VOGONS

Pentium II Win'98SE Retro Rig.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Atreus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that most of them should fit. But to be sure, there's a need to check dimensions (datasheets) of DIMM SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3 etc.
I bought some cheap ones from China and in description was mentioned that they'll fit in DDR1 and DIMM SDRAM's.

Reply 22 of 25, by kb77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote:
Why do you want to have OPL3 at 0x398 ? You'll lose compatibility. Only for Adlib tracker 2 ? […]
Show full quote
kb77 wrote:

Arrgghhh.... Ymf724 + Als4000 is not the best combination in fact. I did not manage to relocate OPL3 from Ymf724 card to e.g. 0x398 (although this seemed to be possible). I did not find any option in the Als4000 drivers to do so either. OK, next attempt would be with the ALS007 ISA card - not only it has the physical OPL3 chip, it also has a better amplifier.

Why do you want to have OPL3 at 0x398 ? You'll lose compatibility. Only for Adlib tracker 2 ?

Speaking about ALS100 (I belive it is similiar to ALS007), only half of the outputs of OPL3 is connected to the ALS chip.
So we have only compatibility to OPL2 (9 channels). In this case sound output from AT2 is strange. However there is older OPL2 version of AT2. In this version everything sound like it should, except of course 18 channel modules. This is my observation.

Yes, I am mostly interested in the OPL sound. And the info about ALS100 not supporting all the OPL channels surprises me. I need to check this with the good old ALS007 (the card I have is equipped with some YMF262 clone, but now that I have few dozens of genuine YMF-s I can upgrade all these cards I have).

Reply 23 of 25, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kb77 wrote:

Yes, I am mostly interested in the OPL sound. And the info about ALS100 not supporting all the OPL channels surprises me. I need to check this with the good old ALS007 (the card I have is equipped with some YMF262 clone, but now that I have few dozens of genuine YMF-s I can upgrade all these cards I have).

We're little bit off topic, but... Long story short:
I've bought ALS100 based card because it had external OPL3 clone, not their custom synthesizer.
The card played PCM just fine (although, a little too quiet), but FM was a complete scratch and hiss.
I suspected broken OPL3 clone. No, it was broken 74LS245 - which I've changed to 74HCT245...
However, because I had genuine YMF262 I decided to replace it. And what turned out ?
There is no audible difference between the two ! Well, at least for me.
Than I started to analyze schematics of the card, and figured out that only half of the outputs are connected to ALS100 chip.
I may start separate thread about this card.

Also my last purchase - SB Vibra 16s (CT2800) with real OPL3, behaves the same - only OPL2, not OPL3.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 25 of 25, by sporadicMotion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great build! Love it so far!

HOWEVER, please do not clean your electronics in soapy water. Most people know what it's like to rinse soap from their hands or even in the shower. The residue takes a little effort to completely remove. Soap may not be a great conductor but it is a conductor none the less. Based on how you cleaned that board, it really wouldn't surprise me if something has been damaged due to electricity being able to cross pins. I suspect there's still soap residue in those hard to reach places - like under and in the AGP slot.

Try using a bottle of 99% alcohol and a good clean toothbrush to clean around the sockets, north and south bridge. You might find it works again but there could also potentially be permanent damage.