Topic actions

Reply 20 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

What are your plans for the second PSU?

One PSU will power the motherboard and everything plugged into it, the other will power the CD drives, hard drives and fans.

Reply 21 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How many HDD/ODD devices do you plan to use? I think that one power supply would handle it all (I mean the "classical" configurations like 2xODD and one or two harddrives).

Reply 22 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mv_cz wrote:

How many HDD/ODD devices do you plan to use? I think that one power supply would handle it all (I mean the "classical" configurations like 2xODD and one or two harddrives).

4 hdds (2 bigfoot's and 2 fireballs) 2 fdd's (1.44mb and LS-120) 1 52x cd drive and one 4x PD drive. The one I have is 200w and the other is I think 250-300w.

I'm sure one good PSU will do, but I just like the idea of 2 PSU's. Now only if the board could take 2 CPU's.

Reply 23 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One PSU could handle it, but maybe a quality 300W one. When I had on of my K7s, I had 300W ATX PSU and it powered overclocked AthlonXP, GF3Ti500 (and later R9700), two IDE drives in raid, CDRW burner, CD ROM, some case fans and sometimes another HDD in removable rack.
The board would take only one PSU I suppose, there would be jumpers selecting between AT and ATX mode, but since at least one of your PSUs is an AT style, you can power on it seprately and feed the HDDs from it and the second PSU would be powered on with the motherboard.

Reply 24 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I don't have any ATX psu's, and I would not be able to use the case's power button with one.
Also keep in mind AT PSU's don't output much amperage on the 12v rail. HDD"s fnas and CD drives use 12v.

Reply 25 of 62, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

What are your plans for the second PSU?

One PSU will power the motherboard and everything plugged into it, the other will power the CD drives, hard drives and fans.

Cool, that sounds like it'll work well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK, for now I'm done spending. atlest until I sell my old .28 RC engine.. Yeah I'm out of free spending money for now.

I bought a 766mhz Celeron and a slotek for the system, I don't think the 766mhz cely will work, but I can atlest use a 533mhz one with it and thats another 133mhz over the 400mhz one I have.

Reply 27 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mv_cz wrote:

wow what a huge case and still the motherboard is so large that is obstructed by hdd cage 🙁

Such cases are often basically like standard AT cases, except they have an extra part of the case on top of what the case would usually be.
At least, this is the case (no pun intended 😁) with some veeery large AT case I gotten some years ago.
But in essence it's no difference from the usual AT cases when looking at only the bottom part of it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I see but nevermind, the board fits into it well as I see and the manufacturer clearly was thinking about it and didn't occupied top right part with slots or tall components.

Jade Falcon wrote:

I bought a 766mhz Celeron and a slotek for the system, I don't think the 766mhz cely will work, but I can atlest use a 533mhz one with it and thats another 133mhz over the 400mhz one I have.

I think it's worth trying. If PIII katmai was working on this board, as Moogle! mentioned, I think that coppermine celeron should work. Maybe you will have to set a little higher voltage than CPU's default (1.8V) on the slotket adapter, if the board doesn't support low voltages.

Reply 29 of 62, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mv_cz wrote:

I think it's worth trying. If PIII katmai was working on this board, as Moogle! mentioned, I think that coppermine celeron should work. Maybe you will have to set a little higher voltage than CPU's default (1.8V) on the slotket adapter, if the board doesn't support low voltages.

Not necessarily, I have a 440BX board (Lucky Star 6P2BX2) that runs Katmai but not Celeron because it can't go below 1.8v due to VRM issues. Some BX boards can take 100Mhz Celeron IIs, some can't.. I have an Abit BE6-II that will work with Coppermines that I am thinking of replacing the Lucky Strike with but reinstalling everything is too much of a hassle so I settled for a P3-450..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand, friend of mine had some BX Octek board long time ago, when upgraded to newer CPU, we took coppermine and slotket with the ability to change cpu voltage and forced the CPU to run at 1.8 volts. No problems since then.

Reply 31 of 62, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mv_cz wrote:

I understand, friend of mine had some BX Octek board long time ago, when upgraded to newer CPU, we took coppermine and slotket with the ability to change cpu voltage and forced the CPU to run at 1.8 volts. No problems since then.

Yeah apparently there are Slotkets with dedicated VRM but I have yet to see one..

Reply 33 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The board I have is a 440lx and I don't see it going below 2v.
But I have a good heat sink and a 80mm fan for the front of the case. So it should be fine.

I really don't think it will work with a 766mhz, if it does it will probably not work well and the rom chip is only 128k, I don't see there being room for a mico code update, the last rom/bios file is 128k as it is. But a 533mhz celly should work.

I ended up getting this slotket
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/r9MAAOSwcaFZD45Z/s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-07-14, 15:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 34 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Eventhough the bios is 128kB large that doesn't mean there is no room left for a 2kB microcode update. 533 MHz mendocino will work, that is for sure.

Reply 35 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mv_cz wrote:

Eventhough the bios is 128kB large that doesn't mean there is no room left for a 2kB microcode update. 533 MHz mendocino will work, that is for sure.

The bios chip is 128k too. but I know for a fact that the 533mhz Mendocino will work and is still a step up from the 400mhz one I have.

Reply 36 of 62, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
The board I have is a 440lx and I don't see it going below 2v. But I have a good heat sink and a 80mm fan for the front of the […]
Show full quote

The board I have is a 440lx and I don't see it going below 2v.
But I have a good heat sink and a 80mm fan for the front of the case. So it should be fine.

I really don't think it will work wit ha 766mhz, if it does it will probably not work well and the rom chip is only 128k, I don't see there being room for a mico code update, the last rom/bios file is 128k as it is. But a 533mhz celly should work.

I ended up getting this slotket
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/r9MAAOSwcaFZD45Z/s-l1600.jpg

An LX will only work with 66mhz fsb cpus so up to p2 333 or celeron 533 Im afraid.

Reply 37 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
appiah4 wrote:

An LX will only work with 66mhz fsb cpus so up to p2 333 or celeron 533 Im afraid.

It will work with 100fsb cpu, but they will run a 66fsb. I had a 450mhz Pii in the system, but it ran at 300mhz.

Also some Coppermine celeron were 66fsb.
www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron/TYPE-Cel ... mine).html
The 766mhz being the fastest of the 66mhz FSB CPU's .
00000172.jpg

Anyway I did some playing around with the system last night, and the ct2230 is not like any other sound blaster I ever had,It's actually not too bad. No buzzing, hissing, cracking, no tin can airy sound, no flat bass. I have had just about every SB upto the first gen FX-I and they all sound like crap, but this is a first for me.
Now don't get me wrong, its not grate or amazing, but far from bad or even close to sub par.

I also forgot how hot the first gen voodoo1's could get. good thing I got a 80mm intake fan and stick on heat sinks ordered.

Reply 38 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
mv_cz wrote:

The bios chip is 128k too. but I know for a fact that the 533mhz Mendocino will work and is still a step up from the 400mhz one I have.

I see, but even though the bios file is 128k large there might be some space left "inside" it - but probably you would see it only with amibcp or similar tool (with award's cbrom tool it is available via /D switch).

Reply 39 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mv_cz wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
mv_cz wrote:

I see, but even though the bios file is 128k large there might be some space left "inside" it - but probably you would see it only with amibcp or similar tool (with award's cbrom tool it is available via /D switch).

Maybe. I may be able to remove something too.