VOGONS

AT Slot 1 build.

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 62, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have a ct2290 that I can say is the best sounding SB16 I have that is not a vibra+opl.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
appiah4 wrote:

I also have a ct2290 that I can say is the best sounding SB16 I have that is not a vibra+opl.

I never had a single vibra that sounded good, but that's just me.

I got the round IDE cables today. I also got the slotcek too, but no cpu

Reply 42 of 62, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I never had a single vibra that sounded good, but that's just me.

I got the round IDE cables today. I also got the slotcek too, but no cpu

I really like the way my OPL3 CT2940 sounds, really clean. But it does have hanging note bugs. CT2230 is a bit noisier, but doesn't suffer from bugs as much.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 45 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

They do look better then I thought.

The whole idea of this build was to make a system that may have been put together in the early 00s and was upgrade from a high end 486 or socket 7 system and the cables really pull that off.

I also bought a fireball plus drive, 7200rpm fireball anyone. I'm trying to find a 20gb Bigfoot right now.
My idea is to use the fireball for the 98 and the 2.5gb Bigfoot for Dos wile the 20gbbigfoot for bulkstorage.

Reply 46 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well this sucks, my last-120 drive has a missing pin on the fdd connector 😵

The second psu and fireball is in the mail. I should get the 766mhz CPU and day now.
I have my fingers creased that the 766mhz cpu will work. if it does I'll pick up something like a GF3ti 200 or something for the system.
if not I'll grab a 533mhz Celly and stick with the g400 max.

EDIT:
Found a new GF3 200ti for the system. Don't know if I'll use it, but if the 766mhz celly will work then its a go for use.
With a 533mhz or the 400mhz celly I have a GF3 is way overkill.

Reply 47 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well I got good news and bad.
I got the second psu today, buts it's one of those over big AT PSUs. So I got to cut up more and of the case.
I waned a excuse to take it all part again to mod the intake fan spot for better air flow.

Ok that was the good news now for the bad.
I was removing the extra wires on the PSUs and fudged up and killed the one for the motherboard. 😒
It was only like 2.50$ and for what it was I got a new psu, like new new. I found a cwt 250w psu for 30$

Reply 48 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have more good and bad news,
Good news is that the system is up and going aside from a missing ata drivers that I'm hunting down. I also got the new 250w psu.

The bad news it that the second PSU I got will not work as a stand alone unit. 😒
But the new 250w psu will do.
But even more bad news ether the board will not work with the 766mhz celly or its bad. it did come with bent pins and I got all put one back in place 100%, one is still kind of bent in the middle and may not be contacting the socket right.

So its ether the 400mhz celly or find a 533mhz sk370 celly.
As for the hole I cut for the psu I'll put a fan there.

Reply 49 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

But even more bad news ether the board will not work with the 766mhz celly or its bad. it did come with bent pins and I got all put one back in place 100%, one is still kind of bent in the middle and may not be contacting the socket right.

And is it possible to set voltage on the slotket via jumpers? Also it might be needed to run it with the 400MHz celeron and flash the aforementioned newest bios first.

Reply 50 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mv_cz wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

And is it possible to set voltage on the slotket via jumpers? Also it might be needed to run it with the 400MHz celeron and flash the aforementioned newest bios first.

I tried both and no go.
I get X0 on my post card. X being a blank. Never seen that one before.

Anyway I got the cables somewhat cleaned up and will be finishing up my 98se install tonight, with any luck I'll have the system benching tonight.

Reply 56 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

fps in doom on dos?

I'll give it a go.
If anyone has any other request let me know by tomorrow at noon. I'll be taking the system down latter tomorrow. I'd hate to do it, but it's just not quite what I wanted.

Edit:
Dumb question. How do you do a time demo in doom or show the fps? I only know how to do that in ports

Reply 58 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

Re: The Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison

i was kust wondering how ot would do against those systems.

Running doom timedemo with the same settings in that link gave me
Timed 5026 gametics in 1678 realtics
Or what ever that means. I don't think I did that right?

Reply 59 of 62, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
Running doom timedemo with the same settings in that link gave me Timed 5026 gametics in 1678 realtics Or what ever that means […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

Re: The Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison

i was kust wondering how ot would do against those systems.

Running doom timedemo with the same settings in that link gave me
Timed 5026 gametics in 1678 realtics
Or what ever that means. I don't think I did that right?

104.8 fps

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.