VOGONS

First post, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It has two vertical slots instead of the usual two horizontal and it has a non-angled front!

Specs as I remember them (monitor upgrade)

4.77 MHZ intel CPU. I remember the dates 1978,1979,198x (copyright).
256KB onboard RAM
Monochrome display adapter (green output only)
10-30 Megabyte HDD (Which didn't come standard on the 5150.)
5'25" 720KB (?) Disk drive (or 360KB)
It had, I believe, been modified with a battery to hold the date, unless I'm thinking about another computer.
Kensington lock in front.

Here's the only image I have

2DNXMJRl.jpg

Reply 2 of 8, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if the computer was stock at all. Interesting to know that the 5170 didn't come with the 8088 CPU installed. Might have had a replacement board installed, yes. I don't know why the downgrade though, because I remember it clearly being a 4.77 Mhz 8088 CPU. It later got "upgraded" to a 286, then a 386 SX-25 and a 486 DX2/66.

Also, it did not have an graphics adapter. It could only display the output color green (not with the monitor pictured).

Reply 4 of 8, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

I'm more interested in the jigsaw. Do you remember what it was of?

Yes, most certainly. It has a sad story behind it too.

An old woman I knew owned it and gave it to me. When she was a kid she sleepwalked and fell out of a window and busted up both her legs, so she was restrained to a wheelchair, and as far as I can remember she lost her son when he was quite young (it was his puzzle) and then she gave some of his things to me.

The title was "The new Datsun Cherry", and it was a picture of a brand spanking new Datsun Cherry in front of a bar.

The (non-english speaker here. Please bear with me) motive of the picture was the painting:

pEe17tWl.jpg
8RpGgNIl.jpg

Reply 6 of 8, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:
mikedebian wrote:

It has two vertical slots instead of the usual two horizontal

Err... no. 😉

What do you mean? Usually the images I've seen of IBM personal computers, they have two 5'25" drives next to eachother, while in this setup one is above the other (vertical).

Reply 7 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

Looks like an IBM AT 5170, which was a 286 at 6 or 8MHz. Maybe it had a replacement XT motherboard installed?

Or perhaps it's not an IBM at all?
I know a friend of mine had a V20 clone back in the day, and it was in an AT-like case, such as this one.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 8 of 8, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scali wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

Looks like an IBM AT 5170, which was a 286 at 6 or 8MHz. Maybe it had a replacement XT motherboard installed?

Or perhaps it's not an IBM at all?
I know a friend of mine had a V20 clone back in the day, and it was in an AT-like case, such as this one.

I never thought about that. I did have original IBM software that came with it, however the BIOS did not show the IBM logo at all. I was just thinking it might have been due to the monochrome display.