VOGONS

First post, by s.mouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, Long time view first time poster love the retro hardware community on here!

I have finally got my grubby mits onto not 1 but 2 socket 4 motherboards and a lone p60 sx948. I found them for a "reasonable" price so had to have them. Both board have the intel LX chipset and 256kb L2 cache

The first board is a Intel batman motherboard they seem to be fairly common, some people report having issues with them but i personally haven't ran into any problems as yet, in saying that i haven't been using it long. High treason has one and you can see it in some of his videos on youtube. Shout out to High treason for the great videos

Second is a Dell board from a optiplex 560-L i believe which Im going to "downgrade" my optiplex xl575 with, As it uses the same chassis.

I have ran a series of benchmarks using Phils benchmark pack. Shout out to Phil for you great videos and the pack!
These boards both have no ability to tweek timings for anything relative to performance in the bios so settings are default

Configuration
-8mb FP ram for all tests except quake with had to be upgraded to 16mb to run
-ARK logic pci video card.
-The same cpu was used, and overclocked to 66mhz for that test
-540mb seagate hard drive
Also included is the dell integrated video card benchmarks using a cirrus logic gd5430 1mb which is atrocious considering ive got a gd5429 vlb card in a dx4-100 that manages to not hold the system back.
For a reference i have added a 486 dx4 results i had recorded board is a PCI ALi chipset using an Ali Mach64 2mb

See attached image for benchmarks

The boards

IMG_1732.JPG
Filename
IMG_1732.JPG
File size
4.58 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dell 560-L Board

IMG_1689.JPG
Filename
IMG_1689.JPG
File size
3.86 MiB
Views
File comment
dell 560 motherbaord
File license

Intel Batman

IMG_1734.JPG
Filename
IMG_1734.JPG
File size
4.61 MiB
Views
File comment
intel batman
File license

dell board in chassis

IMG_1735.JPG
Filename
IMG_1735.JPG
File size
2.54 MiB
Views
File comment
dell in chassis
File license

Benchmarks

benchmarkssep.png
Filename
benchmarkssep.png
File size
33.49 KiB
Views
File comment
Benchmarks
File license

I am particularly fond of the Dell system, the ps2 mouse being convenient for playing warcraft 2 which the system runs surprisingly well under dos even with a sound card

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by s.mouse on 2017-08-16, 21:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome and thanks for your contribution!
You might want to normalize the data when plotting the chart otherwise the results will be dominated by topbench. For example the DX100 sucked at quake but the height of the bar is largely unaffected.

Reply 2 of 6, by s.mouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

Welcome and thanks for your contribution!
You might want to normalize the data when plotting the chart otherwise the results will be dominated by topbench. For example the DX100 sucked at quake but the height of the bar is largely unaffected.

Thanks Lazibayer, i see what you mean, after trying to rectify the chart i decided to scrap it and have replaced it with a bar graph showing each benchmark separately.

Reply 3 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We alway love benchmarks here. 😀 Thank you for posting them! BTW, what is the grey result on your chart? I don't see that color defined in the legend.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 6, by s.mouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

We alway love benchmarks here. 😀 Thank you for posting them! BTW, what is the grey result on your chart? I don't see that color defined in the legend.

No problem! It is there maybe just a little hard to see, next to the yellow dell in the legend. Its the Intel Batman motherboard 60mhz with an Ark Logic PCI vga card. Enjoy!

Reply 5 of 6, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, are you able to dump a BIOS image from original Batman board?
Mine looks similar, but has broken bios. I cannot get it to post. And bios rescue diskettes i found in the internet contain 2 files that i have no idea how to combine.
It would greatly help me if you could dump the bios from the original board...