Beefed up Gateway GP-6 build

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Beefed up Gateway GP-6 build

Postby yawetaG » 2017-11-11 @ 15:34

This thread is going to be about the machine described in this post, and how it will be merged with the contents of another case to transform it into a computer that doesn't absolutely suck at everything except sound.

The Gateway GP-6 range was Gateway's entry-level range of systems in about 1999-2000, using microATX OEM Intel motherboards based on the Intel 810 chipset with integrated graphics (shitty integrated graphics) and integrated sound (decent-good integrated sound), 4 PCI slots, no AGP slots, and limited processor support options. It also appears to be the start of making Gateway systems cheaper by cutting corners beyond using OEM motherboards, as we'll see in the case design.

The case is currently in bits because whoever removed the hard disk did so in a highly incompetent manner and I need to rewire the front panel.

Front bezel:

IMG_8948.jpg

Compared to my other Gateway system, a G6-266 (P2 266 MHz system), which uses a nifty system with metal clips to attach the front bezel, this one was attached with four screws. The case also lacks the soundproofing and the handy hard disk mounts and other clipped on bits present in the G6...

Case:

IMG_8950.jpg

There's room for a floppy disk drive and two 5.25" optical disk drives. The hard disk mounts above the CD-ROM drives. It looks like it's better to first mount the hard disk and only then add the 5.25" drives. I need to bend some bits of metal back in shape because the person who removed the hard disk did so without first removing the CD-drives and bent the top of the (steel) case :neutral: .

As mentioned, I also still need to rewire the front panel switches:

IMG_8949.jpg

I've cleaned up the pins on the switches today, but I currently can't find my "third hand" soldering help and it's getting dark, so soldering will have to wait until later.

Side view of the system:

IMG_8958.jpg

The measly 70-90 Watt power supply is located right next to the processor. It has a fan that sucks away hot air from the processor.

The motherboard was damaged by the person who removed the hard disk. One of the IDE connectors is cracked on the side:

IMG_8957.jpg
Last edited by yawetaG on 2017-11-11 @ 15:47, edited 2 times in total.
yawetaG
Oldbie

Re: Beefed up Gateway GP-6 build

Postby yawetaG » 2017-11-11 @ 15:45

...and the green connector and the black one besides it had their plastic part ripped off the contacts:

IMG_8953.jpg

I slightly enlarged the holes for the pins and pushed the plastic parts back on. At this stage I have no idea whether the board was physically damaged beyond this, as I've still got to power it up.

The placement of the power supply is not amenable to good cable management, it already looks like a mess with only the floppy drive cable:

IMG_8952.jpg

I will test the system in a minimum configuration, with a single stick of RAM and a floppy disk drive as the only things beyond the processor (a passively cooled Celeron that's probably in the 466-566 MHz range). The system came with two sticks of 133 MHz 64 Mb IBM SDRAM. Also included was a Sweex 10/100 Mb LAN card:

IMG_8955.jpg

and a Rockwell 56k6 modem:

IMG_8956.jpg

I've removed these two from the system, as I don't feel like accidentally frying them should it turn out that the damage to the board goes further than merely some damaged connectors.

Motherboard at this stage is a Intel WL810E board, ultra-lowend OEM board where about the only good thing is the on-board Creative AudioPCI 128 sound.

I've also got another system coming from the same time period, except that one has an Asus Cusi-M motherboard with a 1GHz Pentium III in a low-profile case. The plan is to swap the internals of the two systems, so I can use the SB Live! card I bought earlier this year in the Cusi-M board in the GP-6 case, and maybe have a simple Celeron system in the low-profile case...
yawetaG
Oldbie

Return to System Specs