VOGONS

First post, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve got my first computer in late 1997. It was 486DX2 machine with insane 20 Mb of RAM and 512 Mb HDD. And my dream machine at that time was Pentium 200 MMX, but I never got it. So I decided to make my dream come true 20 years later =)
I wanted period correct performance, but also I wanted “like new” appearance and comfort to use machine. So it is not 100% period correct build, uses some compromises and newer hardware, but looks new and retro at same time=)

System specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium MMX 200 MHz
MB: Asus TXP4 Motherboard
RAM: 32 Mb
Video: S3 Virge DX + Diamond Monster 3D 3Dfx Voodoo 4mb
Audio: Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA
HDD: 4 Gb CompactFlash (CF to IDE Adapter)
Network: Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI
CD: Asus CD-S520/A5
FDD: NEC 3,5"
PSU: Chieftec GPA-350S ATX
Case: InWin V-551 mATX

Case & PSU:
New old stock InWin V-551 mATX case. I think it is 2003-2005, so it would be better for PIII-PIV build, but it is the best what i could find new. Still looks pretty retro=)
CnWWDZnl.jpg

This case doesn`t have mounting holes for baby-AT motherboard, so i had to do it myself.

Manage cables like it is 1997!
J0kOgojl.jpg

Also no i/o shield and only 4 extension slots.
jk7KI7ym.jpg

Asus TXP4 have both AT and ATX connectors, so i`ve got new Chieftec GPA-350S ATX PSU. The stock fan was too loud and i replaced it with Scythe Slip Stream 120 mm 800 rpm fan.

CPU Cooler
Got this cooler new old stock. This is some generic socket 7 cooler. The stock fan was too loud, replaced it with Scythe Mini Kaze 50 mm, but it is loud too. Looking for a solution.
58QgKz3l.jpg

Storage
Got Asus CD-S520/A5 CD-ROM, NEC FDD and mobile rack, all new old stock. All 2004. Mobile rack adds some retro touch, i think=)
dZIDwy5l.jpg

I use CF to IDE Adapter with 4 GB CompactFlash card in mobile rack. So i have easy access to CF at front of the case and adapter does not occupy extension slot.
qxi8QFRm.jpg

Mouse
Microsoft OEM Mouse PS/2 with ball, new old stock.
jw0r2rIm.jpg

Keyboard
BTC 5140 DIN keyboard. Got it in very nasty condition. Couple hours of cleaning/washing and it is much better. Plastic is biege, but i think it is original color, cause it is the same inside.
I like the layout of this keyboard, but want to replace it with Microsoft Natural Keyboard, when i find one new or in excellent condition.
XG2UDcSl.jpg

Monitor
Nec MultiSync LCD 1770NX. This is 2005 monitor. Not new, but in excellent condition. Of course, i`d like to get CRT monitor, but i don`t have room for it. And period correct LCD monitors are crap=)
In 2005 it costed $550, now i`ve got it for 15 bucks in thrift shop=)
cA9c9Pdl.jpg

Final look

p3DHsV2l.jpg

It took 6 months to find all hardware and build this machine. I like retro look and feel, also i like new old stock hardware i used.
The speakers is Yamaha NX-50. This is modern speakers, but looks pretty oldschool and sounds great=)

What i want to do next:
— Replace S3 Virge with some real GPU=) Diamond Monster 3D card was added
— Get Microsoft Natural Keyboard Done
— Make the CPU cooler silent Done
— DIY i/o shield
— Get period correct speakers Done
— Replace black VGA and power cables with grey ones

PS. Sorry for my english, it is not my native language=)

Last edited by Nick4 on 2018-08-22, 10:29. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 40, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Impressive!!! It's a very beautiful and clean case.

Looks like it is bought directly in 97/98.
I like the solution with the CF inside the 5 1/4 bay.

A Voodoo 1 would be a good upgrade.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 2 of 40, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That build looks sexy as.

Nick4 wrote:
What i want to do next: — Replace S3 Virge with some real GPU=) — Get Microsoft Natural Keyboard — Make the CPU cooler silent — […]
Show full quote

What i want to do next:
— Replace S3 Virge with some real GPU=)
— Get Microsoft Natural Keyboard
— Make the CPU cooler silent
— DIY i/o shield
— Get period correct speakers
— Replace black VGA and power cables with grey ones

PS. Sorry for my english, it is not my native language=)

I'd keep the Virge as it's fantastic for DOS. If you want to focus on DOS gaming, add a Voodoo. If you want to focus on Windows, add a V2 and/or a PCX2.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
melbar wrote:
Impressive!!! It's a very beautiful and clean case. […]
Show full quote

Impressive!!! It's a very beautiful and clean case.

Looks like it is bought directly in 97/98.
I like the solution with the CF inside the 5 1/4 bay.

A Voodoo 1 would be a good upgrade.

gdjacobs wrote:

I'd keep the Virge as it's fantastic for DOS. If you want to focus on DOS gaming, add a Voodoo. If you want to focus on Windows, add a V2 and/or a PCX2.

Thank you!

I think i`ll get Voodoo 1 soon. Also i think about Riva TNT or ATI Rage, cause if i install Voodoo, i`ll need to remove network card.

Reply 4 of 40, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a great machine! Well presented too. 😀

I dunno why I never thought of that idea of using a mobile rack / removable hard drive bay to conveniently accommodate a CF to IDE converter, but I like it! Will probably use that same idea myself in one or two of my builds. 😉

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 5 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gered wrote:

This is a great machine! Well presented too. 😀

I dunno why I never thought of that idea of using a mobile rack / removable hard drive bay to conveniently accommodate a CF to IDE converter, but I like it! Will probably use that same idea myself in one or two of my builds. 😉

Thank you!

Yeah, this is very convenient=) Especially when you have limit of extension slots=)

Reply 6 of 40, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agree on keeping the Virge DX, especially if this is a pure DOS PC. The TNT or Rage will not be noticeably better than the Virge in DOS, but if you plan on spending time in Windows, then I can see the benefit with early 3D games. But if you're pure DOS, then I agree with gdjacobs - keep the Virge, add a Voodoo1, and as long as it doesn't hurt you, remove the network adapter to make room for the Voodoo.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cant believe you got a boy mouse (ball mouse) I really don't miss those things!

I got some small noctua fans for a switch, still noisy, once you get to a certain size you just cant avoid it. if you run at full speed anyway.
You can probably get away with slowing the fan down and really good airflow around the CPU/Heartsick with a larger quieter fan. That case has much better airflow then anything from the period.

Reply 9 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

I cant believe you got a boy mouse (ball mouse) I really don't miss those things!

I got some small noctua fans for a switch, still noisy, once you get to a certain size you just cant avoid it. if you run at full speed anyway.
You can probably get away with slowing the fan down and really good airflow around the CPU/Heartsick with a larger quieter fan. That case has much better airflow then anything from the period.

In 90`s I hated ball mouses. Got optical in 2000 and was so happy with that. But now I want authentic experience)) Also, new ball mouse with proper mouse pad isn`t that bad)

I tried low noise adapter from Noctua fan. It makes it silent, but i`m not sure about cpu temperature. I think i`ll use this adapter and add intake fan.

derSammler wrote:

That case is just gorgeous!

Thank you!

Last edited by Nick4 on 2018-01-12, 22:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 10 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Peripheral update:

Got Microsoft Natural Keyboard.

In 1997 I saw it only at Windows 95 wallpaper=) And dreamed about it=)

As always, absolutely disgusting condition:
Bds4fzHm.jpg

Fully disassembling and cleaning that with everything what i`ve got:
YQ6ALiCm.jpg

Done:
ZsA5Wgtm.jpg

Requires some retrobright, i`ll apply it in summer.

Damn, this thing is massive! And extremely comfort to type. Still hoping to find it new old stock.

Reply 11 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The most wanted upgrade:

Finally, I`ve got 3Dfx Voodoo 4Mb.

Diamond Monster 3D:
KxRaOvCl.jpg

Installed in case. I had to remove network card to install Voodoo. mATX cases isn`t good for baby-AT MB=)
VoT97chl.jpg

I was lucky enough to get Voodoo card with original cable:
Zgf06dIl.jpg

Just tried it in few games (like Quake 2, POD Gold etc) — it`s outstanding=)
I`ll give it a good testing in games and benchmarks and post some results=)

Reply 13 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I am REALLY suspicious of people that have desks THAT clean. like seriously.

I am REALLY suspicious of people that can`t give 20 minutes to clean up their mess before taking photos.

Reply 15 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get to a stage where I cant find anything and do a big clean up and put everything away, find what I want but then spend the next few months not being about to find anything because I don't know where I decided "away" is

Think the Voodoo is a good choice. I got a 16MB TNT end of 1998 based on a friends recommendation. (I didn't know much about "modern hardware then. I still using a VLB/ISA 486 with no exposure to PCI, 3d cards, etc)
It was a good card for the time, but for now a voodoo is much more special.

Reply 16 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Think the Voodoo is a good choice. I got a 16MB TNT end of 1998 based on a friends recommendation. (I didn't know much about "modern hardware then. I still using a VLB/ISA 486 with no exposure to PCI, 3d cards, etc)
It was a good card for the time, but for now a voodoo is much more special.

I think I`ll get Riva 128 or TNT to compare Direct3D and Glide =) But can`t find a PCI version...

Reply 17 of 40, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nick4 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I am REALLY suspicious of people that have desks THAT clean. like seriously.

I am REALLY suspicious of people that can`t give 20 minutes to clean up their mess before taking photos.

I love the neatness myself. 😀

Nick4 wrote:

BTC 5140 DIN keyboard. Got it in very nasty condition. Couple hours of cleaning/washing and it is much better. Plastic is biege, but i think it is original color, cause it is the same inside.
I like the layout of this keyboard

This is the best layout (big Enter, big Backspace, big Left Shift). All other layouts mess one of the three. Unfortunately, this layout is not standardized, so few keyboards use it (and none of them on laptops).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 18 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

This is the best layout (big Enter, big Backspace, big Left Shift). All other layouts mess one of the three. Unfortunately, this layout is not standardized, so few keyboards use it (and none of them on laptops).

Agreed! I have never seen this layout on modern keyboards.

Reply 19 of 40, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tired of noisy CPU fan. Can`t play more than one hour with this noise.

Just got Noctua NF-A9 FLX.

JRMhQyXm.jpg

7NPeKA0m.jpg

It has two low noise adapters in box, so I used one for CPU cooler and one for Noctua fan. First I mounted it at the back of the case, but seems it is useless in that position — too far from CPU.
So I decided to mount it in front of the CPU, using zip ties:

AdYy3JJl.jpg

Not super ellegant, but gets the job done. Its quite and cool now. CPU radiator is barely warm after an hour playing Quake 2 and Ultimate Race Pro.