286 EGA build mk2

Topic actions

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

Finally got around to completing this build — my first EGA rig, but also my first pre-486 computer (I only started gaming in 1996).

A while ago I managed to get my hands on a Videoton machine with a EGA screen. Unfortunately, the PSU in that case was dead, and I couldn't make the MFM/FDD controller work properly. So I decided to simply move the motherboard to a different case and start from scratch. The specs are:

Intel 286@12 MHz + Intel 287@6Mhz;
1MB of RAM onboard;
Prisma EGAMAX 860 with 256 KB of RAM;

ofXWIsq.jpg
Filename
ofXWIsq.jpg
File size
2.41 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Goldstar Prime 2-based IDE multi I/O;
SoundCommander EX — an 8 bit SoundBlaster 2.0 (according to AIDA16) clone of some sort. This card would probably be more useful in a XT build, but I just wanted to try it.

2017-03-31%252022.09.43.jpg
Filename
2017-03-31%252022.09.43.jpg
File size
2.26 MiB
Views
File license

Wester Digital 420MB HDD
Genius J-12 joystick

2017-10-27 01.25.33.jpg
Filename
2017-10-27 01.25.33.jpg
File size
2.85 MiB
Views
File license

The BIOS doesn't allow setting the HDD geometry manually, so I've set up the HDD as a 127MB (still, three times bigger than the original MFM drive). After that I've installed DOS 6.22 and Norton Commander 5.51 (my standard setup).

Questions

1. The SoundCommander EX does work without any drivers, as evident by Silpheed's AdLib mode. Still, I'd like to find the driver disks for it. So far, I've only managed to get the first disk that has some software — not the drivers. Does anyone have any info on this card?
2. I also have this Oak OTIVGA EGA/VGA combo card (the yellow one on the photo). Any reason to use it instead of the Prisma card?

2017-03-31%2022.10.05.jpg
Filename
File size
2.2 MiB
Views
File license

3. Any reason to use an earlier DOS version, aside from "period-correctness"?

Games

Now, the big question — what would you recommend for this machine? I want to try stuff that is designed for EGA (I have other machines for VGA games), but still supports at least AdLib for sound — because I really can't stand PC speaker music (and never could, sorry). So far I'm planning to try Ultima I and some text adventures, but none of that are really EGA/AdLib titles.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2018-11-12, 10:37. Edited 3 times in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 25, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't go wrong with Sierra and LucasFilm Games of the time. They really did a great job with EGA.

Platforming-wise, you have Commander Keen as well as a few other Apogee titles. Duke Nukem, Bio Menace Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, etc.

And EGA Trek. 😁

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CkRtech wrote:

And EGA Trek. 😁

Yeah! (^_^)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 25, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beautiful EGA Games:

- Most all older Adventures are really beautiful on EGA
- TestDrive2
- Overkill
- Speedball
- Xenon2

I should boot-up my 286 TowerAT (EGA) and look for the Games/Demos/Intros
that are installed on the 1Gb SCSI harddisk.

EGA-Pixelart-Collection (Hires) https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/se … 157652364100484
TowerAT (EGA) https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/se … 157660715046016
Some small older Vids on that EGA-Machine https://www.youtube.com/user/drzeissler

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
[...] 2. I also have this Oak OTIVGA EGA/VGA combo card (the yellow one on the photo). Any reason to use it instead of the Prism […]
Show full quote

[...]
2. I also have this Oak OTIVGA EGA/VGA combo card (the yellow one on the photo). Any reason to use it instead of the Prisma card?

3. Any reason to use an earlier DOS version, aside from "period-correctness"?

nice build! congrats!

About the OTIVGA/EGA card: I have a similar one and in EGA mode it will be faster than any EGA card - even the high end ones. But if you plan to use it in EGA mode prepare for incompatibilities: games that auto-detect for ega/vga will assume it's a VGA card and it will produce an unusable image (GODS comes to mind) or wrong colors. Some allow you to force EGA , some just have the issues no matter what.

About DOS, 6.22 is just fine - going to a lower version doesn't have any benefits - at least on the stuff I do on my 286/EGA setup. Keep 6.22 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 25, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

About DOS, 6.22 is just fine - going to a lower version doesn't have any benefits - at least on the stuff I do on my 286/EGA setup. Keep 6.22 😎

I'm always using MS-DOS 5.00a on anything below a 486. It's fast, small, and not bloated with stuff I don't need (memmaker, double space, msav, etc.). Also, it has QBasic already (and hence edit.com) and comes with DOSShell, which I really like.

Reply 6 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ the only edit.com worth mentioning is the one from ms-dos 7xx - it works fine in previous versions.
I have found 6.22 to have better memory management but as always YMMV

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The OAK cards have got a nifty little mode utility called VGAMODE.
It works from the 037c model onwards and allows for a selection of CGA, EGA, VGA and Hercules(!)
This is nice for CGA games in particular, because the emulation supports palette 0 via registers (tested with Starquake).
Here's a little video with the Hercules mode in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtFhfny_oI

Edit: Utility attached.

Attachments

• vgamode.jpg
    Filename
    vgamode.jpg
    File size
    37.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    VGA Mode Selector 1.11 (OAK)
    File license
  • Filename
    vgamode_oak.zip
    File size
    9.58 KiB
    Downloads
    81 downloads
    File license

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ try it with GODS or Supaplex and see what happens - mode is ignored

Reply 9 of 25, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a weird issue — whenever I leave text mode (e.g., Norton Commander or DOS prompt) and launch a graphical game, the screen starts producing a slightly noticeable hissing sound and it's a bit unnerving. Got that with Vette, Test Drive 2, etc. Is that an issue with the screen itself, or the graphic card?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

most likely the monitor changes from 25khz to 15khz for the game... some hissing is not something unusual, does it not go away after a while?

Reply 11 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ try it with GODS or Supaplex and see what happens - mode is ignored

Okay, so I tried. The Supaplex game works fine in VGA mode, but not so well in EGA. 🙁
That had to be expected, though. Because the EGA was so similar to VGA, there probably was
little reason to implement a full emulation of it (unlike CGA/Hercules which wanted 6845 compatibility).

The OTI cards probably do very little in this case, and it rather is related to the emulation of the Video BIOS.
VGAMODE perhaps instructs the OAK VGA BIOS to hide some of its modes and features.
Normal EGA games (pre-VGA) might fall for it, but not the later ones.

I haven't really checked, but I suspect Supaplex uses a 16 colour mode also,
perhaps even an EGA mode, with a modified palette. Anyway, it seems to run fine in VGA mode.

Also, another game, Skyroads works fine with OAK's EGA emulation.

Attachments

• supaplex.jpg
    Filename
    supaplex.jpg
    File size
    70.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vga mode will be fine - I haven't detected anything weird as well. But jheronimus asks about using the card in EGA mode: that's where the problems start since some games nommater the setting will default to a wrongly-detected VGA card.
The supaplex detection specifically only fails in dual vga/ega cards and with some ega cards that can display a 16color vga mode. Pure/real EGA cards work fine.

Reply 13 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see, makes sense, thanks. At least the OAK does support some of the more important CGA stuff, at least.
If I had access to an actual EGA monitor, I would love to do some testing and compare the results with a true EGA adapter! 😁

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe I'm missing something, but does Skyroads support EGA graphics?
Also, doesn't that game require a 386?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. Just double-checked on my 286 and DOSBox..
It works fine here.

Attachments

• skyroads_title.png
    Filename
    skyroads_title.png
    File size
    4.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • skyroads.png
    Filename
    skyroads.png
    File size
    6.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe we should start a thread about (good) EGA games 😁 , we all know the sierra/lucas/apogee ones but there are tons more out there - like Skyroads that I had not idea as well

Reply 18 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm wondering if Skyroads had multiple releases. For example, there are different versions of Sierra games. Some only do VGA. Some only do EGA, and others can do EGA or VGA (using VGA emulation through 620x200 EGA mode).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19 of 25, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

maybe we should start a thread about (good) EGA games 😁 , we all know the sierra/lucas/apogee ones but there are tons more out there - like Skyroads that I had not idea as well

vogons seems to have some rumbling about EGA as well as 286s lately. It would be fun to create an enthusiasts guide for the two - games that work well on 286 hardware as well as good EGA games.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video