The more rare Pentium ii PCs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool you know the history of the PC.
This exact PC may not be common but that case was and I hated it. Was towards the beginning of more stylised designs rather then simple straight lines of the 90's
But it does represent a important part of history, as it is about the time when the big OEM brands started aggressively chasing the home market which up to then was looked after by local PC builders like redhill.

I don't mind if PC's are missing Ram or HDD, most likely I'm going to upgrade it anyway.
Why Windows XP though? On a P2 I would install Win98 and have a ok Windows PC and fast Dos PC all in one

Reply 21 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
0101000000110101 wrote:

Jesus, USB 3.0 has been out for THAT long?

You can call me Jos(h)ua, but yes.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USB 3.0 was the next big thing on the last motherboard I bought new, which was I think in 2010.
Remembering past examples, I had no confidence in a 1st gen implementation so I didn't put any value on it at all, it was just something that came with the board that I ignored.
By dumb luck, turns out it uses an NEC chip which I guess is reputed to actually work. It still seems kind of niche, really just useful for people who use external hard drives or do a whole lot of data churning on Flash drives.

Reply 23 of 24, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know we are derailing the topic a bit, but i have had a Kingson R500 USB2 stick for years, and it reaches speeds of 30/20 MBs. Many USB3 sticks still dont even go that high especially with the write speeds, and its often due to bad/cheap controllers - just as it was back in the USB2 days.

Reply 24 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Luckily, USB 3.2 will arrive soon and improve the situation by making people buy USB 3.0 tech. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//