Project perfection. Vista era system, because why not.

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Re: Project perfection. Vista era system, because why not.

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-05 @ 20:12

OK, an update. I made my last order for parts, not counting the q9770 I want to get. Seems that most want 200$ or more for them right now and I'm not spending that for a extra 200mhz.

I chose to not water cool the board but to get all UV green and blue parts. :cool: That's far more era correct.

EDIT:
Updated the OP.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-11-06 @ 10:58

Jade Falcon wrote:I guess we are both jerks? You weren't born a poor black child down in Mississippi by chance?

Nope :(

Jade Falcon wrote:OK, an update. I made my last order for parts, not counting the q9770 I want to get. Seems that most want 200$ or more for them right now and I'm not spending that for a extra 200mhz.

I chose to not water cool the board but to get all UV green and blue parts. :cool: That's far more era correct.

Welcome to the UV Green/Blue club, it's a glorious place to be! :-D

And yeah, QX9770+ pricing is insane. Even places where I normally find old hardware at great prices they are still $175 or higher and it seems (at least from Australia) most of the sellers are just overcharging sellers from China. It's one of the things preventing me from doing my high end 775 build. Pricing is ridiculous on some parts still. Hopefully one pops up at a good price so the system can be the best it can be :cool: :cool:
x0zm_

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-06 @ 16:22

True that on the qx9770 prices. Its just not worth it at anything over 100$ Even then that's a crazy price.
I'll keep an eye out.

I even got over driven UV Blue CCFL from A.C. Ryan. I thought about sleeving all the cables and going with UV ends, but I never been good at removing ATX pins.
I'll have 2 12" UV lamps and two 8" over driven blue UV lamps. I'll have a power switch on the blue lamps so I can shut them on and off.

I should get the 4890's today. I'm really hoping these two work. If I get them and they work I'll get the blocks on them and post photos.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-06 @ 22:38

Ok so the last owner of the two 4890 had a grate idea of puting Tim between the thermal pads and ram. :lol:
What a mess to clean up.
Attachments
IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-11 @ 06:51

Cant say i like the blocks on the 4890s, they arnt much better then air. But they are meant for the 4870 and arnt a very good block to begin with. Ill keep an eye out for something better. They do look nice.
Attachments
IMG_3599.JPG
IMG_3598.JPG
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3590.JPG
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-11-11 @ 07:43

Jade Falcon wrote:Cant say i like the blocks on the 4890s, they arnt much better then air. But they are meant for the 4870 and arnt a very good block to begin with. Ill keep an eye out for something better. They do look nice.

The colour scheme looks really nice.

In terms of blocks, I wonder if the Bykski AMD block would be any better?

I have no idea what the microfin and flow structure is like inside the Bitspower block, but these might prove to be better. I've had no issues with Bykski blocks on more modern cards. I'm sure it would be fairly easy to source in the US or on Aliexpress.

Not sure if it's worth the expense if there's no guarantee of better performance though. Just though I'd throw it out there anyway.
x0zm_

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-11 @ 08:06

The blocks i have are just a flat sheet of nickel platted copper. The channels on the the plastic top.

I could etch up the surface abit, cant see that helping much, but maybe it will. But I do know preformace pcs has heat killer blocks. But for like 100$ For just one. Until they come down on that price or i find another full cover block I think ill stick with what i have.

If i have more case air flow i'd get a core only block with mosfet and ram sinks.
Maybe I could go for a hybrid setup. Water cooled core and put a fan on the fets?
But I rather not spend the money. If the p5e64 doesn't show up (looks that way) Ill look into getting better blocks or something. But until then im keeping the system the way it is.
Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-12 @ 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-11 @ 18:03

Since I'm still waiting on the asus p5e64 evolution I chose to hold off on over clocking the cpu, but the 4890's are far game.

First I need to get an idea of how hot the cards get. Since I have a rad between the cpu and the two cards the heat from the cpu should not be a problem all that much.

My pick of testing, running furmark, with and without the site pale for kicks.
As we can see without the side panel the cards get rather hot. Even with the pump and fans going full blast.
Attachments
no side planle post FX.jpg
no side panle or post fx.jpg
no side panle.jpg
Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-12 @ 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-11 @ 18:17

And here are the temps with the side panel in place.
Not much of a difference.
Attachments
side panle post fx.jpg
side panle no post fx.jpg
side panle.jpg
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-12 @ 00:26

Ok with stock voltage I have the cards at 900core and 1ghz memory. Given how hot the cards run I don't want to push them anymore.
They run so hot I can't even touch the pcb's. I guess that's was happens when a block is just a flat sheet. :dead:

However I do have a game plan on the temps.
If the p5e64 arrives I'll have to take the system apart. I'll sand down the mounting screws a little witch will allow the block to mount closer to the card and tighter. I'll get the best thermal pads I can find for the ram/fets and use coollabs liquid pro for the core. I'll also scuff up the inside of the block, that will increase surface area in the block. If the p5e64 evolution does not show up and I get a refund I'll find better blocks. the board was shipped on the 31fst and the last tracking update was on the 5th. So its not looking good for it. I'll give it another two weeks.

EDIT:
I think I'll cut out the honey comb grill in the case and use fan grills too. This will help a little with temps.

EDIT:
After some more testing I found that the mofets on the cards are not being cooled all to well. The fets are cooled by a block of cast aluminum, that is butted up to the block. I think I put some stick on heat sinks on it. The back of the card gets really hot as the fets are running very hot and it could be making the core and vram running hot too.

EDIT:
I chose not to get a qx9770 for the system seeing as so many want far too much for them. Anyway back in the day just about no one got a qx9770.
In its place I got 2 tubes of cool labs liquid ultra better thermal pads for the 4890's and some fan gaskets/grills. I also got some stick on heat sinks to attach to the dumb cast aluminum VRM cooler on the 4890's blocks.

Now I'm done buying anything. I spent well more then what I should have on the system. I don't even want to know the finale bill. Well half of what I spent came from selling my dual 1366 system. So its not all that bad, well it kind of is. I sold a 780ti for 2 4890's, two 3.6ghz xeons for a qx9650 and a top end Asus server board for a mid range DFI board, and worse of all I sold 6 ssd for 6 hdds. :evil:
I do know I like the system far more. So much fun to mess with
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-13 @ 03:07

Ran some base line benches.
http://url.hwbot.org/2zEpfiH

Let me know if the link does not work.

EDIT:
its looking bad for the p5e64. It may be lost in the mail. :depressed:
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-15 @ 22:47

Well its been 10 days since the tracking went dead on the p5e64 and the seller will not respond to emails or phone calls. :dead: So I opened a paypal case.

I have the worst of luck with buying things this year. Out of about 500 or so items I bought via paypal I have to open 26 cases. That's like 5.2%.
The 26'th being for the p5e64 I bought last month.
Well I guess 25 is the max cases you can open on paypal. They sent me a email stating that they will be going over every case I have ever opened with a fine tooth comb and if they find anything that looks funny they will be reversing the outcome of the case, and if I file any new cases they will be automatically closed in the sellers favor from this point on.

Wow talk about rude. I get screwed over a few times and I'm the bad guy?
Good luck getting the money from me if you reverse any of the cases. I foresee me closing my PayPal case soon.

Anyway long rant over, if the p5e64 is truly lost in the mail I will stick with the dfi dk-x38 and sleeve all the cables in the system and custom wire everything.
Ether way the system is just about done! but I still have yet to do some hard overclocking and still have a few small case mods to do.

I also have a lot of good photos to take and may make a video of the system.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby ynari » 2017-11-17 @ 11:03

Seriously? That's disgraceful behaviour from ebay.

Fortunately I've never had to open a case, although I've had my fair share of returns, and a couple of low value items I just couldn't be arsed bothering with. Also stuff like 'the item you have is out of stock, can we give you an 'equivalent' but actually nowhere near as good one?'. That'll be a no..
ynari

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-17 @ 12:44

I took the blocks apart for modding last night. Sorry for the chummy photos. I'll take better ones when I mod the second card.
Attachments
IMG_3625.JPG
IMG_3626.JPG
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Almoststew1990 » 2017-11-17 @ 18:29

I had XFire 4890s for a while. Bloody hell what a loud, power hungry system but damn it could be very damn fast! I had an 8600GT and upgraded to a single 4890 when the 5850 was just out (bringing down the price of the 4 series). This was a fantastic upgrade I could play games at 720p at playable framerates for a change! After about a year I got a second 4890 for about £50 and XFired them.

I remember some games not increasing in performance at all, and some (Just Cause 2 in particular sticks out in my memory) were getting 70% to 80% performance increase, at 720p, with JC2 maxed getting well over 100fps in the city benchmark. The noise, heat and power draw got tiring so I switched to a 7870 after a year or so.

The 4 series drivers were probably pretty mature at the time, so might not be any better now, but the XFire element might have been improved since then.
Intel 4770K 4.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 2133MHz | AMD 390X | 750GB EVO SSD
Intel E7400 3.2GHz | 3GB DDR2 | Nvidia 440 1024MB | 750GB HDD
S370 Coppermine 866MHz | 256MB PC133 | Voodoo 3 2000 | SB Live! 5.1
Almoststew1990

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-19 @ 01:42

I have yet to find a single game that fails to use both 4890s
Infact from what im seeing the 4890s are doing better then the 6990s I had in the system.

If I recall the last drivers for the cards are from late 2013.

Anyway I cut out the honeycomb grills on the case. All I need now is some molding to put around the holes. I did not take the system completely apart to cut out the holes and just used a set of snips. It looks abit ruff.
Will post photos when the mods are done.
Cutting out tge stock grills is a small mod. But it can make a good difference in both sound and air flow.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-20 @ 15:16

Still no update on the tracking for the p5e64 WS. :dead:

the seller oddly uploaded tracking to the PayPal case shortly after I opened it. But 3 days of trying to get ahold on him via eBay messages, phone and email and not one word from him. Its not looking good.

Anyway I have a online shopping cart at the ready with everything I need to rewire the system and sleeve the cables.
Will go full blown UV green if the p5e64 never arrives. IF it does I'll hold off and do the sleeving latter on. Maybe after new years. I'll give it until the end of the mouth for the p5e64 to show up. If it does not I'll go forward with the sleeving and overclocking of the cpu.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-20 @ 23:54

As I expected one if the two 4890s has died.
This is what happens when you buy a card from someone that thinks its a good idea to put conducive paste between thermal pads and vram/mosfets.

Trying a oven bake at 300f just in the off chance it something solder related.
But ill be on the look out for a another one.

Edit:
The bake did not fix it.
I got a msi 4890 for 25$. Its just one set back after another :angry:
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-24 @ 21:31

Good news everyone!

I received the replacement 4890! Not only tgat but the simple cooling mods I did have made a big difference.

To recap.
I replaced the koolance thermal pads with thermal grizzly pads.
Replace the cool labs coper compound with cool labs liqud ultra, put sick on heats sinks on the mosfet/vrm cooler, put pads on the sould state chocks and scuffed up the inside of the blocks. Now both cards only hit about 49/50c under furmark with a light OC at stock volts. Vs 60/63c before the mods.
The cards should run cooler once the liqud ultra sets up.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-25 @ 17:41

Still no word on the p5e64 WS evolution I ordered. Its been about 20 days since the last tracking update.
If paypal dose things right I sould have my money back on Monday. Not that I have much hope for them, i have a INR case thats been open since July and paypal will not even lift a finger.
Jade Falcon
l33t

PreviousNext

Return to System Specs