VOGONS

AT Slot 1 build.

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

In the late 90s early 00s a few manufacturers made upgrade kits, they came with a CPU, usually a slot1 or sk370 66fsb celeron and motherboard that could use EDO and SD ram and sometimes both slot 1 and sk370. They were ether AT or LPX form factor and meant to upgrade your old 386/486 system with the lest parts changed. In many cases you only had to swap the motherboard and CPU to get a much newer system. Some had on board sound and or video as well. But many of the boards had a sub grade build but mostly used good parts.

The PCChips M748 was a popular board in these kits but so was a few MatSonic boards.

This system will be built around a old AT Slot 1 motherboard.

Parts list.

Motherboard: MatSonic MS7016S. This is a 440LX board.
CPU: 400mhz celeron A
RAM: 2x 32mb pc100 SD
VIDEO: Matrox g400max&voodoo1
Sound. SD16 ct2230
Case: TT-780 AT full tower case
HDD: 2.5gb BigFoot
Other; IDE cd and PD-rom drive fdd. ATA 133 card and ATX From card.

The case is in the mail and should get here ether Tuesday or Wednesday.
I'll take photos on Monday and do some lite benching.

Reply 1 of 62, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That goofy all in one PC I bought has this board.

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=181441 Manual

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=32698 Flashing files, though I used uniflash
http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=148701 Actual BIOS link (sorry)

that was newer than what was on my board. Confirmed to boot Katmai PIII (at 2/3 the speed; 500 becomes 333) and work CORRECTLY. (The previos BIOS would boot them, but the cache wouldn't work and it couldn't actually identify the CPU)

You may need to flash the BIOS on another board, as I couldn't get mine to write it, though I didn't look too hard on the board to see if there was a flash block jumper or something.

The onboard soundchip does SoundBlaster, supposedly, though I don't know if you have the bracket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sound-Joystick-Cables … a0AAOSw1DtXGn84 Some may not be color coded, but I -think- they're standardized, as many AT boards had these.

Last edited by Moogle! on 2017-07-10, 03:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 62, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these abominations: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301367769532

I was lucky enough to get all the little cables, like shown in the auction.

TOTAL DOG of a system.

Do go on, I want to see it finished.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

No I don't have the cable for the sound card, but I'll just use the sb16 I have. I did find a atx form card for the system.
I'm going to (at some point) put a 433mhz slo1 or sk370 533mhz celeron in the system, but for now I'll focus on getting the system up and going.

Reply 6 of 62, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an AT Socket 370 board with a VIA Apollo chipset that I want to do a similar build with some day.. I'll use a P3-800, GeForce DDR and Voodoo 2 SLI though..

Will be watching this build with interest.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad to see this board in working shape, those pcchips and matsonic boards were unreliable even as new as I remember. And as an upgrade path, there were also some problems to fit it in smaller AT minitower cases, that were commonly used 😀 If you have a slotket adapter, it would be good to equip it with celeron 766 cpu.

Reply 10 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I thought Matsonic was of off brand of PC chips. Is that true?
I can see why they died, this board used nice parts, but not in a good way. Even the Clock Gen chip runs super hot.

As for a slotket I may get one. with ether a 766 or 533mhz Celeron. But I never liked the idea of using a slotket, but for this system it makes a lot of since.

Reply 11 of 62, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think so, Matsonic were branded with PCChips logo and sometimes only "PC100" logo in our area. Even some ECS boards were Matsonic or vice versa.

Reply 12 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

That was my thought.

I think I'll get a slotket down the road, a 766mhz celly is tempting, even more so as I have a g400 max. But a 533mhz seems more right for the system.
The case will probably get here Wednesday. I'll being modding the case a little to fit dual PSU and tonight I'll do a bit more benching and take some good photos of all the parts.

Reply 14 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I' got the case today, not to bad. I'd say for free handing it, I cut the second psu slot pretty well. But disappointed in the screw holes

Reply 16 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Thanks, I have a very bad habit of just going for it with case mods. As a result I'm really good at free handing.

I did remove the fan it's not enough to cool the cpu. I put a 50mm AAVID fan on it.
I may put the 40mm noctua on the g400 max

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-07-13, 13:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 62, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got some new parts to add to the parts list.
I got 3 round ide cable for .50$ a pice and one round fdd cable for the same price. The catch, they were UV orange and made by ACrayn. Not that ACrayn was bad or anything. But anywhere still stocking them will have them in clearance and UV organ is not in anymore.
I also got a few mosfet heat sinks and a chipset heat sink for the voodoo along with a 80mm fan for the case.