my question s is witch video card to use for dos gaming and windows 98 gaming
i have voodoo 2 voodoo 3 and now this 3d prophet 4500

Reply 1 of 14, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keep the Kyro! 😁

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 3 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A voodoo 2 doesn't really do much for DOS gaming, since it is a 3D-accelerator only. There aren't that many DOS games that can make use of a Voodoo 2. By 1998 (when the Voodoo 2 was popular) most games were meant for Windows 9x and supported Direct3D, OpenGL or Glide.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 14, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^ what Ozzuneoj said. I don't recall if somebody ever tested the Kyro with DOS though. It is an early 00s card (2001?), so your safest bet for 95- games would be the Voodoo3, its compatibility is pretty good. However, it is an awesome and a bit unusual card to have, especially for a P3 system like yours.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 7 of 14, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the Voodoo2 can't do any 2D at all, so I don't see how this is relevant.

Kyro's 2D is okay, expect the usual bugs such as Commander Keen 4 and Jazz Jackrabbit scrolling issues, it should for the most part suit you fine.

Reply 9 of 14, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scroeffie wrote:

on wiki it says that the voodoo 2 can do 2d games etc also people on youtube like phil said that the voodoo 2 is good for 2d gaming

That is incorrect. I know that there is a person on here who likes to point out that, technically, a Voodoo2 can do 2D, the reality is that it can not practically do it. Phil would say thst the voodoo3 is good for 2d gaming, and it is.

The Voodoo2 is a 3D only card. It requires a companion 2D card, and then uses a VGA input to switch between the 2D card and its 3d renderer. You could use the Kyro with the Voodoo2, and then use the Glide option in games which support it.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 10 of 14, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i also have a voodoo 3 card , correctio phil said that voodoo 2 card has good compatibility for dos gaming << wat does that mean incl 2d gaming ,2d gaming is part of dos gaming
so thats why its confusing to me

Reply 11 of 14, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scroeffie wrote:

i also have a voodoo 3 card , correctio phil said that voodoo 2 card has good compatibility for dos gaming << wat does that mean incl 2d gaming ,2d gaming is part of dos gaming
so thats why its confusing to me

Ah. I see your confusion. Many early 3D games did run in DOS. The link below shows a list of games that run under DOS using a Voodoo card.

DOS Glide Games List

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 12 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
scroeffie wrote:

on wiki it says that the voodoo 2 can do 2d games etc also people on youtube like phil said that the voodoo 2 is good for 2d gaming

Maybe a Voodoo Banshee card can play dos games.. But an pure Voodoo2 card can only do 3D stuff.
Back in the days, the early pentium machines (pentium 75 -166mhz) did not came with an AGP interface port.. The earlier boards only did had PCI slots.

3D cards became popular when motherboards where inquipt with AGP.. But in the PCI time most people just had a plain 2D card on the PCI bus.. You had 2D cards from SIS, TSENGLABS, CIRRUSLOGIC, S3, ARK, ATI, MATROX,TRIDENT.
Most of those cards had problems to accelerate 3D images or where just to slow and crappy images. The Windows 95 era was the time of 3d graphics and mulimedia, because a 486 was to slow to do 3D graphics.
Then the company 3DFX came up, introducing the Voodoo 1 PCI card.. Promises, faster frames, smoother gameplay and nicer images.. You only had to do was to pair a voodoo 1 card with your existing 2D card.. Now the computer could do 2D and 3D.
Later came the Voodoo Rush card.. It was just simple a combined 2D card with a 3D accelerator.. Now you could do the same on one card..
Also Diamond Multimedia came on the stage.. First 3D was released as the VIPER V330 based on the RIVA 128 processor.. One of the first 3D accelerator card for the AGP slot.. It came for the PCI bus and the AGP bus..
Later the VIPER V330 was improved with the VIPER V550 based on the RIVA TNT processor.. In this time 3DFX came with a faster 3D accelerator card named as Voodoo2..
Special for the AGP interface 3DFX came up with the Diamond Banshee graphics card. It was one of the first 3DFX cards on the AGP bus.. It was a slower counter model from the Voodoo2 card.. But is also had the function to do 2D as well.. Then 3DFX came with the Voodoo 3 cards in AGP and PCI model.. And so on..

So i guess the voodoo 3 card is more compatible with dos games because its one of the older ones that could do 2d and 3d.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keeping in mind its a P3 650 here are the pros and cons

Voodoo3
In DOS the Voodoo 3 has good 2D and 3D compatibility
In Windows the Voodoo 3 has Good Glide performance
In Windows the Voodoo 3 has ok Direct 3d performance

Kyro + Voodoo 2
In DOS the kyro has ok 2D and 3D compatibility
In Windows the Voodoo 2 will look after Glide gaming, bit slower then Voodoo 3
In Windows the kyro will look after Direct 3D gaming, maybe slightly better then the voodoo 3.

The voodoo 2's desirable as you can use a fast ATI or Nvidia AGP card for 2D and strong Direct3d support, and the Voodoo2's will look after the Glide games with 2 Voodoo 2's in SLI matching a Voodoo 3 in speed.

Reply 14 of 14, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Plus the Kyro will be CPU limited in 3D games.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME