VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, you have to be quite quiet addict 🤣

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22 of 40, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nick4 wrote:
Srandista wrote:

Man, you have to be quite quiet addict 🤣

Yep, I`m silence maniac=)

Too bad there is no easy way to measure Pentium MMX cpu temperature, may be I could go fanless.

If you don't plan to overclock, maybe you could. And if possible even undervolt the processor > for a temperature decrease.

I have even used a 166 MMX without heatsink for 1h+/no crashes. 😉

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 23 of 40, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really nice old system. But one thing missing instead of only "— Get period correct speakers " in order to get the ultimate period correct 1997 year machine, you need to remove the case, the monitor, and i think the mouse too, and put some nice old CRT monitor, and old case as well, you can use Compaq, DELL, HP or IBM OEM case, it will be way better.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 24 of 40, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Radical Vision wrote:

Really nice old system. But one thing missing instead of only "— Get period correct speakers " in order to get the ultimate period correct 1997 year machine, you need to remove the case, the monitor, and i think the mouse too, and put some nice old CRT monitor, and old case as well, you can use Compaq, DELL, HP or IBM OEM case, it will be way better.

Don't forget period-correct food, TV shows, period-correct parents and if possible, make yourself 20 years younger as well! 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 25 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:

I wanted to get as close as possible to "period correctness" using new old stock external hardware (case, cd-rom, etc). So this is best, what I found.=) I am still looking for nice 1990`s AT case, but it is literally impossible to find NOS, or in good condition, especially in my location. And branded computers was not common here, it is even harder to find.
About the monitor... I`d like to get CRT, but unfortunately I do not have enough room for it.
Mouse should be period correct, I remember this things were pretty common in 97-98.

So, my main point is to get "like new" retro look and feel machine, not 100% period correct=)

dr_st wrote:

Don't forget period-correct food, TV shows, period-correct parents and if possible, make yourself 20 years younger as well! 🤣

That would be awesome! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 26 of 40, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

That case is just gorgeous!

I agree, that case is "to die for"! Seen alot of Inwin models lately that are good looking but most them seem to be endangered species.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 29 of 40, by Wolven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet build. Nice to see a long time project come together like this.

I'm generally not very fond of beige cases, but this one looks really nice. Who cares if it's a bit modern, unless being period correct is really important for you. I think the flat screen complements the build too. It looks good and saves space on the desktop.

Adding that 80mm fan is a good solution. I hate the whine of small fans too. I'd probably go with an 120mm fan, maybe running at 7 volts, just to make it even more quite.

Loving that case badge too, nice finishing touch.

Reply 30 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wolven wrote:
Sweet build. Nice to see a long time project come together like this. […]
Show full quote

Sweet build. Nice to see a long time project come together like this.

I'm generally not very fond of beige cases, but this one looks really nice. Who cares if it's a bit modern, unless being period correct is really important for you. I think the flat screen complements the build too. It looks good and saves space on the desktop.

Adding that 80mm fan is a good solution. I hate the whine of small fans too. I'd probably go with an 120mm fan, maybe running at 7 volts, just to make it even more quite.

Loving that case badge too, nice finishing touch.

Thank you for your appreciation!

It`s 92 mm fan=) 120 mm would be better and there is no problem to mount in in that place. First I planned to mount it at standart place for 92 mm fan at back of the case, so bought 92 mm=) But it is fine too.

Reply 32 of 40, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can’t imagine drilling it going so well, unless you were able to clamp it very firmly between 2 hunks of wood to stop the tin from ripping / warping. I wonder if you can get a punch of some kind? Getting it centred will also be a challenge - let us know how it goes!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 33 of 40, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice build. God i love the picture of your desk, such beigeness!! The Speakers fit in very nicely too, but aren't period correct, of course.

My biggest gripe is your monitor. I assume it can't even do proper 70Hz in VGA games. Check with Epic Pinball (Shareware is ok) and when exiting the game, look at the credits and how they scroll. Eventually you will throw the monitor out of the window by then.

If you want to stay with TFT i can recommend Eizo's 15" L365 from 2001 with TN-Panel. Looks pretty retro (and not so small for a 15" display) and the DOS/VGA performance is just gorgeous. Very fast response times, good scaling and proper handling of refresh rates!

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 37 of 40, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Clamp it to a piece of wood and use a stepped bit IMO

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 39 of 40, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's an awesome build Nick4!

Nick4 wrote:

Got this cooler new old stock. This is some generic socket 7 cooler. The stock fan was too loud, replaced it with Scythe Mini Kaze 50 mm, but it is loud too. Looking for a solution.

Not the same CPU but a similar cooler: for my Athlon XP I bought a bunch of second hand ventirads until I could get a cooler with a decent, not too noisy fan, and then I used a speed reducer (basically a resistor on the +12V line) to bring the noise down to almost unnoticeable levels. You can also manually solder a resistor on the 12V line, you may have to try and experiment with different values to find a good compromise between cooling/noise. Also putting some WD-40 in the fan itself helped quite a bit with the noise.

Something else I've tried is to go fanless for the CPU together with underclocking, and use the airflow from the read fan for cooling. It worked very well as well.