VOGONS

My 486sx

Topic actions

First post, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, this is my first post here. 😀

In 1994, when I was a kid, I received my first computer, 486sx 25 mhz in this case:
DLtOESU.jpg
It had nothing particularly special inside, 8MB ram, hercules graphics card, 3,5" floppy drive and 80MB HDD. Recently I decided to upgrade it a bit.
I installed new 286 system in this 5150' s case, but it is a different story to tell.
I always dreamed about a case with turbo button and LED display showing the processor's speed, so I got one 😀 😀
lEZSwfm.jpg
Q29cIdn.jpg
What' s inside now?
- PSU: standard 230W AT power supply, nothing fancy here.
- Motherboard: OPTi-495SLC-3 http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UN … 86WB-CACHE.html . It is the original one. Overall, it is quite nice mobo, with ability to support both 386 and 486 cpus, has 2 VLB and 7 ISA slots, and it does not have fake cache.I removed the original barrel battery and I soldered socket for standard coin battery. Unfortunately, CR2022 battery is 3V instead of original 3,6v. In result, although it keeps BIOS settings, due to low voltage the real time clock is not working properly - it works in "slow motion" mode. I have to find proper, 3,6V coin battery. In original, it had 128KB L2 cache, so installed bit more, so now it has 256KB.
- CPU: Intel 486sx 25 mhz. I have a working 486dx2 @ 66mhz, but for some reason the motherboard does not accept it, with any jumper configuration. I tried to diagnose problem by using ISA diagnostic card, but it gave me "FF" code - the same as when I turn it on without CPU installed. Craving for speed, I overclocked this 486 to 33mhz via jumpers - it is rock solid and stable with heatsink and fan on it.
- Memory: In past, it had 8MB RAM (8x1MB 30-pin SIMMS). I expanded it to 20MB with four 4MB modules.
- PC speaker: Sometimes I was getting annoyed by loud PC speaker-using games, so I connected it to 10Kohm potentiometer, and mounted it in 3,5 bay cower - now I can change its volumne whenever I want.
- Drives and I/O controller: In original, it had no-name ISA single-channel HDD controller. I replaced it with VLB PTI 255-W, which is a buffered controller and has two IDE channels, so I could add secondary hard drive and CD-ROM. Although I have drivers for this controller, these are conflicting with installed drive overlay software, so I used Drive Rocket driver to make it a bit faster. It also gives me LPT1, COM1 and COM 2 ports.
- HDD 1: Quantum Fireball EL2,5A. A 2,1GB drive, working as a primary master and holder of my stuff. It is detected properly in BIOS, but DOS 6 does not recognize full capacity of the drive, so I used Drive Overlay driver. Yeah, I know, this drive is a bit overkill, but still it is almost full of games and software.
- HDD 2: Compact Flash Card, Transcend Industrial with 1GB capacity. That is connected via CF card adapter mounted in a bracket and it is working as a primary slave drive. I forgot that DOS does not recognize drives bigger than +/- 500MB 😕 so I just formatted it as a 504MB drive. It works well as a "pendrive". Although I cannot remove it when the computer is turned on, it is still much easier to connect CF card to my modern computer and just copy files to it, then put it back in 486 and turn it on. 500MB is plenty.
- DVD drive: XJ-HD166S, connected as a secondary master. It does not work properly, probably because the controller does not cooperate with optical drives well. It is being detected, and I am able to use CD player applications, as well as view some small text files or images. But for some reason it is corrupting data when I am trying to copy files bigger than about 100KB. I was trying with several different CD (from 8x to 52x speed) and DVD drives, with a similar results. I also tried connecting it to IDE port on the different sound cards, and it was either not detected or it was detected, but I was unable to even use CD player, so I let it as it is. When I really need to use CD-ROM for gaming, I just copy files to CF card and use FakeCD driver.
- Floppy drives: Just standard 3,5" 1,44MB and 5,25" 1,2MB floppies here.
- Graphics card: Because the motherboard has VLB slots, I decided to install Miro Crystal 8S VLB card, with 1MB RAM and sockets for additional 1MB. It is based on S3 805. It was not working in Windows 3.11 with original drivers (for unknown reason), but luckily it works OK with generic S3 drivers. Then I had another problem: the monitor (23" LG M2382, LCD) was giving "out of range" message when I tried to set resolution higher than 800x600. So i started experimenting with switches on graphics card, changing its frequency. Luckily, I found working one: it gets proper display on "48KHZ" mode. I also decided to keep original hercules card inside just in case if I ever want to have fun with 5151:
Y9eorN0.jpg
Also it allows me to use LPT2 port.
- Sound card: Currently I am using Yamaha OPL3-SAx card. Quite a nice one, with low noise and compatible with 99% of games. It did not want to work in Windows 3.11 with dedicated drivers, but it behaves well since I instaled drivers for Sound Blaster Pro. I am planning to add Gravis Ultrasound in future.
- Network card: 3COM Etherlink III. Surprisingly, the least troublesome piece of hardware. It was detected instantly by Windows 3.11 and works without any issues in pure DOS.
Q5qlYks.jpg

I am not happy with current messy cable setting inside the case, but unfortunately VLB slots are on the bottom, so IDE cables are covering everything. 😒
gWb3eyN.jpg

Also some screen from Windows 3.11 in 1024x768:
Sqg1F1y.jpg

And some stats from Sysspeed. Benchmarks are probably not accurate due to RTC working inaccurately:
HVPreXz.gif

Sorry if I made some mistakes, english is not my native language.

Reply 2 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome! A great first lost as well - I also mount pots to adjust speaker volume 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I liked the case badge as well 😉
I've only ever used Dos 6.22 but I would think you should be able to recognise upto 2GB Fat16 drives. You could try a later fdisk version say Win98 on a boot disk.
Your installed OS wont mind if you used a later version to create the partitions.
I can imagine your controller is actually limiting it. My 486 can detect upto 8GB drives but refuses to boot with any HDD above 6GB, even if its just the data drive.

Bonus points for networking Win 3.11 as well! I feel a certain achievement doing that on my computers, its also how I transfer files between my pc's (and if I'm honest the only real reason I go into windows)

Reply 4 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard! 😁

I wonder if anyone still has a working 486SX-16 😁

I really like your AT minitower with the LED display and the rocker 😜
230W is actually pretty good for an AT PSU. Standard ones were usually 200W, sometimes 150W or so. I'm not sure how much this actually matters though, the quality of these PSUs seemed a bit sketchy at times.

It seems there's some black-ish dust on the bottom ribs on the front bezel, but the insides look pretty clean.

Don't worry too much about the cable management, it's not as important for these older computers. Usually AT PSUs used fans that were running at 100% speed continuously and if you really get worried about some heat problem, you could shoehorn a fan into the front of the case (or just leave the side panel off), but I doubt this will ever be needed in any normal conditions.

And your English is pretty good, there's many non-native English speakers here.
Actually, I think this makes things more interesting here 😜

Is your board a 386/486 combo board? I regret having binned mine.
I'm not sure what to do to try and fix the optical drive thingy, but I'd often leave in some dead/malfunctioning drive in case I was missing one of the front covers (often not even connecting it) so it saves on dust buildup inside the case.
Btw, I like how you used a classic harddrive instead of a flash drive.

Woolie Wool wrote:

Heh, nice "sticker". Does anybody sell reproduction stickers for old processors or do people who try get sued by Intel?

I never got a complaint from Intel and I've been using mine on this forum for years 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 10, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Woolie Wool wrote:

Heh, nice "sticker". Does anybody sell reproduction stickers for old processors or do people who try get sued by Intel?

I see some stickers with "486" and "Pentium" on Ebay.

keropi wrote:

Welcome! A great first lost as well - I also mount pots to adjust speaker volume 🤣 🤣 🤣

So easy to make, yet so useful 😀

chinny22 wrote:
I've only ever used Dos 6.22 but I would think you should be able to recognise upto 2GB Fat16 drives. You could try a later fdis […]
Show full quote

I've only ever used Dos 6.22 but I would think you should be able to recognise upto 2GB Fat16 drives. You could try a later fdisk version say Win98 on a boot disk.
Your installed OS wont mind if you used a later version to create the partitions.
I can imagine your controller is actually limiting it. My 486 can detect upto 8GB drives but refuses to boot with any HDD above 6GB, even if its just the data drive.

Bonus points for networking Win 3.11 as well! I feel a certain achievement doing that on my computers, its also how I transfer files between my pc's (and if I'm honest the only real reason I go into windows)

I' ll have to try it, I made two 1.2GB partitions on HDD at last, but I don' t remember how I did it.I think that this issue is connected with old Fdisk, because it does see only 504MB of the CF card. I can see full capacity of the card in diagnostic tools.

Tetrium wrote:

230W is actually pretty good for an AT PSU. Standard ones were usually 200W, sometimes 150W or so. I'm not sure how much this actually matters though, the quality of these PSUs seemed a bit sketchy at times.

When you mentioned it, I realized that indeed, all of my other AT PSUs are 200W (and one IBM 130W in 5150's case).

Tetrium wrote:

It seems there's some black-ish dust on the bottom ribs on the front bezel, but the insides look pretty clean.

Oops, I have to clean it!

Tetrium wrote:

Usually AT PSUs used fans that were running at 100% speed continuously and if you really get worried about some heat problem, you could shoehorn a fan into the front of the case (or just leave the side panel off), but I doubt this will ever be needed in any normal conditions.

Yeah, it is more a visual issue than a heat problem. With heatsink, working fan, and Cpuidle driver installed the CPU does not even have chance to become warm.

Tetrium wrote:

Is your board a 386/486 combo board? I regret having binned mine.

According to the manual, this board supports CPUs from 386DX 33mhz to 486DX2 66mhz. Also, Redhill website states it also works well with 386DX 25 mhz and 486DX4 CPUs. I REALLY wanted to install 486DX2, but it just does not work for me.

Tetrium wrote:

I'm not sure what to do to try and fix the optical drive thingy, but I'd often leave in some dead/malfunctioning drive in case I was missing one of the front covers (often not even connecting it) so it saves on dust buildup inside the case.

It' s just a small flaw. Luckily I have plenty of front covers 😀 and at least I can listen to some audio cds while playing games.

Reply 6 of 10, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! I made whole 1GB on the CF card visible for system 😀

Fdisk from Windows 98 and Partition Magic were making FAT16 partitions on it, but it was still unreadable in DOS.
I used XFdisk program, and I have seen that partitions on my hard drive were "Fat16>32M" type, but the partition on CF card was "Fat16 INT13". I deleted it, made new 1GB partition and changed partition type to the first one (the partition type code was "06" according to https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partit … on_types-1.html). I rebooted and reformatted partition as whole 1GB. It is now recognizable for both DOS and Windows 7.
Bonus: Speedsys benchmark of the CF card (it still shows only 504MB for some reason, and it was not able to perform all the tests on this card):
mdggiXL.gif

Reply 7 of 10, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That system will be even better with IBM Model F/M keyboard, IBM mouse.. Also you can upgrade the machine with DX CPU with faster speed, and the video card as well, it will become even better.
That DvD looks way too new for that system, add some CD...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 8 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice work on the CF - they make transferring files / backing stuff up so easy. And nice system BTW I missed it somehow. I had a 486SX as a youth and thought it was magic (until DOOM came along and had me lusting after a DX2 66 Overdrive 😀)

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 10, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wish I could change CPU to a DX one, but for some reason the motherboard does not recognize it. I noticed that the motherboard does have a "386 BIOS" chip on it, maybe that is a reason. Now I am thinking about replacing this motherboard to another one just for being able to use that DX2...

Reply 10 of 10, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just solved the problem with DVD-ROM corrupting data, I have done it by accident and I don' t understand why it does work now 😀 but still I will post my solution in case that someone could have similar problem:
- I noticed that DVD drive might be too fast for 486 system, so I swapped 20x drive with 12/40x
- I also greatly increased number of buffers by changing one of switches of SHSUCDX driver (instead of /M:20 i put /M:256)
- I changed drive mode to "Cable Select" (I was still getting errors when drive was Master or Slave)
Now it does read DVD+R and most of CD-ROMs perfectly. It has problems with DVD-R, but it is an old drive and might just not support this standard well.