Dual Tualatin Voodoo 5500 build

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Dual Tualatin Voodoo 5500 build

Postby ac3t1ne » 2017-12-30 @ 20:40

So far I have:

Gigabyte GA-6VTXD Motherboard - chosen for its universal AGP slot and dual socket 370 Pentium 3 sockets
2 x Pentium III-S SL6BY Tualatin processors - 1.4GHz, 512kb L2 cache, 133MHz FSB the best Pentium 3 processor
4 x Kingston 512MB PC133 DDR ECC KVR133X72RC3/512 RAM - maxed out specification for the motherboard
Creative Sound Blaster Live CT4670 PCI sound card - from what I have read this should be a good option for my intended software span and it was dirt cheap
3DFX Voodoo 5500 AGP graphics card - I wanted to see what glide was all about but I also wanted to run some later games

The plan is to dual boot Windows 98 SE (with ram patch) and Windows XP to play all of my favourite childhood games, whilst having a box that is fast enough to self serve itself (at least in XP) for downloads etc. I might also use it for Visual Studio 2003 and have a go at a bit of Xbox homebrew at some point, or generally writing demo code for more limited hardware should be fun too.

I have a Seagate 7200.7 ST3120026A 120GB IDE 3.5" Hard Drive on the way for Windows 98, and i've seen a 400GB IDE drive in the window of a local shop for peanuts which should be good for XP (if it's gone by the time i'm next there I guess i'll have no choice but to spring for a 750GB from eBay.. :lol:

I realise that there are a wealth of options to implement more modern hardware into the system as far as drives and storage go, but that seems to involve yet more thought given to compatibility when buying the correct old parts should just work right? Can anyone help me out here?

I also read that my sound card should have some kind of DOS support with the right drivers, would be great to get some light shed on this too, its not a big deal as i'm a bit young to have played DOS growing up but if it can be made to work then I want to do it for obvious reasons (obvious to other people on this board I guess!).

I'd be interested also to hear any recommendations on cases, and coolers (my last order for coolers got cancelled due to the back stock being unavailable :dead: ).

Hopefully I will be able to post more soon once i'm started with the build!
ac3t1ne

Re: Dual Tualatin Voodoo 5500 build

Postby Ozzuneoj » 2017-12-30 @ 20:46

Wow, should be a nice build, but those parts must have been pretty pricey if you bought them recently! You're doing well if you have less than $350 (USD) in this system!

Also, watch the hard drive capacity. I don't know how large you can go with that Gigabyte board since it only has an ATA-100 controller. I would think that 120GB should be plenty large enough and fast enough for anything pre-2001 though. Back in those days most games came on a single 700MB CD still.

Should be a lot of fun to put together and use though. Keep us posted. :)
Time Machine = FIC PA-2013 2.1 - K6-2 500 - 256MB PC-100 - TNT2 Pro 16MB AGP - Labway Yamaha YMF719-E - Midiman MM401
Amibay For Sale Threads
I have lots of PC stuff for sale on Mercari! Get a $10 sign up credit with invite code VBGQMM.
Ozzuneoj
Oldbie

Postby ac3t1ne » 2017-12-30 @ 21:13

Ozzuneoj wrote:You're doing well if you have less than $350 (USD) in this system!

I'm not doing well :lol:

Ozzuneoj wrote:Also, watch the hard drive capacity. I don't know how large you can go with that Gigabyte board since it only has an ATA-100 controller.

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I need to know; I hadn't realised that was a thing.. My only experience with large IDE drives was on the original Xbox. I'll probably get another 120GB drive for XP then :blush:
ac3t1ne

Postby Ozzuneoj » 2017-12-30 @ 21:40

ac3t1ne wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:You're doing well if you have less than $350 (USD) in this system!

Oh, well, that happens. If you can afford it, then why not? :blush:

ac3t1ne wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:Also, watch the hard drive capacity. I don't know how large you can go with that Gigabyte board since it only has an ATA-100 controller.

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I need to know; I hadn't realised that was a thing.. My only experience with large IDE drives was on the original Xbox. I'll probably get another 120GB drive for XP then :blush:

I had to brush up on it a bit, but it seems that ATA-100 could optionally support 48bit LBA which translates to 128PB maximum drive size, but many ATA-100 controllers were limited to 137GB anyway. Probably safest to just go with a pair of 120GB drives. :)
Time Machine = FIC PA-2013 2.1 - K6-2 500 - 256MB PC-100 - TNT2 Pro 16MB AGP - Labway Yamaha YMF719-E - Midiman MM401
Amibay For Sale Threads
I have lots of PC stuff for sale on Mercari! Get a $10 sign up credit with invite code VBGQMM.
Ozzuneoj
Oldbie

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-12-31 @ 01:32

Ozzuneoj wrote:
ac3t1ne wrote:

Oh, well, that happens. If you can afford it, then why not? :blush:

ac3t1ne wrote:

I had to brush up on it a bit, but it seems that ATA-100 could optionally support 48bit LBA which translates to 128PB maximum drive size, but many ATA-100 controllers were limited to 137GB anyway. Probably safest to just go with a pair of 120GB drives. :)

If it were me, I would get a PCI SATA 150 controller and go with an SSD or 2 instead of slow IDE drives. Bootup is really, really fast with 98SE on an SSD.
cyclone3d
Oldbie

Postby ac3t1ne » 2017-12-31 @ 09:10

cyclone3d wrote:If it were me, I would get a PCI SATA 150 controller and go with an SSD or 2 instead of slow IDE drives. Bootup is really, really fast with 98SE on an SSD.

Would this just plug in and work with my motherboard?

I'm probably going to stick with the IDE drives for the same reason I want a real floppy drive (I want a PC that makes weird noises).

Even so it would be nice to understand more about this as a potential future upgrade if my drives should die?
ac3t1ne

Postby slivercr » 2017-12-31 @ 13:54

ac3t1ne wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:If it were me, I would get a PCI SATA 150 controller and go with an SSD or 2 instead of slow IDE drives. Bootup is really, really fast with 98SE on an SSD.

I'm probably going to stick with the IDE drives for the same reason I want a real floppy drive (I want a PC that makes weird noises).

Even so it would be nice to understand more about this as a potential future upgrade if my drives should die?

If you buy the appropriate controller it will be a huge upgrade. A Promise Sata150 for example: it has win98 and winxp drivers, and allows to use huge HDDs or ssds. I like the idea of using ide drives and have a couple myself in my build, but ssds are too good to not use.

Pretty nice hardware, btw! For a case, I'm all about modern cases because of better airflow and cable managing. What do you have in mind?
OutRigger: OR840 / 2x P3-S 1400 / GeForce4 Ti4600 / Voodoo2 SLI / Win98SE - Win2000
slivercr

Postby chinny22 » 2017-12-31 @ 14:44

If your going for ease You can also get adapters that allow you to use Sata drives on IDE systems, which is probably what I would do, only as 120GB sata drives are much easer to find the IDE ones.
Phil did a video on various options here.
https://youtu.be/Edmg43t28jg

Onto the PC itself, this is the second Duel CPU with a Voodoo 5500 this month, Were are they all coming from I like it!!!!
If you really want to max it out, Audigy 2 ZS was the final soundcard with Win98 support, drivers are a bit more refined then the Live and better suited to XP, Although I can imagine your wallet must be hurting a bit at the moment!

Re sound in dos, the Live should install drivers, this is a bit hit and miss, Audigy 2 doesn't have official dos drivers but you can use the Audigy ones from vogons drivers fine, You just need to manually configure them, but in all honesty I just play from within Win98 on my Duel P3 600

Case wise, I would go modern with good airflow, Multiple CPU's, HDD's and the Voodoo are very efficient heat generators.
Here is my Duel P3 for inspiration https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43399&start=20#p424463
The heatsinks don't even get warm, and the fan controller (since added to monitor temps) report the voodoos' average in the 60's celsius
chinny22
Oldbie

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-12-31 @ 16:56

ac3t1ne wrote:

Yep, just need one that has a bios on the SATA card. They will work in any PC motherboard that has a PCI slot. The computer just sees it as a SCSI card for bootup purposes. The Promise S150 cards work fine as do the Via cards. I think there is another one that works as well but I would have to dig through my cards to see what it is.
cyclone3d
Oldbie

Postby ac3t1ne » 2018-1-13 @ 09:02

My first hard drive arrived, but I also cracked and bought this:

Still not sure which direction to take..

I'm actually struggling to find an old beige case for a reasonable price which is annoying, i'm going to get a CRT for this so I thought I should get the case to match.
ac3t1ne

Postby x0zm_ » 2018-1-13 @ 10:41

Got the same controller. Haven't had any issues with it, no matter how much I seem to be abusing it. Good choice!

Win98 drivers for them seem rock solid too.
x0zm_

Return to System Specs