VOGONS

Post modern Retro FX-60 build Log

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Update guys. I bought some wire brushes for my dremel and will remove every last bit of nickel that comes in contact with water from the blocks.
Also the thermaltake armor case is now in the states. 😊

Reply 41 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Update. I have one block done, just need to flush and leak test it. The second block is being a bugger. The Nickie will not come off.
I also find a psu. Its not quite what I wanted. But a enermax 1600w psu is probably the best 1600w psu for the money. I really wanted a psu with a power switch.

Reply 42 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Onver a week has gone by and the tracking hasn't updated for the case.
Im beginning to wonder if its been lost in the mail. No way a shipment from Germany should take 3 weeks.
Apparently the last update was when it left Germany. I was told by the seller that its in the usa. But ill give it one more week before I guve up on it.

I can mod my old serer case to fit a full blown liquid cooling system. But it would look like crap with a side window. So ill lickly be case shopping again if it doesn't show up. Im trying to find a older silver case that can fit a 360mm worth if rad space without mods.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-25, 17:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 43 of 135, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
Onver a week has gone by and the tracking hasn't updated for the case. Im beganingnot wonder if its been lost in the mail. No wa […]
Show full quote

Onver a week has gone by and the tracking hasn't updated for the case.
Im beganingnot wonder if its been lost in the mail. No way a shipment from Germany should take 3 weeks.
Apparently the last update was when it left Germany. I was told by the seller that its in the usa. But ill give it one more week before I guve up in it.

I can mod my ild serer case to fit a full blown liquid cooling system. But itnwould look like crap with a side window. So ill lickly be case shopping again if it doesn't show up. Im trying to find a older silver case that can fit a 360mm worth if rad space without mods.

That sucks.

I had a Lian Li PC60 go missing once. Showed up at local depot and just never showed up beyond that. Courier support told me they can't find it.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone thought they got themselves a nice free PC based on the box it came in. Jokes on them, was just an old case.

Personal favourite case from the era would be the Silverstone TJ07. Heaps of Radiator & fan support, comes in silver or black, aluminium construction and looks absolutely gorgeous. I've seen 480 radiators in the bottom, plus more at the front and even more if you mod the top. They can be a bit hard to find though.

Reply 44 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well it was a used case. So I cant see how the box would give it away as being a pc.
But its been 11 days since the tracking said anything. Ill give it until the end if the week and im case shopping again. The last update is when it left Germany, so maybe someone happened to the tracking barcode.

Edit
Infact I was eyeballing a Silverstone TJ07. But the price keeps me away.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-15, 02:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 45 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Update.

Still nothing on the tracking. I ended up filling a INR case. I realy hate doing that as I really wanted the case.
But its been close to two weeks since the last update on the tracking.
And about 3 weeks since it was shipped. I was told it would take 1-2 weeks to arive and that it was state side on the second by the seller. But the tracking says its still in Germany. That and it looks like the seller split. 😠

I also bought a cpu water block today. Ended up going with the xspc raystorm. Its not quite vista era, a xspc rasa or danger den block would have been more era correct. But I got a good deal.

Edit: I think ill buy a Silverstone TJ07 on my next pay check.
I hate spending the money and really waned a armor or kandalf case, but there are not the many silver cases that fit the build.

Edit:
Ok. Case is still MIA. So i did some looking and ill be going with the TJ07. Ill be ordering one the fallowing week end if the thermal take case still does not arrive.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-23, 14:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46 of 135, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

I was just about the order a tj07, but then I saw an email in my inbox. The tracking just updated on the armor case. The package is now in the usa. New Jersey to be exact!
I may get lucky and receive the case. Or a empty box.

Finally some good news on that, great! What an odyssey this case was on someone might wonder in retrospect... Hopefully it now arrives in undamaged state.

END OF LINE.

Reply 48 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK, some new plans. If there is the room inside the case I'm likely going to put a 120mm rad in the back, a 360mm rad in the bottom and a 240mm in the top.
I know a 240 can fit up top, I done it before with a armor case, and 3 120mm fans will fit in the bottom. But I'm not sure if a 360mm rad and fans will fit in the bottom.
I used to mod kandalf and armor case's a lot and know my way around them, but I never put a 360mm in the bottom. I done just about everything else. I know a rear 120mm will fit out of the box and top 240mm will fit without much work. the 360mm will be a tight fit, but I think I can pull it off.

If I can't fit a 360mm rad in the bottom of the case I'll ether use the kandalf rad housing or mount something like a 1080mm on the side of the case. Yes 1080mm that's 3 360mm rads.

I think I'll go with UV orange tubing and use uv green rad grills with UV red sata cables.

EDIT: The case is in transit to my home town. 😀

Reply 50 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
x0zm_ wrote:

Yeah, orange tubing is the way to go for sure.

I agree. but If I ever find a dfi x58 board I don't think orange tubing will go well with a UV green board.
Maybe I can find a DK p55 board or DK x48 board. I did like the dfi DK boards better.

Reply 51 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

More good news, the case or what's left of it is at my local PO 😀 I hope I receive it undamaged without any missing parts.
I bet with its size it was probably held up in customs, but if that was the case wouldn't I been informed?

Reply 52 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I received the case today!
And just my luck its the much rarer aluminum version! And it has the front 240mm rad housing! But its missing the rear hdd cage. I was told it would cone with the rear hdd cage. 😒 I was banking in using it.

But I can probably make one out of another hdd cage. Its just a triple hdd cage with 2 holes drilled it in.

Edit.
Damaged report:
One small crack in the plastic front panel. Its hardly seeable and covered up by the armor plates.
250mm side fan is on its way out. I did not want to use it anyway.

Will post photos soon!

Reply 54 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
x0zm_ wrote:

Great to hear it arrived (mostly) safely!

Yes, the damage is not a problem at all. you have to go looking for it to see it.
I started the modding on the case, I removed the trim off the top of the case and started to see what all rads I can fit in the case.
I think I'll put a 240mm up top a 120mm in the back, a 360 in the bottom and a 240mm in the front.

How ever I did find that its missing the ATX psu back plate. 😵 but alot of bigger cases use them so finding one would not be a big deal.and I could make one too.

Reply 55 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok, I made up my mind on the water cooling setup.
Ill use a 240mm in the front, 120mm in the back and up top.

If I put a 240mm up top ill have to lose my ls120 drive. And putting a 360mm in the bottom will fit, but be a nightmare with geting the tubing routed.
A good 240 and two 120mm sould do the job for the most part. If not i can always put a 360mm in the bottom or use the external rad housing.

EDIT: my next step will be buying the water cooling parts, finding two more 300gb raptors and painting the LS drive silver.
After that I'll finish getting the rest of the nickle off the second gpu block and lap the cpu.

I also made up my mind on the lighting, I'll go with 4 UV CCFL lights, 2 12 inch and 2 4 inch.
The two 12in UV CCFL lights will be at the top and bottom of the case where the the 4in will be on the back and the other 4in will be between the psu and motherboard.

Reply 56 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Update. I got all the water cooling parts ordered.

Also I choose to go with 6 300gb raptors in raid 0 and use a 120gb pcie ocz sdd for the os.
That's close to 2tb of storage. Ill never come close to using that.
It will be neat to see how 6 raptors in raid 0 stack up to a pcie ssd.

EDIT:
OP updated, I'll not be modding the case, so I removed the case mods post and I will not be using the front rad housing ether.
Also the side window glass was delivered, I did not open it yet. but I hope its OK. The windows on the the case I bought had a 250mm fan on the side and I did not like that.

Reply 57 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Last update before I get the water cooling parts! This is were the cool stuff start! 😎

I'll should get the water cooling parts this Thursday. pcie ssd card will arrive on Wednesday.

So to recap.
I'll get the last of the parts needed to get the system running this week.
I'll need to lap the cpu and water block.
I'll need to find out what I'm doing for a side panel window. The silver one has a cut out for a 250mm fan and the steal one is back, both use slightly different windows.
I'll need to buy some distilled water.
I'll need to flush the old blocks to be safe. a mix if clr or citric acid and distilled water ran through the system will do the trick.
I'll still need to finished cleaning up the second 6990 block and put it back together.

Reply 58 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I received all the bits today.
Lapped the heatsink and cpu. Not the best lap job, but the heatsink was realy bad off.
The lines on the cpu are from not cleaning it well enough. I also got the top 120m rad and pump mounted in the case with the tubing ran for the pump, rad and cpu block.
I'll get the rear 120mm in tonight then clean up the second 6990's block and install the rest of the loop.

On a funny side note, I got a XSPC D5 bay res pump and it came with a silver face plate, but the Allen wrench it came with to change it was not the right size 😵