VOGONS

First post, by AllPlatformsGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, i'm a new user who joined just today. I was thinking of a gaming pc that can play all the Dos and Windows games from 1985 to 2017. I was considering using a Pentium 3 or 4 and just underclock it for the older games, but it wouldn't be enough for modern games. What do you suggest for specs of this machine? Please note that is not a build that i'm going to do, is just a curiosity.
P.S.: I heard from a comment on Youtube that Windows 98 works on Amd FX-6300. This is true?
P.P.S.: Sorry for any errors, i'm italian but i speak english quite well.

Reply 1 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can make Windows 98 run on pretty much anything... with lots of hackery.

That being said, the biggest problem is going to be that there are not going to be drivers for Windows 98 for the newer hardware. And you will also have issues with games that are speed sensitive.

The best you can do with a newer system that will run even new games well, is to use DOSBox for the old games but that would still leave you with some games that won't work such as older Windows games.

You could always run Windows 98 in a VM, but that ius also not going to cover everything or work with everything.

There really isn't a simple or even hard way to make a all-in-one system that will play everything properly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Short of using something like DOSBox, I don't believe such a machine exists.

- Win98 support is pretty much absent on chipsets newer than the Intel 865/875, VIA chips, Nforce 3, SiS, and ULI chips. This means your practical limit as far as sockets will be Socket 775 and AM2.
- 1985 means 286 levels of performance. Few chips can downclock this far, As far as newer chips, no way! A P4, for instance, will typically run at 486 speeds with caches disabled.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 9, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Your best bet would either be a slot 1 p3 upto 1 Ghz or a k6 in Ss7 system. For a slot 1 I would advice a 440bx and for k6 a MVP3 via chipset.

You can always go with newer but this limits your compabilty without alot of modding which could cause stability issues.
If you insist on that time span just use dosbox or vm's although I have no experience with games pre 386.

Reply 7 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AllPlatformsGamer wrote:

Well, probably with a P4 or core 2 duo you can make a pretty decent machine to play games from 1991 to 2007.

I'd say even after that, I play Tomb Raider from 2013 on Core 2 Quad.

Reply 8 of 9, by AllPlatformsGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CPU: Core 2 Quad
MB: Any 775 with drivers for Win98 and Xp is good
GPU: ? 8800GT ? (It has drivers for 98 or only Xp?)
Ram: 8 or 16 gb DDR2
O.S.: Windows 98, Windows XP x64, Windows 10 and Maybe DOS 8.

Probably this is a sort of ultimate gaming machine because it can play also modern games.

Reply 9 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just build a modern system that can play modern games. Then use DOSBox/ScummVM for DOS games, and buy the Win9x and XP games from GOG or Steam.

edit: that's the only way I know of that you're going to be able to play games from all those eras on one PC.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks