VOGONS

First post, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got the XT-IDE working with a 32 MB DOM yesterday, so my 5150 is complete now. 😀

It's a model from 1984, untouched, never repaired and (unknown to me how) still working perfectly. All I did, apart from cleaning, was populating the empty FPU socket with an original, ceramic Intel 8087 and adding the XT-IDE card in the last empty ISA slot.

Specs:
* Intel 8088 + 8087, 4.77 MHz
* 256 KB RAM on-board
* additional 256 KB RAM on original IBM Memory Card
* IBM Color Graphics Adapter
* IBM Floppy Disk Controller
* IBM Printer Interface
* XT-IDE with 32 MB DOM
* 2 full-height 5.25" IBM Floppy Disk Drives
* 63 watt PSU

MS-DOS 3.2 failed to install, so it's currently running MS-DOS 5.0. I also own three copies of IBM PC DOS 3.3, which is what I intend to run on it eventually.

Reply 5 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone recommend CGA games from the early 80s that are good, representative for their era, and that can be started from hard disk? I want to fill the 32 MB DOM with some stuff. 😎

Reply 6 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A few CGA or 80s games were named here, in some of the older threads :

Looking for old DOS Game
The year is 1990 and you still have a PC/XT and can't upgrade. Which games are you playing?
Decent composite CGA games not available in VGA?

😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a really really nice system... and it's all complete! Please, keep this good and preserved to the end of days.

I would lose myself happily here for a few hours every weekend... playing the original Monkey Island / PoP. 😀

Enjoy it.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 10, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Can anyone recommend CGA games from the early 80s that are good, representative for their era, and that can be started from hard disk? I want to fill the 32 MB DOM with some stuff. 😎

Crysis 3 on max settings

Also, how did the 5150 not collect tones of dust?