Post modern Retro FX-60 build Log

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
x0zm_ wrote:

Cool projects are never allowed to run smoothly and all eBay sellers are total jerks, apparently.

Been my experience lately too.

Going to get your money back at least?

I opened a return. I have not heard back from the seller yet.

EDIT:
I'm a eBay seller....

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-10-26, 04:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 103 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Should get the other 4890 today. I sure hope its not a dud.
If its a dud I'm really going to get mad. So mad I may just go out and buy a second 6990 and only return the dead 6990 without the block. 🤣
I like the 6990 and its such a big card and one alone is a lot of heat being dumped on the hdd's in the system from the front mounted rad.

On a side note the guy that sold me the two 6990's is being a deal dick. I ended up having to file a case on PayPal and he went and told PayPal that the two cards were sold to me as being broken. 😒
So if he sold me two broken cards why dose the one work?

I'm just not having any luck these days, maybe its all the bad karma from steeling stuff in fallout?

Reply 104 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I just cant get anything right. The second 4890 has a damaged pcb.
Scuff and a cut trace. Not even going to bother testing it. 😒
But the seller is atlest making things right

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-10-27, 00:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 105 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Holy quad post batman.

So I got out my Abit ax78 to test the 4890 and it did not blow up! Seams to be ok so I put it in the core2 system.
Funny thing is that the 4890 runs better then the 6990 in the system. 🤣 far more stable FPS in fallout NV and a few other newer games. No odd drops in the FPS in newer games. the 6990 must have been really held back by the cpu or something,
Very odd.

Reply 106 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK so some change of plans.
Since I'm going all 2008 on the build with the 4890's I chose to change the motherboard as well. Basically everything in the system is from 2008 or older except the PSU and cpu block.

I got a P5E64 WS EVOLUTION and some ddr3 ram. For the most part everything else will be the same still.
I may get a qx9770 as well. I'll also be going uv blue or green and not all UV orange with the new board.

Reply 108 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I thought x58 was 2009? Err looks like very late 08.
Well I rather keep it 775. Far funner platform. and if I had a x58 system I'd just end up getting newer parts all around. I always wanted a top end best of everything 775 system back in the day anyway. Now I have the money for that.

Looking at the prices I may be money ahead to just to get rid of the blue heatsinks and stick with UV Orange. But I do like the idea of going crazy with all sorts of UV colors. Blue, green, yellow and so on. But I think I just keep in UV orange and go aftermarket heat sink on the board or find the older x38 P5E64 copper heat sinks for the board.

EDIT:
After giving it much thought I will stay with UV orange.
I know UV blue and Green was a big thing back in the day, but I just like the darker colors. And with the over clocking I'll be doing having aftermarket heat sink will be a nice thing. Now do I water cool the board or keep it air cooled?

EDIT:2
I think I'll go air for the mosfets and SB and go water for the NB. I don't have room for a mostfet block on the rear VRM (one next to the ATX plan) as the rear rad and fans gets in the way.

I'll also be putting a second 80mm fan up top.
So after this change of plans the I'm calling it quits on buying anything new. Other then a qx9770 tat I'll get down the road.

EDIT:
But I still like the idea of going crazy with all sorts of UV colors and over driven CCFL and everything.

Reply 109 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK, an update. I made my last order for parts, not counting the q9770 I want to get. Seems that most want 200$ or more for them right now and I'm not spending that for a extra 200mhz.

I chose to not water cool the board but to get all UV green and blue parts. 😎 That's far more era correct.

EDIT:
Updated the OP.

Reply 110 of 135, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

I guess we are both jerks? You weren't born a poor black child down in Mississippi by chance?

Nope 🙁

Jade Falcon wrote:

OK, an update. I made my last order for parts, not counting the q9770 I want to get. Seems that most want 200$ or more for them right now and I'm not spending that for a extra 200mhz.

I chose to not water cool the board but to get all UV green and blue parts. 😎 That's far more era correct.

Welcome to the UV Green/Blue club, it's a glorious place to be! 😁

And yeah, QX9770+ pricing is insane. Even places where I normally find old hardware at great prices they are still $175 or higher and it seems (at least from Australia) most of the sellers are just overcharging sellers from China. It's one of the things preventing me from doing my high end 775 build. Pricing is ridiculous on some parts still. Hopefully one pops up at a good price so the system can be the best it can be 😎 😎

Reply 111 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

True that on the qx9770 prices. Its just not worth it at anything over 100$ Even then that's a crazy price.
I'll keep an eye out.

I even got over driven UV Blue CCFL from A.C. Ryan. I thought about sleeving all the cables and going with UV ends, but I never been good at removing ATX pins.
I'll have 2 12" UV lamps and two 8" over driven blue UV lamps. I'll have a power switch on the blue lamps so I can shut them on and off.

I should get the 4890's today. I'm really hoping these two work. If I get them and they work I'll get the blocks on them and post photos.

Reply 112 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok so the last owner of the two 4890 had a grate idea of puting Tim between the thermal pads and ram. 🤣
What a mess to clean up.

Reply 113 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Cant say i like the blocks on the 4890s, they arnt much better then air. But they are meant for the 4870 and arnt a very good block to begin with. Ill keep an eye out for something better. They do look nice.

Reply 114 of 135, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Cant say i like the blocks on the 4890s, they arnt much better then air. But they are meant for the 4870 and arnt a very good block to begin with. Ill keep an eye out for something better. They do look nice.

The colour scheme looks really nice.

In terms of blocks, I wonder if the Bykski AMD block would be any better?

c9pJxjQ.png

I have no idea what the microfin and flow structure is like inside the Bitspower block, but these might prove to be better. I've had no issues with Bykski blocks on more modern cards. I'm sure it would be fairly easy to source in the US or on Aliexpress.

Not sure if it's worth the expense if there's no guarantee of better performance though. Just though I'd throw it out there anyway.

Reply 115 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The blocks i have are just a flat sheet of nickel platted copper. The channels on the the plastic top.

I could etch up the surface abit, cant see that helping much, but maybe it will. But I do know preformace pcs has heat killer blocks. But for like 100$ For just one. Until they come down on that price or i find another full cover block I think ill stick with what i have.

If i have more case air flow i'd get a core only block with mosfet and ram sinks.
Maybe I could go for a hybrid setup. Water cooled core and put a fan on the fets?
But I rather not spend the money. If the p5e64 doesn't show up (looks that way) Ill look into getting better blocks or something. But until then im keeping the system the way it is.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-12, 04:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 116 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Since I'm still waiting on the asus p5e64 evolution I chose to hold off on over clocking the cpu, but the 4890's are far game.

First I need to get an idea of how hot the cards get. Since I have a rad between the cpu and the two cards the heat from the cpu should not be a problem all that much.

My pick of testing, running furmark, with and without the site pale for kicks.
As we can see without the side panel the cards get rather hot. Even with the pump and fans going full blast.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-12, 08:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 118 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok with stock voltage I have the cards at 900core and 1ghz memory. Given how hot the cards run I don't want to push them anymore.
They run so hot I can't even touch the pcb's. I guess that's was happens when a block is just a flat sheet. 😵

However I do have a game plan on the temps.
If the p5e64 arrives I'll have to take the system apart. I'll sand down the mounting screws a little witch will allow the block to mount closer to the card and tighter. I'll get the best thermal pads I can find for the ram/fets and use coollabs liquid pro for the core. I'll also scuff up the inside of the block, that will increase surface area in the block. If the p5e64 evolution does not show up and I get a refund I'll find better blocks. the board was shipped on the 31fst and the last tracking update was on the 5th. So its not looking good for it. I'll give it another two weeks.

EDIT:
I think I'll cut out the honey comb grill in the case and use fan grills too. This will help a little with temps.

EDIT:
After some more testing I found that the mofets on the cards are not being cooled all to well. The fets are cooled by a block of cast aluminum, that is butted up to the block. I think I put some stick on heat sinks on it. The back of the card gets really hot as the fets are running very hot and it could be making the core and vram running hot too.

EDIT:
I chose not to get a qx9770 for the system seeing as so many want far too much for them. Anyway back in the day just about no one got a qx9770.
In its place I got 2 tubes of cool labs liquid ultra better thermal pads for the 4890's and some fan gaskets/grills. I also got some stick on heat sinks to attach to the dumb cast aluminum VRM cooler on the 4890's blocks.

Now I'm done buying anything. I spent well more then what I should have on the system. I don't even want to know the finale bill. Well half of what I spent came from selling my dual 1366 system. So its not all that bad, well it kind of is. I sold a 780ti for 2 4890's, two 3.6ghz xeons for a qx9650 and a top end Asus server board for a mid range DFI board, and worse of all I sold 6 ssd for 6 hdds. 😈
I do know I like the system far more. So much fun to mess with

Reply 119 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ran some base line benches.
http://url.hwbot.org/2zEpfiH

Let me know if the link does not work.

EDIT:
its looking bad for the p5e64. It may be lost in the mail. 😢