VOGONS

First post, by perixoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

History: My Mom bought this Gateway PC new in September 1999. She only used it for home office stuff, and she didn't have any interest in learning how computers work. So when she had to do any install or update, etc. she had zero patience, and would just start hitting keys. I witness this myself. I remember one time she was trying to do something on the computer and she would mutter "stupid" "stupid...arggh". I asked her, I says "what? is that it's nickname?"
So one day in 2005 I went to her house and she was frustrated, & angry at this PC so bad, that I think if I didn't show up when I did she would've murderd it.
The problem was the HDD had gotten corrupt files from alterations and as a result programs wouldn't open or close, extrememly slow, and the popup alert windows were just fueling the fire of rage. So I bought her a brand new Dell PC (with her money), and she's all happy again.

thumbs-up-and-smiley-in-face.jpg
Filename
thumbs-up-and-smiley-in-face.jpg
File size
28.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Then about 4 years later the same thing happend with the Dell. This time I reinstalled the OS for her. And I noticed she still had her old Gateway in the corner buried behind a pile of stuff. I told her "if you want to get rid of your Gateway I could probably take it, maybe I can do something with it". You see I really wanted it, but I knew she hated it, so I couldn't act like I liked it even though she knew I wanted to have it. After all why would you give a friend something you hate?
Well I took it home and attempted to replace the 20.5GB HDD with a 160GB HDD. I had heard about Hard Drive Limitations, but I just wanted to try it to see if it'd work. And I was still computer ignorant and short on time, but eager to learn. I flashed the BIOS with the latest revision but that didn't help. I tried a controller card but couldn't figure it out. I gave up on the 160GB. Decided I'll just use multiple HDD's. For a Windows 98 PC that will be good enough. I had just spent all the time I had available for it. Put it aside.

time-management 01.jpg
Filename
time-management 01.jpg
File size
29.19 KiB
Views
File license

Present Day: Then the computer sat in the corner for 6-7 years. I wondered if I was ever going to have time to work on it again or even if I was smart enough to be able to fix it. It might have easily got tossed in the trash dump, but in 2015, I unknowingly started a long journey into the world of computers. It all began when my old 2005 Alienware Area 51 broke in June 2015. From that day every spare moment of time I had was filled with computers. By mid 2016 I was rebuilding this Gateway. The first thing I did was a clean install of Windows 98SE. I had installed Win 98 before on other working PC's, but since this is a rebuild with no plan of action, I decided to use the original HDD. It is old and used so I'll do my learning mistakes on it then switch to a new HDD. I just wanted to get the computer working with all the original components so I can be sure the MoBo and everything is in good condition. Then I will start custom modding it.

Pic of the original HDD.

IBM Deskstar 01.JPG
Filename
IBM Deskstar 01.JPG
File size
153.5 KiB
Views
File license
IBM Deskstar 02.JPG
Filename
IBM Deskstar 02.JPG
File size
158.5 KiB
Views
File license

This is how the Gateway looked right after I got it up & running with a fresh Win 98SE OS install on the original HDD.

G-Mod 0101.jpg
Filename
G-Mod 0101.jpg
File size
107.95 KiB
Views
File license

That's all I am posting for now. If anybody's interested I can post the rest of the i-project Gateway.

The original components are:
Motherboard: Intel WS440BX Gateway Tabor 3
Processor: Intel Pentium III 600 Mhz, Slot 1, Katmai SL3JM
Memory: Siemens 128MB x2 = 256MB, 16Mx64 SDRAM
Hard Drive: IBM Deskstar 20.5 GB EIDE
Video Card: Creative Technology, TNT2, 32MB, CT5823
Sound Card: Creative Technology CT5803

Last edited by perixoto on 2017-10-09, 02:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm guessing the keyboard took a beating from your mom beating on it but the case itself is in beautiful shape. 99 out of 100 of them are horribly worn out and beaten from being kicked around in garages for years.

I'm amazed that Deskstar drive still works though, I have quite a few of those that I need to take out to the garbage bin 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 5, by perixoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VOGONS is just the kind of forum I've been looking for. I'm really stumped as to why I never knew about it before now. This Gateway is my first time at restoring and modifying a computer for the best gaming performance. And I must have spent over a hundred hours on the internet researching and educating myself. The information highway was indispensable toward the success of this build. Wish I had known about VOGON.

You know it never occurred to me until you mentioned the keyboard. But I did have to get another keyboard because the original one had 2 dead keys. I bought an old NMB Keyboard. It's cream color, solid & heavy. Matches the Gateway perfect.

I was going to dispose the Deskstar and use a Western Digital, that was my 1st intention. Then I took a look at it and it seamed like a pretty nice HDD. It's heavy too, not that that means anything but it works great. It's fast enough, it's quiet and never even gets warm. I like how it looks, "IBM" real computerish. Western Digital HDD's make a humming noise and vibrate.

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had the P2 version of this, was MY (as not the families) first PC.
Interesting they dropped the on-board SB64 PCI form the Tabor 2, Still I always liked the fact its a rebadged Intel board.
Intel was famous for stable motherboards, BX was famous for being stable, so this must be one of the most stable motherboards ever?

One thing that always annoyed me was CD drive wont fit in the bottom bay as it hits the motherboard, that was back when I wanted a separate CD-ROM, CD-RW and DVD-ROM depending on what I was doing to save wear and tear on expensive drives. Now I'd just use a single DVD-RW and even then just to install the OS and copy everything else across the network. times change eh?

You actually have a nice crossover DOS/win9x gaming PC. add a ISA soundcard and your good to go, the TNT2 has great DOS support, although its holding back you Windows gaming a bit, or if you ant to keep it somewhat original, add a voodoo2 card or 2 and you'll be set!

Reply 5 of 5, by perixoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I first acquired this computer I had no idea what components were in it. During my research I was happy to learn that the motherboard was considered to be one of the best in it's class. The case is nice and sturdy with plenty of room, it's all business yet attractive too. This combination makes a great foundation for any build I may try on it.

I finished the build on this about a year ago. I'm just now posting the project for anyone who might find it interesting. Because I did a lot of unique mods to the case.
This computer was a special achievement for me because of a few reasons. I have very little knowledge about computers and this was my 1st time building one. This computer was destined for the trash and now it is sitting in my office as a serious Win 98 gaming PC. And, Since this computer is from the Windows 98 era and I built it in 2016, it was difficult to find the resources and information I needed, as I had no prior experience I had to learn everything.

Actually I have a Pentium machine that I use for DOS 6.22 this Gateway will only be Win 98.
And it's interesting that you mention the TNT2 & Voodoo 2. Because this PC originally came with the TNT2 card, and now it has the Diamond Voodoo 2 cards in SLI (Mega Monster).

Monster Mansion 50%.jpg
Filename
Monster Mansion 50%.jpg
File size
19.03 KiB
Views
File license