First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this in a friend's basement:

borpVQJ.jpg
HNkb2A4.jpg

Win 98, safe mode boot only for now. Came with a keyboard, a 14 inch CRT (Samsung Multisync). I've never had a PII back in the day, as I skipped from my highly upgraded 233MMX straight to PIII. I think I'll keep this one for some time.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 2 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Banshees are awesome and a bit rare if I'm not mistaken! It's a nice build that is a great representative of a fast gaming PC in 1998. How are you liking it so far?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 11, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats a perfect 1998 gaming machine in pristine condition even!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh shoot I had that exact same case for my PII and later PIII system and I am actually trying to get one of those again.

It's an InWin right? Or a clone?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Merry Christmas everyone!

Looks like a clone to me:

or51Q3z.jpg

Pretty high quality things in there, the burner, the WD 10 gig drive, everything worked (I am having occasional reading issues on the Creative CDROM)

I swapped out the 10g hard disk to an 8.4 gig as I wanted to preserve the 90s goodness on there and scour the drive for files. There was a bunch of 90s - early 2000s MP3s on there - good stuff. The 8.4g was formatted and 98SE loaded. Now I gotta put some games on it and enjoy. Should be doable as I have the next week entirely off 😉

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do like getting PC's that are a pinpoint in time, Although I usually cave in and end up upgrading it myself
Even Creative branded card. Not that it really matters but its nice having matching manufacture cards.

Reply 7 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Clone or not it looks amazingly good.

That was the exact same case as my firt PII PC (PII-300, i740, Voodoo 2 8MB) and I WISH I had one of those cases.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

I do like getting PC's that are a pinpoint in time, Although I usually cave in and end up upgrading it myself
Even Creative branded card. Not that it really matters but its nice having matching manufacture cards.

Every.System.Ever.

Last year I got a 386SX16 with a 42Mb hard disk, 1 Mb RAM, and a VGA Wonder 256k card. A time capsule to the year it was made. Even the hard disk had its original date of Dec 1989 when the partition was made. (That drive is in my troubled 286 now).

Well, now it has a co-processor, an 85Mb hard disk, 4Mb RAM (36 individual DIP chips), and the VGA Wonder has been upgraded to 512k. There's a BUS mouse on it too now. I also put in a Crystal SB compatible sound card (really I am looking for an 8Bit Soundblaster, I think CT1370 IIRC) but that's the only thing that's out of time, being from 1993, whereas the rest of the stuff is from 1989-1990. Lately it's been in heavy use as I just discovered a game called Wasteland 😉

I know this pain, friend. Nothing can stay stock. Especially my cars!

I think I'm gonna set this one up in the living room tonight - I got a real MS PS/2 mouse and some burnable media - Time for Fallout 😉 (Another game I've never played).

Reply 9 of 11, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Thats a perfect 1998 gaming machine in pristine condition even!

I did find a decent amount of rust on the bottom of the inside of the case. Wirebrush and a demel took care of most of it 😉

Reply 10 of 11, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, that is so similar to our family computer back then. We had the 16mb Blaster Banshee, SB Live!, 10gb Fujistu HDD, 128mb, but it was 433MHz celeron w/ an ECS motherboard. Also it was in a different case, this one:
X4FY3jKm.jpg

Definitely worth preserving as it is.

Reply 11 of 11, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started to play with this a little, it has a Shuttle HOT-661 motherboard. From what I can tell, it is not as good as my PII/PIII Aopen 64MX, but it at least has a BX chipset vs VIA for the Aopen.

I swapped out the cooling fan in the power supply as it was just covered in dust, and I also replaced the CPU fan with a faster/larger one I had from spares. The system runs much quieter now. I also replaced the PC100 RAM with PC133, but I'm getting conflicting results from manuals and benchmarks performed when this board was new. I think I might flash the BIOS and do some benchmarks.