VOGONS

Super Socket 7/Voodoo 3 machine

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes the MVP3 could cache only 128MB max (writetrough) but that is only when the CPU has no on die L2 cache. When you have a K6-III or K6-2+/III+ you can safely go with 256MB of RAM.
http://www.amd-k6.com/cacheable-ram-on-socket-7-platforms/

Reply 21 of 28, by Cheaker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried to reach you in private but was not able for me due to forum restrictions. I have a question about connecting turbo button to this exact motherboard - can't do because never done this 😀
Please PM for convenience. Thanks in advance!

Reply 22 of 28, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cheaker wrote:

Tried to reach you in private but was not able for me due to forum restrictions. I have a question about connecting turbo button to this exact motherboard - can't do because never done this 😀
Please PM for convenience. Thanks in advance!

Hi! Check your PM

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 23 of 28, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:
Hi, all […]
Show full quote

Hi, all

Finally got everything I needed for a SS7 build! Namely:

An AMD K6-3+ 400 ATZ

Wyyxs23m.jpg

A Lucky Star 5MVP3 rev 4.0 motherboard

b0lpe93m.jpg

Probably, the most common SS7 motherboard in Russia. Lucky Star is a brand that was often used by a really popular OEM vendor called Formoza and some of these boards are even reported to be assembled in Moscow. I have probably seven of their boards, mostly 430VX and 430TX. I actually even have two of these 5MVP3's 😀.

This is a thread very old. I'm sorry for for "bringing" it back. In the first message from the thread jheronimus said the going to use an AMD K6-3+ 400 ATZ in a Lucky Star 5MVP3 rev 4.0 motherboard. The voltage core for this CPU is 1.6. I have this motherboard and the minimun voltage for cpus is 2.1V.

Is not it a "savagery"? (0.5V more - 30% )
Will not the CPU burn in a short time?

Reply 24 of 28, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That was the very first question I had when dealing with "plus" models of K6, actually. I've asked it here, and the consensus of that short thread seemed to be "it's okay as long as you use adequate cooling".

Besides, there aren't many SS7 motherboards that support voltages lower than 2.0v anyhow.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 25 of 28, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

That was the very first question I had when dealing with "plus" models of K6, actually. I've asked it here, and the consensus of that short thread seemed to be "it's okay as long as you use adequate cooling".

Besides, there aren't many SS7 motherboards that support voltages lower than 2.0v anyhow.

Great!!

I have got a AMD K6-3+ 400 ATZ too

Reply 27 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i got 5mvp3 4.0.

I have few question about it:

1. Where to get last bios? I have on bios boot screen AUG06-05 message, i suppose that is version of bios. I found on this page: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm#bios , but its only *.bin file, where to get flash utility, can i download lasted Award 2010 flash utility, or i need something older?
    Update: Ok there is changelog so i have last bios before last one - http://web.tiscali.it/acorp/?http://web.tisca … mvp3_gemini.htm? there is link for Award Flash 7.41, but im not able to download it. I would need this version anyway, because i have 120 GB HDD and previous support maybe 32 GB ones.
  2. I know, know that you recommend 128 MB mem, because of cache etc.. But i want at least try to boot Windows 200 and XP with more ram. My ALI V SS7 board is able to use 256 MB sticks - 3x256=768 MB, but with this board so far only 128 MB sticks are working? Manage someone to get working 256 MB ones? With this or other VIA chipset SS7 MB?
  3. I tried AMD K6 2+ 533 and 550 CPU, but both are stuck on boot screen, regardless of DIP switch setting im getting Unkown 400 MHz CPU and stuck at boot screen, keyboard is not responding..
  4. When i try AMD K6- 2 - 450 its working fine, when i try AMD K6-2 on any clock its not booting.. i tried this CPU with ALI V few months ago, but it worked, i could kill it, but i doubt it.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 28 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok i fixed with one bios, but i need help with PS/2 mouse header i dont have original one.. and in manual is almost nothing.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.