VOGONS

First post, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have recently finished my 'weird Celeron 1.8 GHz system'. I enjoy building classic pc's, especially building 'Frankenstein' configurations, not necessarily with expensive or best in class components, but with the stuff that I happen to have on stock (read: where I got a good deal on). The rationale is not really to first look at what games it should be able to run or what year it should represent, instead, I simply build a system I like first and then test what it can run 🤣

This new system is almost completely built up with brand new components:

- New AOpen MT-85 white / beige mATX case (mfd. 2001)
- New FSP300-60GLS 300W SFX power supply
- New Typhoon 4LED 80 mm case fan
- New PCCHIPS M935CG motherboard with integrated (yes that's right soldered, not in socket 478) Intel Celeron SL68D 1.8 GHz / 128 KB L2 cache w/ stock CPU cooler. This board also has video (SiS 315), sound (Realtek ALC101) and USB 2.0.
- Used 2x Geil GE2GB3200BDC 1 GB DDR400 CL3 RAM
- Used Leadtek WinFast A6600GT-TDH (limited edition) GeForce 6600GT 128 MB DDR3 AGP 8x
- New Sitecom CN-029 4x USB 2.0 PCI card
- New Digitus JM20330 PATA-SATA adapter
- New Transcend SSD370S 32 GB SATA SSD
- New Alps 3.5'' disk drive
- New TSST SD-M1912 16x DVD-ROM PATA drive
- New Asus CRW-5232A3 52x CD-RW PATA drive

The system runs on Windows 2000 Pro SP4. I chose this instead of Windows XP because XP has the annoying activation loop, where no real solutions for exist in 2017 (already tried some supposed ones, but they don't work permanently). Win2K does not require online activation. Furthermore, if I want to play a game that requires at least XP, then I rather choose Vista that can still be activated (already have a system for that purpose). For Windows 9x only games that require a lot of juice I have something else on my mind (ok there's a little bit of common sense behind my pc projects 😊 ..).

Here are some pictures of what it looks like:

IMGP7051.jpg
Filename
IMGP7051.jpg
File size
94.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMGP7049.jpg
Filename
IMGP7049.jpg
File size
148.26 KiB
Views
File license
IMGP7048.jpg
Filename
IMGP7048.jpg
File size
166.14 KiB
Views
File license
IMGP7054.jpg
Filename
IMGP7054.jpg
File size
181.69 KiB
Views
File license

Apart from the power LED that I couldn't connect to the motherboard, the pc is fully working. It is very fast for what it is and is reliable so far. I've tried to connect the power LED to a Molex plug (red & black wires) but didn't work either (voltage too high for the LED?).

So far I have tested some of my favorite games like 'Vakantie Racer' from Davilex and NFS Hot Pursuit 2. Both games run super smooth maxed out.

In 3DMark2001SE I got a score of 7659 3D marks @ 1024x768 32-bit color. Not bad for a 'slowmotion' Celeron I think:

benchmark result.jpg
Filename
benchmark result.jpg
File size
165.52 KiB
Views
File license

I hope you like this pc and I'm open for any suggestions with regard to what games this 'Frankenstein' pc can run. I'm a race game fan, but would also like to get to know some other early 00's games that I can try out on this system.

Thanks for reading and thanks to Phil's computer lab with his great website and video's!

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2017-11-12, 15:29. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neat, it's pretty uncommon to see a build using one of those ECS/PC Chips soldered-CPU boards. Even more, it's the only one for sure I've ever seen with an Intel chip.

I also like that case; just enough room for all essentials and full-height expansion cards, without much wasted space. It suits the MB well.

SpectriaForce wrote:

... I've tried to connect the power LED to a Molex plug (red & black wires) but didn't work either (voltage too high for the LED?).

As long as it's attached to 5V with the correct wire grounded, it should work. Otherwise it's probably just a defective LED.

Reply 2 of 4, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulate to your new AOpen mATX case combined with the drives. It's perfect. It's beautiful.

I wish i have had it for my Celeron project...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 3 of 4, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually own two MT-85 cases. The other one will be used for my P4 Northwood project. The case is indeed just large enough to accommodate everything a gamer 'really needs'. I've also tested my FX 5800 in this system, which is dual slot. That thing did fit (by bending the pins of the CD-audio header haha), but unfortunately it showed red garbage at POST on the screen and the pc didn't boot with it. I might try that card in another pc, but I think it's pretty much dead 😵

I have added some additional specifications in the list above, perhaps that helps if you want to build a system like this.