VOGONS

First post, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Think of the biggest names in PC clones in the '80s: Compaq obviously, HP, Dell, Zenith. What, what? Yes, after buying out Heath, Zenith had the 2nd largest share of the PC clone market after Compaq thanks to a shrewd decision to sell to big organisations like the government and their agencies (military, navy, etc) and manufacturing their own monitors. By undercutting the XT, offering faster processing speeds, but still providing solid build quality and good support, they were able to effectively sneak in the back door of the PC market.

Their most popular model was the Z-150, which was released in 1984 and kept up with developments over the next few years. They even released an AT Clone. British Telecom (BT) signed a deal in the mid '80s to use rebadged Zenith Z-159s in their call management solutions and one of these is my most recent acquisition. I'm super excited about it, as it's my first 8-bit machine, and was relatively cheap compared to what I've seen genuine IBMs go for. I was also fortunate enough to have found a dumped Commodore 1084S monitor a couple of years ago, but I'm lacking a genuine IBM CGA card and XT keyboard. I have both a CGA and EGA clone though so that'll do for now.

Architecturally it's an interesting clone:

- It uses an ISA backplane. This gives it a smaller footprint than the XT.
- It includes two proprietary cards which, although they use the AT bus, are wider than standard cards.
- One is the CPU card and includes a Fujitsu 8088-2, which can be physically switched between 5MHz or 8MHz.
- The other is the floppy and serial controller.
- The RAM is on a separate card but is required for the computer to run. As it includes both the conventional memory and EMS (and parallel), I don't know whether an alternative card would work.
- It came with a Novell ARCnet card which I have removed.
- I've swapped the Paradise EGA card out for a 'dual graphics' MDA/CGA card and am using composite at the moment.
- Although a fixed disk was an option for this model, this one comes with 2x 5.25" drives so at least I won't need to swap disks between games and the OS.

I spent the last two evenings cleaning the computer inside and out, particularly the PSU as that was the most likely component to fail and the filthiest. I think its main user was a smoker! The scrapper I bought it from said it powered on but that's all they could say about it. The fan works perfectly and is very quiet. After checking everything else over with a fine tooth comb, I powered it up and got an error about the floppy controlled being bad. This did not bode well and replacing it with an IBM alternative didn't work. After feeding the error into Google and finding an article in PC Mag from 1984, I tried reseating all the chips and... it worked!! All I need now is an XT-compatible keyboard and some more 5.25" disks so I can experience some genuine CGA gaming goodness!!! Seriously, it's taken less time to get this thing working than a 486 and it's been more fun.

The seller's main pic:

s-l500.jpg
Filename
s-l500.jpg
File size
15.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The CPU card (sadly no co-pro, not that it's needed but, you know...):

CPU - Top.png
Filename
CPU - Top.png
File size
4.63 MiB
Views
File license

The system cleaned up and powered on:

20170607_223013-2656x1494.jpg
Filename
20170607_223013-2656x1494.jpg
File size
726.98 KiB
Views
File license
20170607_223144-2656x1494.jpg
Filename
20170607_223144-2656x1494.jpg
File size
650.13 KiB
Views
File license

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh Zenith... I had a 486/66 from them - wish I still had it. Just a plain looking case with that green tree logo IIRC.
These older systems are really nice kudos on the restoration!
Your 1084 has a TTL input as well right? You can make a simple cable and connect it to the cga's 9pin output - it will resort in better picture. Composite is fine for quick tests but since the 1084 is PAL you won't get any color out of it.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Oh Zenith... I had a 486/66 from them - wish I still had it. Just a plain looking case with that green tree logo IIRC.
These older systems are really nice kudos on the restoration!
Your 1084 has a TTL input as well right? You can make a simple cable and connect it to the cga's 9pin output - it will resort in better picture. Composite is fine for quick tests but since the 1084 is PAL you won't get any color out of it.

Funny you should mention it - when I initially tested the monitor I hooked it up to my Raspberry Pi and got mono. At first I thought this meant it was faulty, but switching to NTSC fixed it, weirdly. I do have a 9 pin D-sub, I just need a gender changer to hook it up (I tried using an RS-232 to adapt it, but it's not straight through). I need to work out the various capabilities of my graphics cards (the one I mistakenly offered to you, and the paradise one).

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3 of 5, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lovely design of that case. Could we get a top-down photo showing more of the internals? 😀 I've got a Zenith Z-Station Pentium machine. It's a pizza-box style PC with a riser. Perhaps one of the latest models? Interesting story about the brand there, thanks for sharing.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 4 of 5, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DeafPK wrote:

Lovely design of that case. Could we get a top-down photo showing more of the internals? 😀 I've got a Zenith Z-Station Pentium machine. It's a pizza-box style PC with a riser. Perhaps one of the latest models? Interesting story about the brand there, thanks for sharing.

I've got a video in the works but yeah I can upload some pics of the insides. When you look at one of these next to an XT the advantages to the design decisions are clear: the PSU and floppy drives are significantly smaller in size, effectively offering double the space for expansion, a big factor that gave this system appeal over the XT. Competition is definitely good. 😀

Zenith Data Systems were somehow in trouble by 1989 and were bought out by French-government-backed Groupe Bull $635m, the largest amount paid for a PC manufacturer at the time. It was soon after this that they released the SuperSport SX - the world's first 386 laptop. Fast forward to 1996 and Packard Bell, which had only sold consumer PCs up to that point, earned themselves the largest share of the US PC market ahead of Compaq by buying Zenith. They apparently did this to get their teeth into the corporate market dominated by Compaq and HP but they, too, were in trouble and needed Zenith's brand to prop up their own failing business. They continued to sell Zenith-branded computers.

Certainly sounds like yours might have been one of the last models, as the PII didn't come out until 1997.

@Keropi - I made a cable and it works perfectly. I've always been interested in the differences between composite and RGB in this age of PC. I was playing Duke Nukem on my 386 with the 1084 last night 😀