VOGONS

First post, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the 90's! I was 10yo when they started, I was 20yo when they ended (duh). So I just adore ms-dos gaming. But imagine being a kid or a teen, having a blast on your 386/486... And then Quake is released, and then 3dfx releases voodoo... and you get a brand new pentium that same year for christmas? That is what I call perfect timing.

So, I wish to build a 1996 top hardware PC and I'll be writing down the log here on Vogons, where else?
Every suggestion is welcome 😀 Here's a clip from a 1996 magazine, issue of december:

156eqkx.png

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 3 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
harddrivespin wrote:

Intel Pentium 200mhz for all.... hmmm... why no K5s?

Well, the fastest K5 available at the time was the K5 133 and that was brand new (released in early October 1996). If said magazine article was written sometime in the early to mid November in order to hit the December issue of the magazine, it's easy to see why no system was perhaps available with said CPU. Even if it was available and installed on a system, a K5 133 was much slower than a Pentium 200.

A more appropriate question would perhaps be " Why no P166 and Cyrix PR166+/PR200+ ? " 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will remember to install season games, nice touch, thanks.

I took it from a Computer Gaming World article " Killer PCs! Top Systems face off for the Ultimate Game Rig." So maybe that is why no other CPUs. Christmas 1996 the Pentium 200MHz was the fastest. No MMX, no 6x86 Cyrix. I guess there isn't much to consider regarding the parts to look for for this build. Allthough I was surprised to see 17'' monitors, and also... could you not buy a Sound Blaster AWE64 in the xmas96?

149.jpg

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 5 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1996 was probably my favourite year as well. I never did understand the push for 33.6 modems compared to 28.8. Did many dial-up ISPs even bother to upgrade their systems to 33.6? The gain was so small. I had a 33.6 modem but never was able to connect above 26.7.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 7, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice idea, i don`t have space here, otherwise i will make many sockets/platforms, and even years..
Better look to find some Quantum HDD will be really nice. Also look the spec for every single PC and try to find the best parts, bcuz one of them have Harmon/JBL speakers, other have Quantum HDD, and will be nice to mix them up, bcuz there is no perfect system till you make one, like i did with my 462 system..

Interesting to see Nokia monitor there, as i did saw 1-2 in second hand PC shops.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088