VOGONS

First post, by Retro77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I recently picked up a windows 98 system for my gaming room, it seemed a bargain for £45 and so far ive had a few old games running for my little lad (zoo tycoon, theme hospital, airport tycoon and 500 in 1 mini games)

Im especially interested in running 90s era platformers and flight games on this. I actually own an extensive sega master system setup and this is just a little extra for my games room.

Ill post the specs below and would love any opnions on what I could do to improve it or is it okay as it is?

Specifications:

Chieftec Beige ATX Case
FSP 250W ATX PSU
QDI Advance 10T ATX Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 1GHz Coppermine
512MB SDRAM PC133
GeForce FX 5200 128Mb AGP
20GB Seagate IDE HDD
10/100Mb PCI Network Card
CD-ROM 52x
Floppy Drive
Windows 98SE (fresh with only drivers installed)

2qsyqvk.png

Reply 2 of 11, by Retro77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

wow that's almost identical to what I had 10 years ago! Nice machine.

Hi

Thanks! I’ve been looking for a while but ive forgotton so much about win 98 and that era of PC’s, ive done a little research and ive found its weakest link is probably the graphics card.

Ive also seen that someone made a service pack for win 98 but I think if its all working ok ill just leave well alone. Ive no intension of connecting it to the internet/network, it will solely be used for old games.

If anyone could recommend and decent scrolling type platform games and/or flight games for this pc that would be great?

Reply 4 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Retro77 wrote:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

Thanks! I’ve been looking for a while but ive forgotton so much about win 98 and that era of PC’s, ive done a little research and ive found its weakest link is probably the graphics card.

Ive also seen that someone made a service pack for win 98 but I think if its all working ok ill just leave well alone. Ive no intension of connecting it to the internet/network, it will solely be used for old games.

If anyone could recommend and decent scrolling type platform games and/or flight games for this pc that would be great?

The fx5200 is an ok card for a retro Piii system if its a ultra or 128bit vram card.
64bit ones were slow. Some do say a few games have odd ball problems with them, but I never had any problems with them.

Reply 5 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

The fx5200 is an ok card for a retro Piii system if its a ultra or 128bit vram card.
64bit ones were slow. Some do say a few games have odd ball problems with them, but I never had any problems with them.

I benched a 64-bit vs 128-bit FX5200 and the difference wasn't that bad as long as you kept it at 1024x768 or lower. I think it's still more than enough for a Win98 P3 system for games from 2001 and earlier.

3dmark 2001 1024x768x32bpp on a P3-933
64-bit: 4208
128-bit: 4885

Quake2 1024x768x16bpp P3-933
64-bit: 122.3
128-bit: 195.7

Quake2 1024x768x32bpp P3-933
64-bit: 85.7
128-bit: 156.3

In lower resolutions the difference was much less, especially in 16bpp, but in almost all games, the framerates were >60, which is all that really matters.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

remember an FX 5200 64bit is about the same prefoamnce as an MX420/MX 400 as the NV34 was a rather weak GPU, with 128bit it was about MX460/Gf 3/Radeon 8500LE/Radeon 9000 Pro prefoamnce.

Reply 8 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me DOS was the era of platformers, but should still work in your PC from within windows, may have to update to a SBlive for dos sound within windows? maybe not?
Command Keen series
Crystal Caves
Duke Nukem 1 but moreso 2
Jill of the Jungle
Jazz Jack Rabbit...complete with Christmas levels for this time of year 😀
Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage
Abuse

and no doubt others I've forgotten

And for a bit of education while playing

Word/Maths Rescue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyX7KR4lDJA

Reply 9 of 11, by Retro77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
For me DOS was the era of platformers, but should still work in your PC from within windows, may have to update to a SBlive for […]
Show full quote

For me DOS was the era of platformers, but should still work in your PC from within windows, may have to update to a SBlive for dos sound within windows? maybe not?
Command Keen series
Crystal Caves
Duke Nukem 1 but moreso 2
Jill of the Jungle
Jazz Jack Rabbit...complete with Christmas levels for this time of year 😀
Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage
Abuse

and no doubt others I've forgotten

And for a bit of education while playing

Word/Maths Rescue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyX7KR4lDJA

Brilliant thanks for all those, some good looking games there!!

The word/maths one is a great idea

Cheers