VOGONS

First post, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like previously promised I hereby start presenting my old and odd computers to you guys. I have been browsing this forum for so long and I am very impressed with the commitment and positiveness of the people hanging around in here. I hope I can contribute to this and hopefully learn a thing or two.

The computer I have here used to be an LGA775 Celeron PC from Lenovo. Nothing more fancy than your daily office rat workstation, proprietary motherboard and very limited ways of expansion. I was allowed to pick it from a dumpster as long as the internals got gutted out. I ripped out the hard drive and the mobo aswell and pictured a low-power ITX HTPC would be a cool mod. I later found this to be tricky and found another solution to the ITX build. I still liked the hinged case too much to just throw it again, and then an idea struck.

I had a single-board computer lying around, this came from a weird touch screen apparatus which in turn served as a controller for a big industrial machine. The single-board came with an MMX processor but only had an ISA expansion so it could never do any 3D graphics and PCI stuff. So I figured, what the heck, drilled some holes in the Lenovo case and mounted this MMX single-board on some standoff screws. It was a quick and dirty put-together but it fit just nice.

IMG_20170609_192720.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_192720.jpg
File size
394 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The board is an INSIDE single-board with a LIF socket 7 and it's manufactured in 2002 according to the silk screen. There is an onboard 8MB SSD from which the machine can boot from. Haven't tried this yet. Between the 34 pin floppy connector and the IDE there is a wider connector that went to the touch LCD screen on the apparatus. There are some options i the BIOS as to what type of screen is connected.

IMG_20170609_192741.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_192741.jpg
File size
283.58 KiB
Views
File license

I installed 64 megs of RAM and a 256k COAST. Probably not the best combo but it needs both DIMM slots to be populated.

IMG_20170609_192826.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_192826.jpg
File size
174.63 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium MMX 200 with a neat screw-on cooler. It is probably meant to fit ceramic CPUs because it might pull an MMX apart if you twist it too hard. I put on a drop of cooling paste and gently twisted it together.

IMG_20170609_192907.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_192907.jpg
File size
259.23 KiB
Views
File license

oh, and yeah, an ESS audiodrive that goes into the single board. Looks like all the pins on the underside of this puppy are just replicating the connectors from the ISA slot. I modified a front panel header to at least give me audio out on the front of the computer.

IMG_20170609_192931.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_192931.jpg
File size
178.99 KiB
Views
File license

Hot rodded some wires and used a turbo button as an on-off switch on the green wire from the PSU. It's shoddy I know - and I will probably solder this together properly in a while. May the gods of cable management have mercy!

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 1 of 6, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_20170609_193958.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_193958.jpg
File size
150.94 KiB
Views
File license

This just looks so odd, the mid-nullties design of the case, the front USB headers and a 5,25 inch floppy drive... It's a Chinon drive and works like a charm. No belt drive and I have spent hours cleaning off little grains of dust from the inside. I did in fact boot my IBM PC-DOS 2.1 disk on this computer!

So I hear you asking "Why?" and the answer is simply that I have a bunch of these old 360k disks and I would like to backup all the data they hold and possibly write new data for my 8088 machines. I can easily download files, put them on a USB drive, and copy or imgwrite straight to a floppy disk using this machine. Kind of a time bridge machine. I found newer hardware like PIII and P4 not very supportive of anything less than 1.2 MB floppies and the older 486 guys doesn't do USB naturally. I could always network some machines and to the same trick but this was just so convenient.

IMG_20170609_194010.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_194010.jpg
File size
224.98 KiB
Views
File license

There it is all put together. It got pretty crammed in there, but there is actually some empty space underneath the two purple plastic sliders. The case could be mounted with a slim style 3,5" floppy drive. Would require a different front assembly though.

IMG_20170609_194607.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_194607.jpg
File size
224.28 KiB
Views
File license

It has one of these fancy GUI BIOS Setups. Just mouse around and do your thing... I actually remember this being something to brag about in the late 90's.

IMG_20170609_194623.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_194623.jpg
File size
247.57 KiB
Views
File license

There are a lot of options from INSIDE including some optimistic clocking .. Better not jerk around too much here!

IMG_20170609_194740.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_194740.jpg
File size
199.25 KiB
Views
File license

All go for boot.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 2 of 6, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_20170609_194759.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_194759.jpg
File size
174.83 KiB
Views
File license

The machine now sits on this desk / shelf (IKEA FTW) and you can see a 2-way KVM switch to the top right. I can switch between this PC and a Pentium 4 that sits on the floor. The screen in use is an LG Flatron L1730SF which also is a USB / Serial touch screen. Froody thing! Haven't tried that yet. The left screen is another 4:3 LCD and is not in use at the moment.

IMG_20170609_195033.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170609_195033.jpg
File size
153.8 KiB
Views
File license

I am using my old 512MB mp3 player for file transfer. I still have the original software and it is the best USB drive I have ever tried on Windows 98se, it just works. Heck, I am seriously thinking about using this device again for music listening. It's so tiny and super easy to use while riding a bike as compared to the giant phones we all drag around today. Well, the grumpy old man syndrome came faster than expected.

So long, thanks for all the fish, any comments are welcome! Hope you liked it. Next up will probably be the Pentium 4 that does the rest of the work for me.

Reply 3 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, I love the "to hell with it, throw it in" mentality that results in builds like this. The black 5.25" floppy in that case is awesome.

That ESS Audiodrive is in the so-called PC/104 format BTW, those are hard to find! That format was mostly used in industrial controllers & embedded gear so multimedia / 'fun' peripherals weren't a priority. You can find other modules that "stack" on top of it, or even make a whole computer shaped like a big sandwich.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's awesome! 😁
Some real nice handywork right there haha! 😁

It's strange to see that BIOS screen mentioning 200/66MHz 🤣. Iirc that BIOS wasn't very liked back then? But I kinda liked it anyhow. And it was back then the easiest way for me to test my serial mouses if they still worked or not. Can it also change colors? Maybe you have even more options? It had 4 different color patterns I think?

I don't know if more modern motherboard will not work with 360KB FDDs, but I can confirm that one of my A64 motherboards worked perfectly fine with a 2.88MB floppy drive (it's another odd format).

Btw, wouldn't it be interesting to see which motherboards work with what types of floppy drives? And especially the more recent motherboards?

Is it actually a hardware problem or is it software?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 6, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, you guys.

I have not succeeded in changing the color palettes of the BIOS, it does not mention it anywhere. Everything else seems so intuitive so I guess they didn't care for that specific option. It does however support a wide range of different COM protocols, and RS232 is the default. I can also adjust a lot of timings here and there. Also the board has an 8-pin connector where all pins are General Purpose I/O and can be set in BIOS to become Input of Output. Kinda like an Arduino of the long gone past? I suppose you would need some schematics and correct software for such.

The 360k floppy compatibility is indeed an interesting thing that could be investigated closer. I did notice that my ASUS x58 motherboard has the option (and physical connector) for 360k, 1.2M, 720k and 1.44M drives in BIOS. I have only tested 1.44 and in Windows 7 - that worked.
However as mentioned my P4, Piii and K8N Athlon 64 does not fare well with the 360k drive. Have not tested the 1.2M drive I also have in my collection. Also, I wonder if you had a modern system and actually got the mobo to talk with the 360k drive, how old would the OS have to be to be able to work with it?

Reply 6 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeafPK wrote:
Thanks, you guys. […]
Show full quote

Thanks, you guys.

I have not succeeded in changing the color palettes of the BIOS, it does not mention it anywhere. Everything else seems so intuitive so I guess they didn't care for that specific option. It does however support a wide range of different COM protocols, and RS232 is the default. I can also adjust a lot of timings here and there. Also the board has an 8-pin connector where all pins are General Purpose I/O and can be set in BIOS to become Input of Output. Kinda like an Arduino of the long gone past? I suppose you would need some schematics and correct software for such.

The 360k floppy compatibility is indeed an interesting thing that could be investigated closer. I did notice that my ASUS x58 motherboard has the option (and physical connector) for 360k, 1.2M, 720k and 1.44M drives in BIOS. I have only tested 1.44 and in Windows 7 - that worked.
However as mentioned my P4, Piii and K8N Athlon 64 does not fare well with the 360k drive. Have not tested the 1.2M drive I also have in my collection. Also, I wonder if you had a modern system and actually got the mobo to talk with the 360k drive, how old would the OS have to be to be able to work with it?

Yw 😀

I think I used some floppy format program when running XP as XP by default could only format a limited number of different floppy disk formats? I was using Winimage version 4 (I figured out I could reset the trial from the resistry and version 4 worked..so I stuck with that one) but I did have a newer version of Winimage as well (version 8 iirc). There was some other programs that could reformat in odd formats, but most of those required at least some DOS.

My main reason for running these experiments on my (at the time most fastest) main rig (which was running XP) was to get my 2.88MB floppy drive working and it worked perfectly fine.
My Phenom II AM3 motherboard does in fact have an onboard floppy connector, but never attached a floppy drive to it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!