User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

This week I got a nice 286 machine from a recycler:

HgVL2Sxm.jpg

The specs so far:

CPU — unknown. I could not remove the heatsink and I can't load any software on this machine to identify the CPU. I can only say that it's a square ceramic chip, so I guess it's an Intel? Also has an Intel 287-6 FPU

nrMFaFcm.jpg

RAM — 1MB socketed on the motherboard
MB — COMPUMATE-SA286/SUNO2-C with a Suntac chipset
Videocard — Prisma EGAMAX 860 with 256 KB of RAM
HDD — MFM drive, 42MB

At first try the system didn't boot — the PSU is dead. I wonder if this unit's form-factor is unique or not. To me it's like a weird mixture of XT and AT — the power switch is located on the PSU itself, but the connector does look like AT.

9OEpfE8m.jpg

In the meantime I hooked up a generic AT PSU I had. Works fine, but of course it's like two times smaller than the original PSU and doesn't have a powerswitch built-in.

Next problem — the keyboard. The system gave me several keyboard-related errors at boot, so I tried simply disconnecting the keylock (it had the key inserted and was probably engaged by a previous owner). That didn't help. After some inspection I've noticed that the motherboard battery leaked all over the keyboard port and was probably causing the issues. I've removed the battery and cleaned everything with vinegar. The keyboard works now, and thankfully the machine came with an external battery holder. The keylock, however, still doesn't work, so I'm keeping it disconnected.

I finally got the system to boot:

oCDL6R6m.jpg

The system came with MS-DOS 6.22, Norton Commander 5.0 and Dr. Web antivirus with some disk scanning functionality built-in. Looks like the MFM drive doesn't have any bad sectors — very lucky.

Unfortunately, I can't get the 3.5 inches floppy drive to work. I've tried hooking up a different drive that I've used before and tried some disks. The I/O is WD 1003 V-MM2, and any attempt to read a disk results in "General failure reading drive A" error. The drive is configured as 1.44 in BIOS, what else can I try?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 11, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OMG! I grew up in the "capital" of Videoton (Székesfehérvár, Hungary) and it's funny to see how far these machines got. But, I guess it must have been built around the late '80s and the Eastern Block was short on computers, so, yes, why not.

It doesn't mean I can help you with this rig (sorry about it) but I'm amazed to see it here. Good luck with the repairs!

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 3 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote:

OMG! I grew up in the "capital" of Videoton (Székesfehérvár, Hungary) and it's funny to see how far these machines got. But, I guess it must have been built around the late '80s and the Eastern Block was short on computers, so, yes, why not.

Cool! Yes, I forgot to mention — this was indeed made in Hungary. The newest part seems to be the hard drive, dated March 1990.

I'm fairly convinced the PSU is simply XT. However, it looks like XT power supplies have different shapes. Some are Г-shaped (like the one that came with the machine). Some are simply rectangular. Also, the placement of the power switch seems to vary.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 11, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like the design of that computer case. 80's hi-tech industrial looks and that key reminds me of starting an engine of some sort 😀

I think the CPU cooler should be easy to remove, it appears there is a hinge on the left side of the picture and a clamp on the right side. Try to flip that clamp sideways and see if the cooler is released. This is a picture from my exploration of my Compaq Portable II:

hOQtmi3.jpg

Good luck getting the 1.44 to work - it's a good start that BIOS supports the format.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 5 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DeafPK wrote:

I think the CPU cooler should be easy to remove, it appears there is a hinge on the left side of the picture and a clamp on the right side. Try to flip that clamp sideways and see if the cooler is released.

Good luck getting the 1.44 to work - it's a good start that BIOS supports the format.

I'll take a closer look, thanks.

Still no progress with 1.44, unfortunately. Maybe I'll just end up using a separate I/O card for the floppy drive

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

another EGA build, nice!!!
I like that socket with the heatsink, a 286 cpu does get quite hot 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a 286 cpu does get quite hot 😎

Sure, it's a hot one, after all! 😁 (Later 286 generations did survive without heatsinks, though.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Glad to read you got it running!

Is the Floppy LED "on" the whole time? This indicates the cable is connected the wrong direction.

No, I already figured that one out. 🤣

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 11, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That big PSU type was used in full towers, albeit without the switch on the side. I saw some on eBay for around $30 but that was months ago and in the US. Not sure about your area 😜

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 11 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That power supply is just AT style one.. I guess there where about 3 or more different sizes... The smaller normal AT PSU where called BABY AT PSU..

~ At least it can do black and white~