VOGONS

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The newer PC the family uses:

Compaq Presario 6016US(MY STEPDAD BOUGHT IT, DON'T BLAME ME!)
AMD Athlon XP 1800+(sucks when you want to play UT 2004)
512 MB PC2100 DDR RAM(it shows its age when everyone else uses PC3200)
ATI Radeon 9600 XT(Free HL2 for me, but will it run well?)
Integrated nForce sound chipset(If this has sound problems with games like Tron 2.0, Halo, or an UnrealEngine1 game with UseDirectSound=True...there's a problem. Especially when you use a 5.1 speaker system with a 2.1 sound system.)
Windows XP Home

I can't even upgrade this thing-the next upgrade will be a new PC in at least 2 years, and he's going to buy ANOTHER pre-built one! I hope there aren't any proprietary(read: ANYTHING BUT GOOD)parts in the new one!

My own rig:

AMD K6-2 366Mhz
Uhh...I forgot how much RAM, but it's in KBs(around 1000000 or so)
Integrated SiS 530 video chipset(IT SUCKS, my dad ripped out the ATI video card(Xpert 98 I believe)because he said it was causing problems)
SB Live! Value
Windows 2000/Windows 98/Mandrake Linux 7.1(Didn't expect THAT, did you?)

I'd like to network these for the older games, but even when I install my cable modem(drivers & all)to my rig, it still won't have Internet access.

EDIT: 3D acceleration from now on will be handled by a single 12 MB Voodoo 2. It comes in quite handy...now if the vendor would just ship it with a passthrough cable!

Last edited by NamelessPlayer on 2005-03-10, 22:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by tonyi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

* DX/2-66, 48M, 1.3G IDE drive, NT4 Server running a DHCP server.on my lan

* P90, 128M, NT4 Server with about 6 SCSI drives doing general file server duty

* K6/2-400, 80M, 9G SCSI, W2K

* Dual PII Xeon, 128M W2K

* Dual P233MMX, 196M, (3) 9G SCSI drives, Debian

Many more, but those are the ones turned on most often. I build my machines to do specific tasks.

Can't fix the thing if you don't have the shit. If you don't have the shit, you can't fix the thing.

Reply 2 of 3, by Iron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nameless, cant you like make a setup and propose he would buy it :)

I think HL2 should run fine on that though. But maybe you might have to let down on the qualities a bit. Atleast I think the 9600 series was 4 pipeline so it is getting a bit slow for like next year.

Umm, what does the cable modem have to do with networking them though?

Reply 3 of 3, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know. What my stepdad plans to do is make a network that allows an Internet connection on both rigs-this also should allow for LAN games. So far, NOTHING has worked. In fact, I can directly connect the cable modem to my rig & install drivers-it STILL doesn't work! I'm trying to establish a netwrok in Windows 2000, BTW, as it runs better than Windows 98 & won't run any games that XP won't run.

It's intended somewhat as a legacy gaming rig, but I want it to play games released around 1999-2000 decently-a perfect example is UT, but it runs like crap without a video card, and it still didn't run too well on large Assault maps with the ATI Xpert 98 PCI video card(the mobo my dad chose lacks an AGP slot?). Maybe you can help me pick out a video card that fits the system best-after all, there is no sense in putting a PCI version of, say, a Radeon X800 when it'll be bottlenecked by the CPU & RAM!