VOGONS

Dual Tualatin Voodoo 5500 build

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 27, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! I've noticed you have Jedi Outcast on your Windows 98 desktop. This is the game that recently made me consider upgrading my Voodoo 5 build to a single-socket Tualatin 1.4 (coming soon). The loading times on my Slot 1 are dreadful and I can't run it on high settings in any decent resolution — even though even my P3@500 is well within the recommended system requirements and Quake 3 runs beautifully on this system.

I assume if you run it under Win9x, it's only going to utilise one of your CPUs, so it's going to be comparable to the build I'm planning (albeit you have 4 times the RAM I'm going to have). Could you please tell me what kind of FPS are you getting at what settings?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22 of 27, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make a better quality video building this beast with good music and you should get allot of hits.
I would use a Lian Li aluminum case because this build is not really period correct.

I think I am going to build a PhilsComputer lab Modern parts build because good old parts are hard to find and expensive and I want a retro gaming computer to last.
https://youtu.be/9CgisEFObjA?t=1291

Nice build dave !

Reply 23 of 27, by ac3t1ne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

jheronimus, I only have Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight on there, which is the game before Jedi Outcast in the series. It runs absolutely great on the high settings but I'm not sure if that helps you because from what I remember of Jedi Outcast that is a much more modern game?

Yea Windows 98 only uses one of the CPUs from what I can see.

Intel486dx33, Thanks! I will try to increase the production values on my YouTube channel over time, I haven't really had too much experience with it yet. Yeah it's a shame I built it a bit before I decided to try making videos or I would've (and I really don't want to take it all to pieces again!), I'm sure I will do some more in depth videos though, maybe about how it runs certain games etc..

Reply 24 of 27, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ac3t1ne wrote:

jheronimus, I only have Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight on there, which is the game before Jedi Outcast in the series. It runs absolutely great on the high settings but I'm not sure if that helps you because from what I remember of Jedi Outcast that is a much more modern game?

Oh, I see. Jedi Outcast is a much newer game, yes — it's from 2002 and uses Quake 3 engine.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 25 of 27, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
ac3t1ne wrote:

Oh, I see. Jedi Outcast is a much newer game, yes — it's from 2002 and uses Quake 3 engine.

However I have been playing Jedi Outcast on a dual 1.4S recently 😀 under Win2k SP4, so both CPUs are seen but I haven't modified the JKII config file to take advantage of SMP. Using much more powerful video cards at the moment, X800/X850/6800GT, but have a V5 I can try it with too. No slowdowns at 1024x768 on high detail, but haven't gone higher as the installation isn't fully stable thanks to swapping video cards and drivers around. I also found that load times are a bit average, it's probably the Barracuda IV 20GB drive that's in it, will add in a couple of SCSI 10K drives down the track and see how that helps - well, maybe not acoustically 😀

Reply 26 of 27, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Too bad 3dfx's drivers are not SMP aware... 😳

Nice build 😀

Does not Q3 SMP only encode audio on second CPU ?
So it just makes more sense with slower SMP Systems (Dual PII / PPro )

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 27 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:
Too bad 3dfx's drivers are not SMP aware... :O […]
Show full quote

Too bad 3dfx's drivers are not SMP aware... 😳

Nice build 😀

Does not Q3 SMP only encode audio on second CPU ?
So it just makes more sense with slower SMP Systems (Dual PII / PPro )

i doubt it even makes sense then, but thats not the point!