VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all,

So this is a second part to my specs to target thread, in the first I was intending to cover 8088 to PIII, and in this one I'm intending to cover Socket A, Socket 754, Intel Socket 423/478/775. I seem to have skipped slot A entirely for some reason, don't have any. Guess these are "classics" maybe so far, rather than vintage yet. First thread for background.. Taming the pile, specs to target?

So I've got a number of Socket A boards, SDRAM to DDR400, 2x754, 2x 423, 3x478, 4x775.. a smattering of GPUs, it's weird, I kinda missed the whole GF 5 generation. Spotty.

I guess I want to find some classic configs in these classes. 3 or 4, or 5 or 6, definitely no more than 6, maybe.. Although to be honest, I was losing interest in gaming with the online activation crap, and lack of good offline single player, so probably I don't care about too much after about 2005, because there's little I want to play. Though I keep meaning to and forgetting to create steam and origin accounts to harvest the freebies, and get some humble bundle deals. I used to be more of a bargain bin, and value release gamer anyway. Took something special to buy new release.

Kicking around some ideas, think I have a Thunderbird 1300, that seems to pair well with an A7V kt133, then maybe a GF3, 512MB SDram... which would be a high end rig for 2001. ... Then the trouble is, DDR boards, Athlon XP and GF4 came in a year later, which makes me want to do a pally XP 2100+ in an AMD 760 board with a GF4 4200. THEN the trouble is, the Thoroughbred Bs came out and I have 2 Tbred-B durons and an AUIHB 2000+ all straining at the leash to prove themselves at 2.5Ghz plus. That might have to be on a KT400 board, because I hadn't managed to get a peep out of the NF2 board I got used, supposedly working. My notebooks say I've got a 2nd GF4 4200 to put in that, but will also have to look at whether I can necromance a Radeon 9500... (Scrambled video) ... That would be it for the socket As, though I have this strange urge to do a ratchet rocket, the kind of low budget system people short on money might put together, Duron Morgan (think it's a 1200) K7S5A and a SiS Xabre....

Now it might be said I'm more of an AMD fanboi, but for some reason I ended up with P4 stuff anyway, it just kind of arrived. Got 2 423 boards that I can remember, but naturally, only a few limp willies to go in them, Think I have a 1.8, but it's all down from there. Although I do want to get an RDRAM board going good, I got a bunch of RD thrown in on a "box o RAM" deal and wanna use it, and the RD RAM system I got. Maybe I could throw a GF3 in that, but kinda want to put a Radeon 8500 for contrast to AMD/GF3, yeah I've got the urge to do head to head intel vs AMD systems, gah, think of the space. Then I am fairly sure for 478 I have a 2.4 Northwood, that should be rather a classic one to save, they were supposed to do over 3G, think I've got a Via chispet board that will let it rip some... what with that though? Whatever I didn't use with the XP I guess, maybe a 9200 or something, bit late but standing in for 8500 class. Now, you know what the problem with 775 is??? All boards are pressed into service with Core class CPUs, still making themselves useful. Okay, theres one, but it's a Dell, won't take a conroe, theoretically takes a Pentium D, and I have one, so the Dell Dementia will have to represent the pinnacle of p4 development, with DDR2 ram and possibly a 9600 AIW (Not sure if I wanna open NIB) or I think maybe I've got an Radeon X1950, that too late? X600???
IF I turn up another s775 conroe incapable board, another ratchet rocket config will tempt me, I've got a 3.6 Celeron D, stick it with a GF2MX400 or something (Pretend it's a Gf4 420, same diff.)

S754, KT800 vs Nforce ... only a 3000+ to go in either... doubt there's 3700s at any reasonable price. What GPU matches again, X600s again?

I guess really that gets me to 2005, most later parts are tending to be pressed in service for surfing boxes etc.

Battlefield 1942, Ghost Recon, those are maybe really the only games I wanna play on them, maybe should just keep teh 2002 ones.

WAKE UP, yah sorry, I do go on.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 1, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K8T800 has the advantage of chipset support for DDMA whereas an nForce3 will be non viable for PCI audio in DOS.

As for games, BF1942 with the DCX mod, baby!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder