VOGONS

First post, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update 3/24/2018: The KT7A rig now runs a Thoroughbred 2100+ at its native 1733 MHz. The installation went without a hitch with an assistant to help me with the clips. I'm getting massive improvements in CPU bound games like Doom 3 and Quake II with Qbism's software renderer.

This is my project thread for FUNKENSTEIN_3D, my highly versatile and extremely temperamental socket A Windows/DOS machine, built to roughly 2003-era specifications. It runs most games from 1990 up to 2003 well except for some troublesome DOS and Windows 9x games (and many of the 9x games will work when I finalize my hardware configuration and configure Windows 98, which has never been fully booted). It struggles with CPU-intensive games like Unreal Tournament 2004, Doom 3, and Quake II with Qbism's colored lighting software renderer. However, it also likes to corrupt its BIOS settings and stop booting until they're reset. I expected this computer to be easy to work with, but it's not. I guess that's what you get when you buy a VIA chipset to run software 2003-era computers were never meant to run.

Build specs:
Chenbro SR209 beige ATX server case
Abit KT7A KT133A motherboard with modded KT7ASB4 BIOS
AMD Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2100+ @ 1733 MHz
Startech socket A heat sink
Corsair RMi 750x 750W ATX PSU (overall wattage is overkill, but I might need the 150W on the 3.3V and 5V rails)
1.5GB PC133 SDRAM (will remove two of the three DIMM modules for Windows 98 installation until the high-memory patch is applied)
nVidia GeForce FX 5900 128MB
Genius A151-A00 (Yamaha OPL3-SA3) ISA sound card
Startech PCIUSB7 USB 2.0 controller card
Sound Blaster AWE64 Value ISA sound card
Aureal Vortex Advantage AU8810 PCI sound card
TEAC FD-235 3.5" floppy disk drive
Apple 678T0191 6X IDE DVD-ROM drive (thanks to SW-SSG for reassuring me this is a generic unit and not some special Mac-only drive)
PCI CompactFlash rear bracket, 2 swappable 16 GB CompactFlash cards (boot disks)
40 GB WD Caviar IDE hard drive
Netgear FA31105 10/100Mbps NIC
Logitech MX518 optical mouse with PS/2 adapter
Dell Bigfoot AT101W PS/2 keyboard (black Alps)
Sun Microsystems GDM-5010PT 21" Trinitron CRT monitor
Windows XP Professional and Windows 98 Second Edition on HDD, MS-DOS 6.0 and and FreeDOS 1.2 on bootable CF cards.

Planned:
3DFX Voodoo2 PCI 3D accelerator slaved to the nVidia FX 5900
Noctua 60mm and 80mm fans to make it quiet

Possible:
AMD Athlon XP Barton 3000+ or higher with the conductive paint mod and Zalman 5000S cooler

Current state of the machine:
N3hkyxTh.jpg

Photos of some of the parts--hopefully I can assemble and photograph the system this weekend:

ZVKNS1Mh.jpg
Motherboard, processor, RAM (all assembled), I/O shield, CF card (in packaging), PSU, floppy drive, CF adapter, DVD drive, NIC.
WxBZMrSh.jpg
The case in its box.

Last edited by Woolie Wool on 2018-03-25, 16:47. Edited 18 times in total.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 1 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like it will be a pretty sweet retro system. If you find you need more CPU speed for some reason, you can put flash a modified BIOS that adds Barton support. And with a socket wire mod, you can use the higher multipliers and get up to ~2.4Ghz with a mobile Barton CPU.

When I got my NOS KT7A board, the first time I powered it up, a good number of the capacitors exploded. If the caps have not been replaced on that board, do not be one bit surprised if they are bad.

They are easy to replace though, so not a huge deal.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 38, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's done!

ctFWbvWh.jpg
J1ykEVKh.jpg dat ass
sYTxyzbh.jpg
Xs4I5r8h.jpg
Inside (click to embiggen)

The GeForce FX died a few seconds after I turned it on so it temporarily has a GeForce 2 MX sourced from my now-gutted Dell Dimension until I can buy a graphics card that does not suck. The case was a pain to build in and I hate the plastic toolless card retainers that are like the saddest, flimsiest, cheapest bolt actions in the world, but it looks the part.

It runs but Windows XP setup doesn't seem to recognize the IDE flash bracket even though the BIOS does. I'm going to install Windows XP on the hard drive for now just to make sure the hardware works.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 4 of 38, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh that case makes me moist. I love Supermicro boards and cases.

Also, holy fucking overkill on that power supply. But you already mentioned that.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 38, by Blzut3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Oh that case makes me moist. I love Supermicro boards and cases.

Did Supermicro also make this chassis? I can't be sure, but I think Chenbro makes their own cases.

luckybob wrote:

Also, holy fucking overkill on that power supply. But you already mentioned that.

It may say 750W on it, but in retro terms that's a 250-280W PSU. 😜

Reply 7 of 38, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea. I often wonder about the feasibility of building a 12v to 5v/3.3v "helper" power supply. I did something similar with my file server.

I guess that isn't a supermicro chassis. Its close: https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4 … /SC742T-650.cfm

Reply 9 of 38, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a nice build you got there, always nice to see an overlooked processor architecture get some attention once again, the back of your case reminds me of the beige Dell Dimension towers.

Reply 10 of 38, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really nice machine, but the PSU is no no no, better try to find old one, as this does not fit at all on the theme of the parts and time...
For example look on old HP, Compaq workstations they have Delta PSU on them, that are more then well made...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 12 of 38, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:

Really nice machine, but the PSU is no no no, better try to find old one, as this does not fit at all on the theme of the parts and time...
For example look on old HP, Compaq workstations they have Delta PSU on them, that are more then well made...

The very last piece of vintage computing equipment I'll trust is a PSU. I've seen way too many of them die.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 13 of 38, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want your build to have original look they are must have..
Also if you are talking about Power units like Codegen, KME, JNC and such crap yeah they die way easy then most others, while the Delta units are very well made from the HP workstations they have even japan caps and are very high quality ones so they just don`t die easy. Or the old EnermaX ones, they are very well made too.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 14 of 38, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Woolie Wool wrote:
Radical Vision wrote:

The very last piece of vintage computing equipment I'll trust is a PSU. I've seen way too many of them die.

There are pliantly of good old PSU's out there. Some newer ones that are far worse then some older PSU's.
Id say get a good brand, like a SPI, EnermaX or higher end Delta. Or at lest get a smaller PSU that fits the build better. That thing is a monster in the case.

Reply 15 of 38, by Blzut3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

yea. I often wonder about the feasibility of building a 12v to 5v/3.3v "helper" power supply. I did something similar with my file server.

Out of curiosity what did you do for your file server? For some reason I didn't think about it before but this product actually kind of already exists for 5V anyway. In the car PC space there are DC/DC cards that can take 12V and if I'm reading the specs right put out 160W of 5V. Which would actually be great for socket A. As long as 5VSB is coming from the real power supply I can't think of why it wouldn't work. If only they had a 3.3V mode.

Reply 16 of 38, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought 12 of the 2 amp 12v to 5v converters from china for like .75 each. I then used some pci-e power extensions and sata power spliters to wire up 2 hard drives to each converter. I did this for 24 hard drives. Its worked perfect for 8-ish months now.

Reply 17 of 38, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The chinese dc-dc buck converters sold on ebay have adjustable output voltages and are usually built with the components from the sample circuit in the IC mfg's datasheet. Things to be mindful of are that you go out of ATX spec since it's not going to be part of PWR_ON and PWR_OK since it's an additional step after 12V stabilizes. Also you add in more switching noise to the system.

Reply 18 of 38, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I'm running the converters at 25-33% of their power. So I'm not driving these things hard by any means. i'm also just putting these into cheap hard drives. I put a big filter cap on both sides as well as a quick acting fuse. So if something goes horribly wrong, each converter will only eat 2 drives. And my raid is setup where I can lose 2 drives per array before shit gets serious.

Honestly modern power supplies are doing the same thing. The super efficient ones will generate 100% of their power as +12v, THEN make 5v and 3.3v from that. So, in theory, these manufactureres can make power supplies with high 3.3v & 5v rails by just dropping in more dc-dc converters.

Reply 19 of 38, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes they're designed that way today, but they're sold as white box tested solutions. Nothing should go wrong with the ebay devices, but if it does a proper PSU would be cheaper than test equipment to troubleshoot.