional.

If I want to go forward with this madness, I'll have to replace the DRCGs and see what happens.

Reply 99 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A quick update on the Intellistation board: it works just fine!

The BIOS was in german, so first order of business was flashing it back to english. There are a lot more options than are present on intel's version, which allows for "finer control" if you wish. There are also 2 lovely things about this board's BIOS: you can modify the boot-up image, so setting up a "vanity boot image" is possible; and more importantly, you can add new CPU microcodes directly to the flash diskette without modifying the BIOS itself! This will make adding the Tualatin microcodes a breeze, though it really isn't needed as the machine will boot the Tualakings without them. Besides the different BIOS, it also features onboard sound and a "built-in" I/O shield—overall its a nice, quality version of the OR840.

Since I have no real use for it, though, negotiations are ongoing to relocate it to Australia: the person I'm selling it to wants to rebuild Maximum PC's Dream Machine 2000, and I would love to see that happen. OR840s deserve a loving home too!

---

Concerning the RDRAM "overclocking": I've been thinking just how useful this will be if done by itself, and also if there is more I can do to improve the system's performance. Let's say everything works and I succeed to set it up. I get PC1066 RDRAM working, so what? It'll give me a slight increase in bandwidth, which will go unused by any Pentium3, even a pair of Tualakings (speculation on my part).

I think the more interesting way forward would be to actually overclock the CPUs so they can better use what bandwidth is already available—in theory, Tualakings should at least be able to hit 1500 MHz relatively easy. I've been thinking about constructing a "poor man's TurboPLL", basically salvaging a clock generator from an old scrap motherboard and feed the CPUs with its output, leaving everything else on the board running at stock speeds.

At this point its just an idea, I have not planned anything definite. I read some old websites with TurboPLL mods, and skimmed the 440BX's datasheet to get an idea of how clocking works in the platform. I am fairly certain I can come up with something similar for the i840, but honestly, I'm too busy playing Baldur's Gate in my spare time at the moment.