p3 1.jpg
Filename
p3 1.jpg
File size
234.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...which is a Japanese OEM MicroATX system that included a Japanese PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, all documentation, driver CD, Japanese Windows 98SE OEM version (+ key and boot floppy), Windows companion CD, and two of the original boxes. Some more pictures:

p3 2.jpg
Filename
p3 2.jpg
File size
107.78 KiB
Views
File license
p3 5.jpg
Filename
p3 5.jpg
File size
96.2 KiB
Views
File license
p3 9.jpg
Filename
p3 9.jpg
File size
131.85 KiB
Views
File license

What's actually in the case is a Asus Cusi-M Micro ATX board with integrated sound (CMI 8738SX) and network card (including boot ROM), with 3 PCI slots, one AMR slot, a Pentium 3 1 GHz processor, 128 Mb RAM, integrated AGP video, a Samsung 52 speed CD drive, floppy drive, and dead hard disk. The case itself is quite nice.

Reply 1 of 1, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Originally I had planned to use this system's mainboard to replace My Gateway GP-6's mainboard, but I would also have had to swap the power supply, and the one in this case is a special format. So instead it becomes a separate project.

My first act was to take out the mounting frames for the CD-drive and floppy/hard disk drives. The case insides are quite tight and stuff just fits. Here's the floppy/hard disk mounting frame, with the very dead 40 Gb Samsung Spinpoint hard disk in front of it:

IMG_9227.jpg
Filename
IMG_9227.jpg
File size
186.04 KiB
Views
File license

Then I set out testing the rest of the system:

IMG_9223.jpg
Filename
IMG_9223.jpg
File size
157.88 KiB
Views
File license

The CD drive works, and so does the floppy disk drive. The original 128 Mb of RAM was augmented with a 64 Mb module from the Gateway GP-6 (since that system's mainboard is toast), and then later on I swapped the 128 Mb with a 256 Mb module that was in my Pentium II system (and only got half-recognized in the PII). In this system that 256 Mb module is fully seen, so now I have two systems with 320 Mb of RAM each.

Then I rerouted the IDE cables so I could later add a CF adapter to the end of the secondary IDE channel cable:

IMG_9224.jpg
Filename
IMG_9224.jpg
File size
162.03 KiB
Views
File license

But wait! A P3 system should be powerful enough for DVD playback, right? I still had a untested Toshiba Samsung DVD drive, which hard-locked my Pentium II system when it was installed in that system:

IMG_9228.jpg
Filename
IMG_9228.jpg
File size
135.82 KiB
Views
File license

Turns out it works fine in the Pentium 3 system. It's also a bit shorter than the original CD drive, so it will fit better. And the black front panel will fit in nicely with the black part of the front bezel:

IMG_9225.jpg
Filename
IMG_9225.jpg
File size
146.3 KiB
Views
File license

I'll just have to check whether the button for the door is located in the right spot.