VOGONS

First post, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use this machine for browsing the web, downloading drivers, programs, setup images, et cetera. It is the most modern computer I allow in my shed and I do not consider it retro at all. It just fits the bill of running Win 98se and XP in dual boot, meaning it can run a wide variety of software. It also have SATA and IDE cables hanging out the front so I easily can access hard drives if be needed.

Specs: socket 478, 3.0 GHz, 2x 1GB ddr400, 9800pro, Raptor 37GB, wifi and noisy fans.

The case is Aopen-something and I've had it since '04, sadly my original 775 setup was utterly destroyed by a younger and dumber version of myself overclocking the bejeez out of the poor thing.

Attachments

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me a lot like how my first 1GHz Coppermine ended up, except that at some point I even never bothered to put back the side panel, for easier access 🤣!

I did find its 40GB IDE drive to be inadequate for data backup (I used it for this purpose for some time) and to have to add and remove harddrives turned out to be kinda a devious task.

Nice to see someone's workhorse, it even comes with a similar I'm-neglected-but-simply-will-not-die retro-look 🤣 (no offense 😜)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are socket 478 P4s downwards unlocked? If so, this would make the basis of an excellent Win98/DOS power machine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 5, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unlike AMD's Athlon64 or maybe some rare P4 engineering samples, the standard P4 has a fixed multiplier.

You can downclock via FSB, if the BIOS has some settings, so a P4 3.0GHz (800FSB) can run between 1.5GHz to 3GHz.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got 2 P4 era Compaq SFF's and a laptop that keep getting dragged back out of storage for some mundane tasks and while I don't love them I've grown attached to them!
Besides give it long enough and It will become retro!

Reply 5 of 5, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess we all have our skeletons in the closets! It's not that I hate this PC, it's just that there is that pile of (0-4)86 machines next to it.

There is no underclocking for this motherboard, it is locked. The board even lacks its fourth power phase, its so cheaply put together.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ