VOGONS

First post, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So you may have seen my other system thread; "P4 Rambus system", about a first gen P4 S423 at 1.4Ghz on a P4T with a Rage6 Radeon. That machine is all about nostalgia as it carries some parts I always wanted when I was still a kid and some parts I actually owned back then.
But I could do with some more *bling* 😎

Soooo I scored a neat Gen2 setup and added some flavors 😁

The case is again an oldskool all aluminium Cooler Master, this time the magnificent Wave Master in the limited NVidia edition spec. You might remember this one from: an older spec thread "Mean Green", but I cancelled that one (mainly because of the death of my beloved Canopus GF3)
Inside the GEN2:

* MSI 850 Pro5 board, S478
* 2x 256MB Blue rimms
* A P4 1.9Ghz
* SB Live 5.1

But the real jewels are the MSI GF3 Ti500 Pro-VTG card and the Japanese Sugoi card. I found the GF3 locally, boxed in excellent condition. Missing where the driver/game cd's and the VGA pass-through cable but for the rest everything was present and in top shape. So to try out the 3D glasses I'll grab one of my V2 pass-through cables to feed the daughter board.
The Sugoi card was part of a package deal I did on Taobao, actually the same package that carried that Canopus X21.

I poppped in an 80GB HD and a silver bezel LG optical. It is currently running WinXP SP3 and a fresh install of Q3 shows a promising 150+ fps timedemo in 1024*768*32 😈

IMG_0592.JPG
Filename
IMG_0592.JPG
File size
226.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0593.JPG
Filename
IMG_0593.JPG
File size
178.4 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0594.JPG
Filename
IMG_0594.JPG
File size
277.33 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0595.JPG
Filename
IMG_0595.JPG
File size
289.78 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0596.JPG
Filename
IMG_0596.JPG
File size
294.12 KiB
Views
File license

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 1 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IMG_0608.JPG
Filename
IMG_0608.JPG
File size
197.24 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0607.JPG
Filename
IMG_0607.JPG
File size
210.84 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0606.JPG
Filename
IMG_0606.JPG
File size
246.73 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0605.JPG
Filename
IMG_0605.JPG
File size
282.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The GEN1 and GEN2 side by side 😎

IMG_0609.JPG
Filename
IMG_0609.JPG
File size
170.83 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0610.JPG
Filename
IMG_0610.JPG
File size
187.31 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 20, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm jealous of your GF3 ti500. 🤣

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 4 of 20, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wow! Very cool 😀 love that CM wavemaster

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 5 of 20, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am reeeeaally digging the all red look. I usually think only 1 red component looks tacky (I'm running a red 9800Pro with all other components green), but this all red setup looks beautiful!

Also, that mobo has some weird RAM slot positioning!

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 6 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fusion wrote:

I'm jealous of your GF3 ti500. 🤣

Well I liked the looks and the rarity factor of the Canopus X21 more but this is a nice substitute 😀
I'm looking forward to tinker with the 3D glasses especially, IF I get some spare time

Reply 7 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ATi_Loyalist wrote:

Oh wow! Very cool 😀 love that CM wavemaster

Yeah odskool CM's rock 😎
In the nearby future I'll have another one coming up, the one I bought myself in my youth. It will house my most precious setup, but more on that soon 😉

Reply 8 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote:

I am reeeeaally digging the all red look. I usually think only 1 red component looks tacky (I'm running a red 9800Pro with all other components green), but this all red setup looks beautiful!

Also, that mobo has some weird RAM slot positioning!

I always care for looks when the hw is exposed and agree this looks nice. Some cool visual upgrades still and it will look even better.
The rimm position is unusual indeed; the one below the cpu is actually rimm 1. I had to add terminators to rimms 3&4 because I'm only running one pair.

Reply 9 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was hoping that Sugoi card would install itself under XP but that appears to be in vain ...
So the hunt begins for drivers for a Japanese addin card ...
Oh boy

Reply 10 of 20, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en& … %2Fdownload.htm

The "Great Card" (Sugoi = Great in Japanese) PCI drivers are likely what you are looking for. Windows XP should have automatically installed the firewire and USB OHCI and EHCI drivers.

Reply 11 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

The "Great Card" (Sugoi = Great in Japanese) PCI drivers are likely what you are looking for. Windows XP should have automatically installed the firewire and USB OHCI and EHCI drivers.

How awesome is that. Thanks a million for helping me out ! I'll check it out as soon as I get home.

Reply 12 of 20, by Xplo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey man

That looks awesome so far. And like somebody else said, very jealous on the ti500.!

You manage to get your hands on some very cool stuff

Followed your mean green thread aswell. What ever happened to the parts for that build. You still got them?

Reply 13 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xplo wrote:
Hey man […]
Show full quote

Hey man

That looks awesome so far. And like somebody else said, very jealous on the ti500.!

You manage to get your hands on some very cool stuff

Followed your mean green thread aswell. What ever happened to the parts for that build. You still got them?

Thanks !

I sure do have that HW, along with lots of other AthlonXP stuff

Reply 14 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AzzKickr wrote:
NJRoadfan wrote:

How awesome is that. Thanks a million for helping me out ! I'll check it out as soon as I get home.

I postponed this until now because of the ridiculously good weather currently in Belgium. We don't get that many days of excellent sunny weather so gotta make the most of it when they do arrive. Too good to spend inside tinkering on old nerd stuff 🤣

So the card works and was able to use those drivers !!
Actually reporting this from my gen2 system now 😀

Reply 15 of 20, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything going on with this build? I want more pictures of this red goodness!

(I really like the hardware you are using)

BTW, unless you are super set on your Sugoi card, have you seen those red USB3 PCI cards that are going around, from startech for example? Maybe something to think about, it will never hit USB3 speeds but it will for sure saturate the PCI bus.

Reply 16 of 20, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not much due to other priorities. But boy does it run good ! I have put it aside for a while now but as soon as I have some more spare time again, I'll take it from the shelf again for sure. Lots of other builds planned too.

Never heared of USB3 PCI cards ? Sounds interesting. Any link ?

Reply 17 of 20, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something like this is what I have in mind. This one is expensive if bought new, but you may find them 2nd hand for around €20 every now and then. Due to PCI bus limitations, it is theoretically capped at around 133 MB/s and you will not get the full USB3 bandwidth. It is still way faster than USB2 and should be on par with the SATA interface of your motherboard, and its powered so you can directly plug a USB3 HDD—convenient!

I am looking into getting one, but I can only find them in red, that's why I remembered this build 😀

Reply 19 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really a fan of silver, matching drives are harder to come by, but have to admit those 2 next to each other look very nice, and goes very nice with the red as well.
Then you go fill them with even more rarer rambus systems, very nice work indeed!