VOGONS

First post, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So while i was at tidying up the shack and finding better ways of storing my add-in cards, I thought of this thread as a funny idea. There's just something about a full length card that slides in to those plastic slits on the front side of the case.... So the rules goes as following, the cards you post must be of full length. I know, you feel sad for not having your AWE32 come along to play here, but neither could mine.

I'll start with some cards I have.

KwA2jz5l.jpg

Matrox MGA Impression VLB, fitted with the memory upgrade. Totals at 4 mb ram, and comes in handy for those hi-res desktop backgrounds of Charlize Theron.

jyj3QdLl.jpg

Waters .. something. I belive this thing is a controller specific to some medical equipment. At least that was what the e-waste container had in it when I snagged this one. Looks like a stand-alone perhaps, I have not been able to identify all those socketed chips because of the stickers on top. Produced 1994.

7uNLpkLl.jpg

British Telecommunications VC8000 with daughtercard, this was used for video conferencing over ISDN lines. A proper sandwich of a myriad of chips.

tt6rSZJl.jpg

Top-down view of the thing.

I could yank out the CGA card from my IBM 5155 too, but later perhaps! Hope to see some more! 😉

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 1 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let me have a look. The lighting will be not so good, but I'm busy in my attic anyway...hold on 😜

edit: Well, basically the pics were of piss poor quality due to bad lighting, so I'll either have to grab some old pics or make due with what I could produce 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 24, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you should've first posted this. Maybe someone doesnt know the term BungholioMarks 😁

I think your cards are still kind of short 😁

Attachments

• Bungholio.jpg
    Filename
    Bungholio.jpg
    File size
    309.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 24, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have the exact model number off the top of my head but it is a Texas Micro(bought out by Radisys around 1998) 286 Single Board Computer.

Attachments

• 20170706_183413.jpg
    Filename
    20170706_183413.jpg
    File size
    2.54 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 24, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeafPK wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/jyj3QdLl.jpg […]
Show full quote

jyj3QdLl.jpg

Waters .. something. I belive this thing is a controller specific to some medical equipment. At least that was what the e-waste container had in it when I snagged this one. Looks like a stand-alone perhaps, I have not been able to identify all those socketed chips because of the stickers on top. Produced 1994.

If we were playing a game of "what is rhis?" my guess would have been a 286 single board computer.

Reply 7 of 24, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robert B wrote:

I think you should've first posted this. Maybe someone doesnt know the term BungholioMarks 😁

I do now. That ad give me a giggle. There should be one for the video game that runs on it.

I think your cards are still kind of short 😁

I've seen some long ones back in the XT days.

gdjacobs wrote:
Nope, needs moar fins! https://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/news/2011-07-12/BR_Powercolor_hd6850_scs3.jpg […]
Show full quote
Errius wrote:

needs moar fans tho

Nope, needs moar fins!
BR_Powercolor_hd6850_scs3.jpg

I concur. I almost bought one of these but I'm glad I held off and found a single slot passive instead. It pays to do research. Those dual and triple slots video cards needed to stop. Finally nVidia started making cooler more efficient GPUs starting with Maxwell.

Reply 8 of 24, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ Robert B: You are right to pull that up, so everyone will get the reference 😀

@ i486_inside: I see there are similarities with your single board computer and the card I have, but I wonder why mine has no CMOS battery. It doesn't have any power connectors, but neither does yours; I guess there must have been a powered passive backplate for these boards. I wonder what happens if one of these are put into a working system...

@ Tetrium: You awake yet? I am kinda holding my breath here. I take it you prioritize your saturday evenings as well as I do 😉

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 9 of 24, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This YT open bench test has been posted on Vogons before, but it's pretty relevant, I think. 😉
Testing the BitchinFast 3D 2000!!!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 24, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeafPK wrote:

@ i486_inside: I see there are similarities with your single board computer and the card I have, but I wonder why mine has no CMOS battery. It doesn't have any power connectors, but neither does yours; I guess there must have been a powered passive backplate for these boards. I wonder what happens if one of these are put into a working system...

I have a passive back plane the 286 board has some sort of issue and I haven't taken the time to diagnose it, it has a Pheonix bios and the complex beep code is quite difficult to make out. The card came in a Texa Micro 2001 chasis I bought off of eBay and I have other working singleboard computers so I haven't had any reason to play with the 286, my guess it the ram might be bad on it but it has those older 30 pin slots that are hard to get the modules out of and the full length monster of card is kind of a pain to get in and out of the chassis

Reply 11 of 24, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i486_inside wrote:
DeafPK wrote:

http://imgur.com/jyj3QdL

If we were playing a game of "what is rhis?" my guess would have been a 286 single board computer.

At a glance, the big rectangular chip at top centre is a Motorola 68000. I could be wrong, though...

Reply 12 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a workstation videocard based on S3 Virge. It has a connector similar to SCSI and can drive up to 4 displays.

Attachments

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13 of 24, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
jheronimus wrote:

Here's a workstation videocard based on S3 Virge. It has a connector similar to SCSI and can drive up to 4 displays.

Ok now that's odd.

Reply 14 of 24, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you Matrox card come with full RAM or did you add it? Just wondering because I have the 2MB card and have chips to make it 4MB and was curious if you had to change a jumper or dip switch to get the extra RAM to work.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 15 of 24, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Used to have this several years ago.... Thoomas Conrad TC4035 token ring card.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    Filename
    s.jpg
    File size
    154.07 KiB
    Views
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16 of 24, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

Did you Matrox card come with full RAM or did you add it? Just wondering because I have the 2MB card and have chips to make it 4MB and was curious if you had to change a jumper or dip switch to get the extra RAM to work.

I did add it! There are 6 switches on the back of the card, somewhat accessible from the rear of the computer. They are numbered 1-6 from left to right and are either UP or DOWN. The factory setting is UDDUDD. The first three alters the memory mapping in the high memory area. I flicked some up and down until I got a picture. Switch number 4 turns off the VGA capability of the card, so you can use an other (better) for DOS games! The windows driver takes over so 2D acceleration is done on the MGA. Number 5 is to be left down. The sixth switch enables the extra ram. Make sure the chips are 256k, I found that most of the ones I have lying around are 512k and that caused a mayhem at great resolutions.

@ oeuvre - You used token ring? I have zero knowledge to other than Ethernet, too young, too dumb 😉

@ jheronimus - You deserve some bungholiomarks for that thingy. Wonder if it can still be useful?

Reply 17 of 24, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got two more as I was poking my nose in my Compaq Portable II.

peZPfXr.jpg

The top one is the EGA graphics card that also feeds the integrated monitor. I have little knowledge about it however. There is not a whole lot of components on this huge piece of PCB, quite funny considering a portable PC should be as compact as possible..

The lower one is the RAM expansion, the machine totals at 4 megabytes. I suppose there is 2 megs on the motherboard and 2 installed in this card. If so, there should be a way of installing another 2 megs.

Reply 18 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From top to bottom:
-A very similar S3 card as someone else already showed.
-The ActionMediaII
-A Tulip card of some sorts, it does have a bit of corrosion but it looked so cool I decided to keep it anyway

20170803_S3AM2T.jpg
Filename
20170803_S3AM2T.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license

Now this is probably a full-length card with the least amount of IC's 🤣

20170803_fancardII.jpg
Filename
20170803_fancardII.jpg
File size
708.93 KiB
Views
File license

I put a 5x86 next to it for refererence, it was near anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 24, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

.. but it looked so cool I decided to keep it anyway

That I could not have said better.

It appears to be a single boardie, even a DIN keyboard connector in the back. I wonder if the normal ISA dimensions will let you use it or the case would have to be modified. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do they read "80286-16"?

Also, that fancard should have had a switch on it to let you run the fans at 5 or 7 volts 😀