VOGONS

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently posted a picture of this system in the dumpster find thread... after clearing the house some to accommodate the little one's new toys and a trip to the local recycling centre later. My better half allowed me to have this new toy for myself, and since I've never owned an XT before, this was gratefully accepted from the universe... thank you!

Truth be told, this actually required two trips to the centre... on the first trip finding the desktop base and keyboard. It was not until we got home and I had a proper look at it, that I realised this was no ordinary XT, no. This was an Amstrad 1512, that has proprietary PSU/14 DIN cable, proprietary CGA/9 DIN cable, and if that's not enough.... proprietary keyboard and mouse!

aaec9d718989013.jpg

Ok, so I though to myself... I have the desktop... and I have a keyboard... ... ... somethings missing! 😒 ... So sure enough, another trip back to the centre, the day after finding the desktop... and very very luckily enough, there was the monitor, and cables... over near the TV area! It of course needed a new plug fitted which I did with my daughter watching, hopefully learning, to then put it all together to get...

20863e718989533.jpgb68cd3718988183.jpg

Quite pleased with it considering it was a freebie! Unfortunate that the monitor is Monochrome... but I will of course not complain, just happy to find! Next step will be to upload system files onto the disk so that the system will boot and i'll look to get some games for it, earlier ones that will run... such as prince of Persia and Maniac Mansion. If anyone knows of any other games that will run on an XT... I'm all eyes!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool machine! 😎 Long long ago, my father had got the Schneider version of it (he upgraded from 8086 to NEC V30).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, aren't those 8MHz 8086s? At least the successor 1640 was, I can't imagine this is any different. This is a very sought after machine (ok not with the mono monitor but still), give it a good treat.

Reply 5 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ynari wrote:

The obvious ones to run are the small number than support the 1512's proprietary 16 colour CGA mode!

Afaik, that mode is Plantronics, not proprietary.

And yes, it should be powered by a 8086, not 8088.

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

very lucky to find anything decent let alone an XT AND THEN to be lucky enough to find matching screen, AND not even on the same day.
Not to mention they let you take it away. Very nice save indeed