VOGONS

Post modern Retro FX-60 build Log

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK, so I should have the system to a point were I can fill it up with water tomorrow or the day after.
I have the second 6990s ready to go and all the tubing ran.

I have some additives that should brake up any of the remanding nickle I could not remove

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-10-09, 03:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 61 of 135, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks great!

Certainly very of-era, and the tubing/IDE/SATA orange matches the board well. Love that the bottom of the chassis is polished, it'll look awesome with all those reflections when everything is turned on and running.

Reply 62 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
x0zm_ wrote:

Looks great!

Certainly very of-era, and the tubing/IDE/SATA orange matches the board well. Love that the bottom of the chassis is polished, it'll look awesome with all those reflections when everything is turned on and running.

Thanks!
The bottom it just bare aluminum, not really polished, but it is shiny.

I still have a few parts I'm waiting on, like the sata power cables and some 4" UV ccfl's and a few other smalls.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-10-09, 05:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got good news, grate news and even better news.

The good news is that the water cooling system is up and running. The grate news is that there are no leaks. The beeter news is that the 120gb pcie raid card I got was a dual 120gb raid card!

It will not be long until the system is done.
Right now im learing the system heat up so that I can remove tge kinks in the tubing.

Reply 67 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well i got bad news. The ocz pcie ssd I got was a dud. At frist it was working but things started to get wonky. Now only one of the two ssd's on the card works.

Well that sucks.

But to my original plan of just useimg the raptors.

Reply 68 of 135, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Well i got bad news. The ocz pcie ssd I got was a dud. At frist it was working but things started to get wonky. Now only one of the two ssd's on the card works.

Well that sucks.

Damn, was going so smoothly too 🙁

Oh still, still great temps and a kickass Vista system! 😎

Reply 69 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
x0zm_ wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Well that sucks.

Damn, was going so smoothly too 🙁

Oh still, still great temps and a kickass Vista system! 😎

Well the pcie ssd was kind of a last minute addition. I wanted 8 raptors to begin with. I'll need to find a rear hdd cage for the case to use 8 of them, that or make one.

Also with both 6900's under a load the cpu goes from low 30's to low 40s under a load. the 6990s are rather hot cards. I think I'll get a second fan for the rear rad. Also I'll need to find a lower profile vga to Dvi thingy. The case is a bit too long for my desk and the DVI to VGA adapter is far too long and the case sticks out to far.

EDIT:
On a side note, the sound card I got for the system is firckin amazing. Its a Prodigy HD2 Advance witch is a via envy card. Now I had a lot of high end sound cards and DAC's. but this thing not only takes the cakes it bakes it and eats it too.

Link to card http://audiotrack.co.kr/en/internal/231

Reply 70 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

YAAA! I'm posting from the system! well from a live cd 😵
still waiting on the sata power cables.

EDIT:
even under *inux the sound card rocks.

Reply 71 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

This is just insane. No OC and when I put the system under a load all at once my lights in the house flicker. 🤣
I'm just doing some light web stuff and the room my pc is in is over 90f with the door shut. I don't even have the hdd's plugged in.
And I thought my system with the 285 and dual 5080 xeon's was bad.

Reply 72 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Update:
I forgot how tricky dfi 775 boards can be. The default voltages were a tick to low for the system to run stable.
And its not like just cpu, ram and NB voltages. Dfi boards let you set everything.

I also have the rest of the parts needed to complete the system ordered.

I'll be draining the treated water and flushing the system tonight. the last of the nickel should be gone by now given the chems I put in the loop. I'll be able to put in distilled water with some anti microbe.

Reply 74 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

All I have let to do is to get the sata power cables.

There is still alot of small things ill do, like change cable ends to uv ends.

The photo dose it little justice. This system look amazing.

Reply 75 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Some updates.

I find out what was locking the system up. the chipset was overheating. I now have a 40mm fan on the x38 chip set. a qx9650 and 8gb of 1066ram is alot for a x38 chipset.

I also put a second fan on the rear 120mm rad and 2 40mm fans between the 6990's with should help cool the SB and back side of the second 6990.
I should get the sata power cable on Monday.

Reply 76 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I started to OC the system today.

i realy was not trying or anything. but i hit 4.25ghz stable really fast. I'm hoping to hit 4.6ghz stable, but saidly the ram did not want to go over 1066mhz.

Reply 77 of 135, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did 4,28GHz on QX9770 using Air cooler (9.5 x 450MHz) 😀

You will need more volts on X38 chipset to get stable 8GB 1066MHz+ (if it's possible).
With possible VTT (FSB Termination) increase as well.

Unlocked multiplier works ?

157143230295.png

Reply 78 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
agent_x007 wrote:
I did 4,28GHz on QX9770 using Air cooler (9.5 x 450MHz) :) […]
Show full quote

I did 4,28GHz on QX9770 using Air cooler (9.5 x 450MHz) 😀

You will need more volts on X38 chipset to get stable 8GB 1066MHz+ (if it's possible).
With possible VTT (FSB Termination) increase as well.

Unlocked multiplier works ?

yes unlocked multi works. I have the cpu at 10X425 and the ram is at 1065mhz
well its the ram. I tryed one stick and it just did not want to do anything over 1066 even 1075mhg will not work. uping the VTT and NB volts did not help. setting back the timming did not help nore did setting the ram volts to 2.2v (2.1v stock). I have a stick of 1200mhz ram too and it ran at 1200mhz fine in the system.
Its just not the best ram.

I'm hopeing the board's vrm can take the qx9650 at 4.6ghz. but I may just have to pick up a qx9770, I know I'll find a x48 DFI DK board some day and If I did I want to use a qx9770 with it.

I also thought about a 80mm rad up by the psu. but I think Id be better off with the 92mm fan that up there.

Reply 79 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So I did my first bench on the system 😀
I ran HD tune wile installing some apps and downloading/installing some drivers.

Who needs an ssd when you have 6 drives in raid 0 ?
I'll re run the test once I get the system done.