Post modern Retro FX-60 build Log

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
nd22 wrote:

Hello Jade Falcon! I am also interested in building a Vista machine and I mostly succeeded in getting the components and assembling the machine for testing! It is based around Abit AW9D-MAX motherboard! Vista is such a good operating system with the right hardware; it's a shame it was released before it was truly ready!
PS: maybe if you are interested i can post the complete specs for the machine and my experience!

Make your own thread for that for posting your system 😊

And I don't think vista was released early, to many crappy sub par OEM vista ready systems that were more fit for xp that killed it.
If anything the stated system requirements were way to low. Next to 2K vista is my first pick for a windows OS

Reply 22 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Stipping a rad housing, I hit it with 60 grit tonight and rebrush it with scotch bright pads.
I should get a good bet of the parts tonight. I'll start modding the parts I get. I'll lap the cpu, mod the ram fan for more CFM and prep it for paint. The ram fan is black and I want it to blind with the silver case.

Reply 23 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK Update guys.
I should get the NOS motherboard tonight.
So that leaves me with the case, and video cards I'm waiting on. No clue when I'll get the case its coming from Germany and I still have yet to by the LCS and PSU. The 2 6990 should get here Friday or Saturday. I still need to buy 2 more 300gb WD raptors too.

I'll finish refinishing the rad hosing tonight. Once back together I'll know how big of a 360mm rad can fit in it.

Reply 24 of 135, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2 times the 6990 + a 3GHz Yorkfield-12M
=
2 x 375W + 95W (TDP) = 845W

Not bad... 😊 (but not for everyone...)

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 25 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
melbar wrote:
2 times the 6990 + a 3GHz Yorkfield-12M = 2 x 375W + 95W (TDP) = 845W […]
Show full quote

2 times the 6990 + a 3GHz Yorkfield-12M
=
2 x 375W + 95W (TDP) = 845W

Not bad... 😊 (but not for everyone...)

The 6990s I have are the faster 880mhz version that pull 450w apiece. The q9650 I got is an ES cpu and I was told it was one of the rarer unlocked versions. If not I'll be using a qx9650.
Also the qx9650 and pull upto 150w @ stock speeds. So yeah. it will be a real heater.
with overclocking the 6990 could pull 1kw alone. 😲

I'm sure glad my home has a over rated 15amp circuit. Aside form some of the barkers everything is setup for 20 amp's.
I'd have to check my computer room breaker, can't recall if its a 15 or 20amp. if its 15amp it will be blowing a lot.
With a 19" crt and tube amp with a PC that could pull up to 1500-1600w's Yeah, No need for heat in the winter. Just fire up F@H on the system.

Reply 27 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Bosrd is prepared for use. Ram fan is installed. Heatpipe mod done. And stick on heatsinks installed.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-08-31, 13:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 135, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This looks like a pretty mental project. Going to be interesting to see how it ends up.
It's interesting seeing other people's perspective of what is "retro" or "vintage" hardware.
There is also something quite satisfying about finally being able to own a system that would have been out of reach back in the days.
Keep up the good work 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 29 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Thanks. I don't really call it retro, more out dated. The 6990 are still more then useable today and 8gb of ram is more then what some people need. Heck a q2 is more then usable for modern stuff.
to me its border lined. Still more then usable, rather old in tech terms and not the best for gaming with is really what I think of with high end 775 setup. I mean the c2 is over 10 years old now.

EDIT:
I also will be making a back plate for the motherboard heatsinks so I can tighten the bolts a little more.
They will be 20ga sheet metal that's painted what ever color of high temp paint I have on hand.

EDIT:
Should get the 6990's and q9650ES today. the blocks for the 6990's will need abit of cleaning and a re TIM.
Still on the look out for a good deal on a 1500w or 1600w psu.

Reply 30 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got the 6990s today and im not pleased. The plating on the blocks is trash.
Now do I return the blocks or remove all the plateing?

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-23, 19:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Holy triple post batman. Maybe i sould go looking for the edit button ?

Anyway here are some photos of the blocks.
After factering the cost of new blocks vs stripping the nickel and buying new o-rings ill be money ahead to buy new blocks.

Reply 32 of 135, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ouch! They look quite corroded. 🙁
Hope you find a solution.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 33 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
LunarG wrote:

Ouch! They look quite corroded. 🙁
Hope you find a solution.

Most of that is not corrosion. The nickel plating is coming off. Ill ether need to replace them or stip the nickel off.
Given that stipping will require stuff like Hydrochloric acid ill just by new ones. I guess There are other ways, but it would be time consuming or too costly.

Edit: took one of tge blocks a part, the nickel os so bad that it will come off with nothing but a light scuffing! Yay. Will post pictures after the nickel is gone!

Reply 35 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
vtheofilis wrote:

I remember that EK had an issue with some nickel blocks, due to the plating process a while ago. Your blocks must be part of those.

Yep, that and by the looks if the blocks the seller used distilled water with mixed metals. Likely copper and brass.

Anyway one block is done. Most if the nickel came off without a fight. Whats left would not even come off with elbow grease and 40 grit without spending all day on it.
I also atched a before photo. Ill need new o-rings too.

Reply 37 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

If the frist owner used the right coolant and setup it would have been far less of a problem. But yeah EK has a history of bad quality control. Im just removing what comes into contact with the water. There was also alot of calcium on the acrylic top too.

Reply 38 of 135, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like they'll clean up nicely. I really hope the nickel on my EK waterblocks will never come off. I'm using an all-copper loop with nickel plated CPU and GPU blocks and all components from EK, so hopefully there should be little, if any, risk of complications.

Reply 39 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Depending on your coolant the nickel blocks should be fine. However the copper blocks may corrode badly. Nothing a little clr and elbow grace cant fix. Any mix of nickel blocks and coper will do thst.
If your useing a EK coolent or distilled/de ionized water with an anti corrosion additive and flush regally you should be ok.

My understanding of the problem is the EK used the worng plating method. Adding anything to the loop that can make your coolant electrolytic such as silver or coper sulfate will make the blocks flake. Mixing brass and coper or aluminum will also become a problem.

The second block was heavily corroded but the nickel is mostly stuck to the block. Ill use s solf buffing weal on my drimal before putting them back together.