286 EGA build mk2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'm wondering if Skyroads had multiple releases. For example, there are different versions of Sierra games. Some only do VGA. Some only do EGA, and others can do EGA or VGA (using VGA emulation through 620x200 EGA mode).

Sierra often have a Tandy mode also don't they? One or two of the big houses did in the day. At least for stuff that would run on XTs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21 of 25, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In this thread Looking for drivers for Prisma EGAMAX 860 Deksor is looking for the EGAMAX 860 tools. Do you have the tools in disk by chance?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 22 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

The supaplex detection specifically only fails in dual vga/ega cards and with some ega cards that can display a 16color vga mode. Pure/real EGA cards work fine.

Hello again! 😀 While reading an article at OS/2 Museum, I came across an interesting link to an old advertisment.
According to it, the old Tridents did support EGA at the register level(!).
If so, something like an 8800CS might be able to do the job (it had EGA and VGA out).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 25, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?conten … ident_prog.html

But the "old" TVGA cards could be interesting when they offer a wide range of drivers for different progs like GEM/GEOS/WIN1X/2X/3X D-Paint, Paintprush etc.
Don't know how good the driver-situation is.

My ET4000 can be switched into EGA-Mode, but this does not lead to a better performace or any other advantages, it's the opposite of that.
The picture get's smaller (Borders) and the performance is about -20%.

Doc

Attachments

• TVGA.png
    Filename
    TVGA.png
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 24 of 25, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2017-10-27, 12:22:
The OAK cards have got a nifty little mode utility called VGAMODE. It works from the 037c model onwards and allows for a selecti […]
Show full quote

The OAK cards have got a nifty little mode utility called VGAMODE.
It works from the 037c model onwards and allows for a selection of CGA, EGA, VGA and Hercules(!)
This is nice for CGA games in particular, because the emulation supports palette 0 via registers (tested with Starquake).
Here's a little video with the Hercules mode in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtFhfny_oI

Edit: Utility attached.

but the 3sg demos has some glitches not visable on real hardware.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 25 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-04-22, 05:48:
Jo22 wrote on 2017-10-27, 12:22:
The OAK cards have got a nifty little mode utility called VGAMODE. It works from the 037c model onwards and allows for a selecti […]
Show full quote

The OAK cards have got a nifty little mode utility called VGAMODE.
It works from the 037c model onwards and allows for a selection of CGA, EGA, VGA and Hercules(!)
This is nice for CGA games in particular, because the emulation supports palette 0 via registers (tested with Starquake).
Here's a little video with the Hercules mode in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtFhfny_oI

Edit: Utility attached.

but the 3sg demos has some glitches not visable on real hardware.

Ah, I see. You mean the glitch when that whirl/helix scene happens? 🙂
Well, yes, that's not happening on a real Hercules Monochrome card indeed.

My point simply was that this commonly seen "poor" card is doing okay more or less.
It even could display some stuff which DOSBox couldn't at the time. That C64 emu comes to mind.
Not sure which one to blame, though. Perhaps it was that C64 emulator that was programmed in an unorthodox fashion, not sure.

Here're some older photos taken years ago.
They're from another thread originally. 🙂

Edit: To be fair, someone noted the lower/higher case difference in the screenshots.
I think it was my clumsiness that caused it, but maybe the PETSCII chars used for drawing differ enough in lower case mode to cause this effect.

Attachments

• c64_real_game.jpg
    Filename
    c64_real_game.jpg
    File size
    272.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Real C64 (early version, PAL)
    File license
  • c64hgc_crt_game.jpg
    Filename
    c64hgc_crt_game.jpg
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Hercules hardware emulation (OAK OTI 037c / VGA card)
    File license
  • c64hgc_dbx_game.png
    Filename
    c64hgc_dbx_game.png
    File size
    4.39 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Hercules software emulation (DOSBox v0.7x)
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//